It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User
Question Accutane - The lower the dose, the less severe of an initial breakout??

Does anyone know if taking Accutane at say, 20 mg for 6 or 7 months would yield a less severe initial breakout than taking 60 or 80 mg for 3 or 4 months?? Just curious.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User
Re: Accutane - The lower the dose, the less severe of an initial breakout??

that's the theory. my 'breakout' was more of an explosion, an eruption of hell, really, didn't slow down until my dose was upped to 80mgs/day. but i'm told my reaction is not typical.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

btw, i was on 40mg/day for about 4 months, and have been on 80mgs/day the past three. hopefully i'll be done soon!

Old 06-01-2005, 09:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Thanks for the response arock. So your initial breakout didn't get better until your dose was upped? Hmm. I was hoping that a lower dose over a longer period of time would be a good way to avoid an initial breakout. First time I went on Accutane, I was put on 80 mg a day (I only weight 100 pounds!) So I had a major explosion of acne - my face hurt when I would lay it on my pillow to go to sleep at night. I myself took the initiative to bump myself down to 40 mg every other day... once I did that, my skin started to clear. I am not considering going on Accutane again right now, but I have a feeling in the future I will probably need to.

Does anyone know if as you take a second or third course of Accutane, is the initial breakout better than the first time you take it? Also, has anyone been on 20 mg a day and had a bad initial breakout?

Old 06-08-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
(female)

nicnac8383 HB User

i have been taking 20 mg a day now for the last 3 weeks and all i have noticed is progress, its really quite amazing! i broke out with maybe 6 new spots in the first week or two but these were all spots that i could feel under the surface and my face was really so messed up it really didnt feel like a huge breakout, just more like a normal week for me. My dosage is upped to 40 mg a day next week and i will continue to be on this dosage for 6-9 months depending on what my derm thinks. But i would defo recommend accutane to anyone with mod/severe acne that wont clear up with other treatments. even though i do still HATE my skin without make up on i still cant beleive the progress in 3 weeks! Good luck to everyone out there and we can beat acne! oh yeah!

Closed Thread