It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

KJsMom HB User
I'm Amazed at the Way Accutane is Pressed on Patients

I took my son to the dermatologist the other day. He has acne, but mostly clogged pores and pimples. No cystic acne, that's for sure. The doc put him on doxycycline but really tried to push the Accutane. I was horrified as I had read and heard about the psycotropic effects of the drug. Since then I have done more reading and it seems like very dangerous medication that is certainly contraindicated for him for a variety of reasons. My dentist told me that another dermatologist had tried to push Accutane on his kids, and he would have no part of it either.

I can see if you have really severe acne and have tried everything (even then I think it's a frightening drug) but it seems like the doctors are very nonchalant about it.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User
Re: I'm Amazed at the Way Accutane is Pressed on Patients

It was recently proven that Accutane is NOT the link to depression or other psycological problems, as once thought. Also, yes, Accutane can be a dangerous drug, but when monitored correctly by your dermatologist, it is a prayer come true for so many people with acne, and not "just" the ones with severe acne.

I do agree that many dermatologists' push the Accutane thing, but it really is the closest thing right now to an acne "cure." It really is a miracle drug. The most common side effects are dry skin, lips, and eyes, join pain, nose bleeds and headaches. Some people experience these symptoms to the extreme, others do not. When I was on Accutane, I had dry lips and slightly drier skin, but that was it. When I went in for my blood tests (to check liver enzymes) they were always perfectly in check. My skin cleared up beautifully!!! I was so depressed about my skin before Accutane (to the point of staying in my room crying almost everday) but after Accutane, I was a new person. Accutane actually not only cleared my skin, but my depression as well!

Perhaps Accutane is not the best path for your son right now, but if his skin progressively gets worse, I hope you don't completely rule out Accutane in the future. My mother was very, very skeptical of me going on Accutane (I was 17 at the time.. almost 21 now) for the same reasons you are skeptical of the drug. But finally, after my constant persisting, my mom reluctantly caved in. After I was done with the treatment, and my skin was soo clear, my mom said she wished she would have let me do it sooner b/c it was SO worth it. It was a relief for all of us.

I understand your concerns with Accutane and pushy dermatologists. Just know that Accutane, for many, many people, is a tolerable drug that gives one of the greatest gifts of all - clear skin! I don't mean to sound like a commercial for Accutane or something, but it just worked so well for me, a few of my friends and even my now boyfriend that I will forever be a fan of the drug - if ever my acne got bad to the point it used to be, I would go back on it a heartbeat.

I commend you for researching the drugs your derm suggests, that is always a wise decision to do your own research before jumping head first into anything. But keep an open mind about Accutane in the future! Good luck to you and your son, I wish him the best. Tell him to hang in there, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel!

Best wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

I agree, no derm should prescribe this for moderate acne, especially to a teenager.You should make an very educated and personal decision regarding accutane. My personal opinion is that most of the people who have had horrible side effects have not taken the time to learn about the drug or to take care of themselves as advised by a doctor. Personal responsibility is key. I see post all over this board, kids on accutane that don't have clue one about the possible side effects and their parents don't bother to listen either and then are mad when something happens to their child. When I see "why am I breaking out?" "why is my lips/skin peeling" "how much can I drink on accutane" "Why am I having hair loss" you should know all these answers before you start your treatment. Someone like this should not be on accutane. As with any drug their is a small minority who just can't take it no matter how well they take care of themselves. It all comes down to personal responsibilty and most people don't want to take any, just pop a pill. That is why the rest of us have to jump through hoops to get on a med like this, its pretty pitiful.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:30 PM   #4

boulder21 HB User

I was very scared of this stuff as well because of all the stuff I had read. I've been on it for almost 5 months with NO problems at all besides a little dry skin. When I say NO problems I also mean no acne!!! I'd trade acne for dry skin everytime!!! I so wish I had considered this stuff earlier. I suffered way too long trying meds that don't get to the root of the problem...the root being the fact that my seb glands (and everyone elses reading this) are too large and produce too much oil. Isotretinoin (accutane) acts by shrink glands, hence dry skin.

I would seriously consider it but also seriously watch for side effects if you decide to take it!

Last edited by boulder21; 06-02-2005 at 06:31 PM.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:01 PM   #5

sadend HB User

Accutane is the only thing that really works. While acne might look moderate to a parent its Horrible to the person suffering from it. I have used virtualy every topical oral herbal acne product on the market for my mild-moderate acne nothing helped i just kept breaking out till accutane.If I would have never gone off of it if not for wanting to get pregnant. As soon as i give birth i will be right back on it.Acne is not cosmetic is a very upsetting condition. It causes low sense of self worth and depression. Dont knock accutane and if anyone wants clear skin its the only answer even though its not a cure.Also doxy and minocycline have side effects too.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
(male)

mikegoons HB User

Im on it now and ive never had severe acne and yes Ive tried numerous other ways to cure my moderate acne. Even if you dont have cystic acne moderate acne can still affect and often ruin your social life. Im trying to put acne behind me and if this is the only way to go then i can deal with the side effects. No depression so far. On my 3rd week.. . .

Old 06-03-2005, 05:51 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

WOW!!

My dermatologist only gives out Accutane as a last resort!!! You gotta go through a whole bunch of different medicines (topicals, antibiotics, cleansers) before she'll give you Accutane. But from y'all's posts, it looks like there are those who freely give it out. I find that kinda scary since it is a very powerful drug and has numerous side effects. I guess all dr's are different though....

Old 06-03-2005, 05:58 AM   #8

sadend HB User

Before my derm gave it to me i musta tried 2 oral and 6 topicals over 3 years.
Plus in the long term antibiotics damage your system more then accutane.
Accutane is amazing and gave so many people back their life. With any medicine there are good and bad. But there are many nutty people on the net who can scare you half to death

Old 06-03-2005, 08:13 AM   #9
(female)

portrgirl HB User

Sadend has a very good point. The antibiotics that are given out to acne patients have many side effects, especially if you plan to be on them long term! I was on amoxicillin for about 5 years and recently went off it 2 months ago. My skin is turning back into what it was before I started it so I obviously haven't out grown it but the side effects that I had w/ the amox weren't good. (Nasty yes,) but I basically had a yeast infection year round for the last 2 years I was on it. My thumb nails are now ruined (beau's ridges most likely an effect of the amox). I'm starting doxy, and although it's only my second day, I feel nauseous (sp).

Try searching for "long term side effects of periostat" and you'll find articles on the long term use of antibiotics leading to an increased risk of breast cancer and other interesting things. Not that I'm saying that accutane is safer than antibiotics. I just wish my doctors hadn't told me that it was perfectly fine to be on them so long.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Yes I agree, I was put on a wide range of antibiotics, magic creams, and other medicines by my derm for nearly two years. We tried everything in the book. He would mention going on Accutane each time I wanted to try "something else," but my mom at the time wanted to try everything before Accutane. Well, as I said in my other post, once I went on Accutane, both my mom and I wish we would have listened to the derm and went on Accutane sooner instead of wasting money and my health on antibiotics and creams that didn't do ANYTHING. Sometimes I think that the derms who DON'T put their patients on Accutane and instead push hundreds of other products (that usually dont work for severe acne) are the REAL dogs... in the long run, they know the acne won't go away using all the topicals and antibiotics, and that the patient will have to keep running back to them for "another cure." Lots of derms know the powerful success of Accutane, and I think that may worry a lot of derms because once clear, they'll lose a patient! (Just a theory).

Old 06-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #11

sadend HB User

Cassie you could not be more right!!!!

Old 06-03-2005, 10:30 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

i turn 31 next week and so wish that i had been able to go on accutane 15 years ago, would have saved me 15 years of shyness, heartache, self-conciousness over my skin, not to mention countless thousands of dollars on stuff that didn't work.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #13
(male)

jashikcrib HB User

The derms I've been in touch with normally provide Accutane as a last resort, the so called A-bomb to acne treatment. They're normally try to put you on oral and topical antibotics/retinoids for a period of time 1st and advise you on the types of foods that might flare up your acne. None of my derms have pushed Accutane on me, in fact it's always been the other way around. I've always asked them about prescribing Accutane since I know what works for my body (and antibiotics doesn't cut it). I've had four courses of Accutane and I still continue to break out after about 6 months off the treatment. I've seen my friends get "cured" by Accutane after one round however I've had no such luck. Certainly the long term side effects of Accutane are a concern, but maintaining a healthy low-fat diet while you're on the pill is definitely a must. Unfortunately, unless the derm provides natural/herbal supplements for your acne, all prescription drugs will have a side effect - that's just something you'll need to manage on a case to case basis.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:42 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

i had to ask for it too!

Old 06-03-2005, 11:13 AM   #15
(female)

shea31 HB User

I am very interested in accutane. I am pregnant right now but my doctor said something about trying it after I have the baby. I have mild acne but nothing will get rid of it. I have tried lots of things because I am scared to try accutane. Especially in my childbearing years. I was wondering If most people break out really bad when they start and how long you have to stay on it.

Last edited by shea31; 06-03-2005 at 11:14 AM.

Closed Thread