It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #1
(female)

Danceislife HB User
Whats Accutane?

I when't to the dermatologist ( in tears ) today for the 3rd time he talked about accutane. What is accutane? Should i do it? Any comments would be great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 10:30 AM   #2

boulder21 HB User
Re: Whats Accutane?

Accutane is a very powerful drug that is used as a last resort for severe cases of acne or cases that do not respond to other treatments. The generic name is isotretinoin. Isotretinoin is found naturally in everyones body but when on accutane the doses found in the body are much higher. Isotretinoin (accutane) is produced by the body from vitamin A. DO NOT take vitamin A supplements. That can be dangerous given you can't predict how your body will convert vitamin A to isotretinoin and in what qauntities. When taking isotretinoin the dose is controled and gradually increased which would not be the case taking vitamin A supplements.

In addition beta carotene is converted to vitamin A. While taking beta carotene is safe it probably won't have the effect you're looking for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

hey danceislife. accutane cleared my skin beautifully, but it got a whole lot worse before it got better, and it took a long time. it is no small thing to use this drug as it is very powerful and has many potential side effects. however, it could possibly be the last acne treatment you'll ever need, which is why i decided to do it, despite the risk.

accutane shrinks the sebaceous glands, where oil is produced, thereby reducing the environment where bacteria thrive. kinda like draining a swamp to get rid of mosquitos, and in my case, alligators!

tane is usually prescribed for, "severe, recalcitrant, cystic acne" or big acne that won't go away. if you are crying in your derm's office, and nothing else has worked, i'd recommend that you first, go online and do at least a few hours of good, solid research so you can evaluate the risks and benefits for yourself. then gitcher buns back to the derm's and get on the accutane. it's certainly no picnic, but it's not exactly torture either, more like being pregnant, kinda. you'll be uncomfortable and inconvenienced for a few months, but at the end you'll have something beautiful.

so far i've had the following problems: severely chapped lips, back pain, joint pain, suppressed immune response (had a lot of colds this winter), periodic elevated levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, difficulty recovering from physical activity like working in the garden or working out in the gym, dry skin with the odd flaky spot, dry hair, dry nose, general fatigue, and terrible hangovers, twice. don't drink on accutane!!! it's bad for you and your liver, and you'll get a terrible hangover! and it's a pain in the booty getting blood drawn and going to the doc and pharmacy every month.

i've been on it for 7 months now, and so far, so good, overall. do some research! it's the only thing that will ease your mind about it. good luck tiny dancer! ali

Old 06-03-2005, 02:57 PM   #4
(female)

Danceislife HB User

Thanks arock! But my acne is'nt even that bad infact it was better befor i went to the dermatologist. Well it was bad enough to go. But he prescribed me retin-a micro which worked well on my face but i also have acne on my arms he said it was ok to use it there too, so anyway after useing it for a while i broke out in this red itchy rash thing went back and he said it was exema so my retin-a micro gave me exema. But then he gave me this stuff called triamcinolone acetonide cream to heal the exema which makes my skin break out in acne. Does anyone know what i should do? Accutane kinda scares me. But i'll do anything! How long does it take to start working? Do you break out really bad befor it gets better? Please anyone?

Old 06-03-2005, 03:06 PM   #5

TiffyBaby221 HB User

Accutane is amazing

Closed Thread