It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
(male)

cmd28 HB User
Lightbulb My cure that worked

Dear all,

I used to visit this message board a few years back, and now that I have been 'clear' for over 6 months (for the first time in 10 years!!!) I felt that it was my duty to return and give my report on what worked for me.

Firstly, some background - I am 28, male, and have been suffering from moderate to severe acne since around age 17. This wasn't restricted to the face, and included back, neck, shoulders, and chest.

I tried just about every topical and antobiotic, and then at age 21 I took accutane (roaccutane) under proper supervision of a dermatologist.

Accutane cleared me completely, but only temporarily as it merely seemed to just temporarily shut off the oil, which came back within a few months of my course finishing. My face returned with acne, but interestingly my body remained clear ever since.

So for the next few years I just gave up and learned to live with it on my face. But then last year I adopted a new strategy and it has worked completely. My first step was to stop using any product. No more salysilic acid, BHA, or even soap or anything. Instead, I showered using absolutely nothing but water!

The difference, however, was that I spent a lot LONGER showering my face than ever before. By longer, I am talking about letting the water spray on my face for at least 5-10 full minutes until oil the oil was fully removed naturally with just the water and with no assistance from any product. How could I tell it was fully removed? Because when I touched my face the skin was 'squeaky clean' just like dishes are supposed to be after you use washing liquid. Then I would dry my face vigorously with a clean, rough towel for a good minute or so. I would perform this simple, but patient, two-step ritual once every day (just before bed) or after any time I did sport. I did no other washing. After about a month I was down to just one or two small blemishes, which I would control with Benzoyl peroxide and after six months it's like my face has forgotten how to produce acne, and i dont even need B.p any more.

So my overall conclusion is that with oily skin you have to make sure that you really are removing the oil fully each day, and also that you do not irritate the skin with any foreign third-party products. Just stick to water. If this works for other people as well as it did for me, it surely puts Clearasil et al (and their grand consipracy) out of business.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 03:00 AM   #2
(male)

fowler HB User
Re: My cure that worked

Very interesting idea! It sounds like it could really work. Going to try it out tonight then.

Old 06-04-2005, 06:48 AM   #3
(male)

gettinfixed HB User

You said that you had like moderate acne. Was your acne just papules that could be seen? Did you have whiteheads under the skin? Did you have blackheads? The reason why I am asking is that I have whiteheads under my skin and its called Milia. Many websites suggests that exfoliation will help diminish this problem but its not working. I dont have acne that you can see. I just get whiteheads and blackheads. But uh, yea I have tried everything also and nothing seems to work. Did your acne get worse before it got better? How long did it actually take before you seen GREAT improvements? You said that you only do this 1 time a day right? So when you wake up what do you do? Nothing? I would appreciate you answering these questions because I also am trying to get away from the products but a little weiry you know? Thanks!

Old 06-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #4
(male)

OtakuBakA HB User

that is pretty interesting....

Old 06-04-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
(male)

cmd28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinfixed
You said that you had like moderate acne. Was your acne just papules that could be seen? Did you have whiteheads under the skin? Did you have blackheads? The reason why I am asking is that I have whiteheads under my skin and its called Milia. Many websites suggests that exfoliation will help diminish this problem but its not working. I dont have acne that you can see. I just get whiteheads and blackheads. But uh, yea I have tried everything also and nothing seems to work. Did your acne get worse before it got better? How long did it actually take before you seen GREAT improvements? You said that you only do this 1 time a day right? So when you wake up what do you do? Nothing? I would appreciate you answering these questions because I also am trying to get away from the products but a little weiry you know? Thanks!
Yes... I had moderate acne, papules, blackheads, sometimes small cysts. Not pleasant at all. I wouldn't say that it ever got worse when I started to do this, maybe only a little bit at the beginning as my skin had to get used to being weaned off these facial cleansers. I would say it took about 2 months before I saw GREAT improvements, and around 5 or 6 months before I was totally clear. But then I guess it takes time for skin to completely recycle itself and for your body to adjust to the change. As to when I woke up in the morning, I do absolutely nothing. I should also add that recently I began living in a very hot country, and therefore sweat a bit more, but I still stuck to the same system and I have been fine. It would seem I only need to have one proper, thorough cleanse and exfoliation per day. Any more is overkill.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #6
(male)

Ashfield HB User

Hey,

After washing did you use any product such as Benzoyl peroxide? Ive been told to use it after washing, twice daily. But i'm trying new idea's and cures.. ur cure defently sounds interesting!

Thanks, Ash

Old 06-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #7

Songbird80 HB User

this indeed sounds very interersting..I have a breakout at least once a month on my face, back, & shoulders, I take showers for about 30-45 minutes with body wash and my back still breaks out, and so does my face I think for me and a lot of people it's the pipes in our water system unfortunately.

Old 06-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
(male)

cmd28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird80
this indeed sounds very interersting..I have a breakout at least once a month on my face, back, & shoulders, I take showers for about 30-45 minutes with body wash and my back still breaks out, and so does my face I think for me and a lot of people it's the pipes in our water system unfortunately.
Hi... replying to this, I can't comment on water supply, but all I can say is that since I began this regimen everything got steadily better until I was completely clear. And during this period I was having my showers in the UK, France, Lebanon, and now the United Arab Emirates! I think as long as water is not ingested then it's mineral content doesnt really have an affect if it just being used to wash.

...and to reply to the other poster... for the described first 2 or 3months of this regimen I used b.p. once per day only after performing this ritual. Just spot applications to the one or two zits that did appear. After 3 months there was no longer any need for it at all. And now of course, I spend absolutely no money on anything!

I should also add one more detail - I only use an electric (dry) razor, as again I dont want to wet shave as this involved putting products such as shaving foam on my skin.

Old 06-05-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
(female)

health15 HB User

Very interesting. I'm not sure it would work for woman who wear makeup. A lot more than water is needed to clean off the makeup. But it might be a good morning routine.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:44 AM   #10
(male)

cmd28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by health15
Very interesting. I'm not sure it would work for woman who wear makeup. A lot more than water is needed to clean off the makeup. But it might be a good morning routine.
Actually, given that I am normally wearing suncream every day (as I am in a very hot country), I dont see that makeup can be considerably more oily and difficult to remove than this. As I stated before, the solution I found was really to do with just using water, and simply spending longer, much much longer with the water cleaning your face. Water alone will clean you, it just needs a lot of patience I think.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:39 AM   #11
(female)

LOtRsfan HB User

cmd28 wow thats very interesting! i think i'll have a go at using JUST water, cos i use faical cleansers, and i don't think they work!

Old 06-06-2005, 09:45 AM   #12
(female)

portrgirl HB User

Try using just water to remove foundation, blush, cover stick, eyeliner, mascara and eyeshadow. NOT as easy as you may think.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:29 AM   #13
(female)

shybit82 HB User

So when you shower and rinse your face for 5-10 minutes, what temperature would you say the water is? Lukewarm? Hot? I know the temperature of the water makes a big difference, so I just want to know what temperature has been working for you.
Thanks

Old 06-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #14
(female)

SolitaryBlaze HB User
Thumbs up Re: My cure that worked

Hello there.. I'm new to the board. I'm 27 and have had severe acne since I was about 13. I ended up finding out at the age of about 18 that I was allergic to peanut oils and that eating any foods that contained peanut oil was causing me to have severe break outs, this included deeply-set cystic acne as well. Well guess what my favorite food was? Peanut butter! (and some pretzels contain peanut oil too) I ate peanut butter numerous times of every single day. So once I learned this was my problem, I of course steered clear of Peanut butter (though it was like a smoker having to quit cigerettes!) and the problem lessened some. But I still have the scars pretty badly and the overly oily skin. So I'm not a professionaly by any means, but everything below is from experience.

In response to "My Cure That Worked" :

The rubbing vigourously with a towel afterwards I'm a liittle concerned about. As I've always been told to "dab" dry, not rub and scrub dry.

However the removing oil with nothing but water I do have to agree on, though my experience is done differently, it's a little shorter of a routine:

Make sure the water is warm... not too hot, but more hot than cold. Fold a wash cloth (with texture) and hold it under the warm water until it's completely saturated. Then press the cloth to your cheek. Wet the cloth again to warm the temperature back up, then press it to your other cheek.. Keep doing this until you've dabbed all of your problem areas; forehead, chin, neck, chest, etc. These are called Hot Compresses. Doing this allows the hot cloth to absorb the oils from your skin.

This can also be done before using a soap or cleansing agent as well. My dermatogolist told me to do it before using one, because if you draw the oils out BEFORE using the soap, then it allows the agent to do its job better.

*NOTE: The only time I would suggest NOT using this technique is if you have Rosecea. Rosecea's problem areas will become inflamed or more towards the service of the skin by contact with heat.

Hope this helps some of you!

A Partner in Battle,
- Blaze

Old 06-09-2005, 11:19 AM   #15
(female)

shybit82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryBlaze
Hello there.. I'm new to the board. I'm 27 and have had severe acne since I was about 13. I ended up finding out at the age of about 18 that I was allergic to peanut oils and that eating any foods that contained peanut oil was causing me to have severe break outs, this included deeply-set cystic acne as well. Well guess what my favorite food was? Peanut butter! (and some pretzels contain peanut oil too) I ate peanut butter numerous times of every single day. So once I learned this was my problem, I of course steered clear of Peanut butter (though it was like a smoker having to quit cigerettes!) and the problem lessened some. But I still have the scars pretty badly and the overly oily skin. So I'm not a professionaly by any means, but everything below is from experience.

In response to "My Cure That Worked" :

The rubbing vigourously with a towel afterwards I'm a liittle concerned about. As I've always been told to "dab" dry, not rub and scrub dry.

However the removing oil with nothing but water I do have to agree on, though my experience is done differently, it's a little shorter of a routine:

Make sure the water is warm... not too hot, but more hot than cold. Fold a wash cloth (with texture) and hold it under the warm water until it's completely saturated. Then press the cloth to your cheek. Wet the cloth again to warm the temperature back up, then press it to your other cheek.. Keep doing this until you've dabbed all of your problem areas; forehead, chin, neck, chest, etc. These are called Hot Compresses. Doing this allows the hot cloth to absorb the oils from your skin.

This can also be done before using a soap or cleansing agent as well. My dermatogolist told me to do it before using one, because if you draw the oils out BEFORE using the soap, then it allows the agent to do its job better.

*NOTE: The only time I would suggest NOT using this technique is if you have Rosecea. Rosecea's problem areas will become inflamed or more towards the service of the skin by contact with heat.

Hope this helps some of you!

A Partner in Battle,
- Blaze
So if you wear make-up through out the day, would you still recommend doing this routine before cleansing to remove the makeup then? Or would that just allow the make-up to go into your open pores?

Closed Thread