It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2005, 02:19 AM   #1
(male)

Viewsonic_123 HB User
Exclamation High Copper low Zinc - Hair analysis

I recently had a hair analysis, and it showed that i have an extremely high copper count, and a normal zinc count.
Zinc and Copper are antogonists, and means that the zinc in my body is not at full utilisation. I personally believe this could be a direct link to my Acne problems.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar circumstances where they have cured acne by taking high levels of zinc, and if so how much??

ZINC/COPPER ratio: 2.4/1, should be 8/1 :O

Copper: 8.4 should be around 2.4
Zinc: 18, should be around 20

Last edited by Viewsonic_123; 06-06-2005 at 02:25 AM.

Old 06-05-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
(male)

Viewsonic_123 HB User
Re: High Copper low Zinc - Hair analysis

ANYONE with any ideas?!?!!? PLEASE!

What is the most absorbant form of zinc?? surely someone can help me out!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
(female)

health15 HB User
Re: High Copper low Zinc - Hair analysis

where did you get the hair analysis? I was going to get a mercury level hair test from Greenpeace, but they wanted so much hair! They said that I needed to cut a bundle of hair at least 2 inches from the scalp and I just couldn't do it. It cost $25 and they use the data for a study. Did you need to give a lot of hair for the test you had? How much did it cost and where did you get it done? I bought some zinc today and was just going to take 1 a day. In the pm I take an antioxidant that has zinc included. They are 15 mg and it says on the bottle that this is 100% of the recommended dose. The antioxidant that I take has the same amount, so I am getting double what a normal person needs. I figure this should be OK, but I am just guessing. zinc is pretty cheap, so i am more likely to stick with it for a longer period. $7.20 for 250 tablets! That is less than $14 a year!

Old 06-06-2005, 02:23 AM   #4
(male)

Viewsonic_123 HB User
Exclamation Re: High Copper low Zinc - Hair analysis

Thank you health 15. I have started using Zinc Gluconate, taking around 75mg a day. I am pretty sure its safe, as its common knowledge that absorption through a tablet is pretty miniscule.

I got the hair analysis done by the request of my naturopath. She wanted to see the status of my minerals, and is convinced that the excess copper in my system is a significant reason behind my 4 year Acne. The test cost $108 (in australia), so its extremely expensive, however the amount we spend for this ******** acne makes this seem less extravagent. I mean, if it solves your problem, think of all the money u'l save in the long term.
I may point out that i am vegetarian, and this is known to be a common cause of copper toxicity/zinc deficiency. just a pointer to any other vegos out there.

I am not saying that this will solve the acne problem, however it could well be a significant factor. Interestingly enough, i searched this board, and found that someone else reduced their acne dramatically by reducing Copper related foods, so i am keen to give that a try. IF any one else has their own insight related to Copper/Zinc and how it can effect acne, PLEASE PLEASE contribute!

Closed Thread