It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
(female)

tscorpio24 HB User
Accutane!!!!..how soon can I go on it???????

I've been using differin cream and taking 100mg of doxycycline for about 2 months now. My skin is clearing a little..but not enough. I've been reading about how well accutane works for most people and I think I want to stop wasting my time with antibiotics and topicals and just get on accutane. I've had moderate acne since i was 12 and I'm now 24. I have a derm appointment the last week in June. Can my derm write me a prescription for accutane right away or is there a process I have to go trough first? How long before I can actually start accutane? Also, I don't have insurance so I'm wondering what the costs may be including dr. visits and blood tests.?Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Old 06-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User
Re: Accutane!!!!..how soon can I go on it???????

Hey I am in the same boat as you. I am also using the Differin and the Doxy 100mg. I have only been dealing w/ acne for almost 1 yr. but it is still making me miserable. I want to start accutane but I don't want my face messed up for my friend's Sept. wedding (I have to be a bridesmaid). Write me and tell me if you decide to try it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
(female)

tscorpio24 HB User

I definantly want to try it!!!! I can't wait to get on it...even if I do have to go through the initial break out. I'm more concerned with the costs of it. But I think it will be worth it in the end!!!

Old 06-04-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

Hey guys just some information on this subject for you.

1. Without insurance I think we figured it up for someone else on the board and it was $2000 dollars plus based on a 40mg dosage. Roche has a patient assistantance program for those who can't afford accutane, so you might want to check that out.
2. Do some board searches on the topics you are curious about, there is alot of good information on this board, so be sure to look through it. You will have to search for the Roche Assistance program information on this board.
3. Yes you have to jump throught a ton of hoops to get a pres for this drug esp if you are a female. Their is a month waiting period for females if you are approved for another preg test after you start your next period.
4. If you have not tried to treat your acne with many antibiotics you will not be allowed to get accutane this time around. For example if you have just used doxy and differen for a month, no you won't be getting a prescripton for accutane. You literally have to try every thing, for me it was years... before I could get on accutane.
5. The intital breakout really is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be esp if your face is already broken out when you start the meds, which it should be if you are starting accutane. Isn't your face already broken out??? So what is the difference?

Old 06-04-2005, 10:08 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

I think Arock posted the roche assistance prgram info in my thread

Old 06-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
(female)

tscorpio24 HB User

Thanks for all the info deltoro!! I am curious to find out whether other people had this much trouble getting your derm to prescribe accutane??????? I thought if you had cystic acne or scarring then you automatically qualified for accutane treatments. Am I wrong??

Old 06-04-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

Well when I went on my first visit to my derm. which was a month and 1 week ago he told me that we would try the antibiotics and the topicals. Then he said when I came back if he saw no improvement we would talk about accutane. And I though to myself I don't even look that bad!

Old 06-04-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
(male)

OtakuBakA HB User

im not so sure is accutane is really all that good...maybe if differin doesnt work for you in about 1 month you should try it.

Old 06-04-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

OK let me make this clear, you should try everything possible before you go on accutane, and your derm should not offer it to you until then. I tried things for years until we finally decided it has to be accutane, and my acne was VERY severe. If this is the only thing you have tried and you have only been on it a month I doubt you are a canidate for accutane. This is def a last measure when treating severe acne. It usually takes 6-8 weeks to see much improvement on any drug. I hope what you are on works for you so you won't have to go on accutane, its not a fun drug to be on.

Closed Thread