It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
(female)

mousetrap HB User
Spiro or Accutane

After having acne for ten years, (I'm now 23) I suspect that my acne is hormone related. I have an appt with a endo on weds and was planning to ask for spiro. But after doing research, it seems like I'll be on it for the rest of my life. Is this true? I really don't want on be on a drug for the rest of my life.

I was reading on one endo's website and he said that if his patients don't respond to spiro he prescribes accutane as a last resort. If this is the case, should i just skip the sprio and go straight to accutane? I know my appt is weds but i can't stop thinking about this stupid acne.

Can accutane help hormonal acne?

Old 10-17-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
(female)

pursesgalore HB User
Re: Spiro or Accutane

I wondered if you found an answer through reading the boards?

In my late twenties after battling moderate cystic acne for years with all the latest and greatest topicals and anitbiotics, I went on accutane. I was afraid but my derm said that her accutane patients were the happiest. I decided happiness outweighed side effects and was pleased with results. An initial breakout then clear. I should have done it years ago. Dry lips. A bit achey. Became additcted to Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour cream - lips, chapped nose. Still use it.

I brokeout a few years later and went back on a very low dose of Accutane (20 mgs once a day for three months). Worked great. A few years later, I started to beakout hormonally on the chin. Spiro knocked it out.

I don't care if I am on spiro until the day I die. Big deal. Keep it simple and move on.

Finally, follow the rules. No drinking on Accutane and be gentle to your skin. Use BCP.

Hope you are on a good treatment program now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread