It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 03:16 PM   #46
(female)

erica1213 HB User
Re: ACNE: The New Theory

KKbp,
Please post what you are currently taking. I know you posted before but it sounds like you've added an H2 blocker (cimetidine??).
I have a few more bits of info to add, but want to do a little more research for clarification first.
Interestingly, last night I had trouble sleeping and was sweating like crazy all night. I can't say if there is a definite connection but I had a really big dinner last night and I also had a glass of wine. I've noticed in the past that I often sweat at night and feel like I have a fever after drinking alcohol. I did some searching and found that alcohol causes the release of histamine. I also found that night sweats can be caused by histamine. Seems like an interesting connection.
Will post more later, but like I said, I want to do a little more research first.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #47
(female)

erica1213 HB User

I have been reading a lot about methionine and SAM-e. It seems that supplementation with these may actually RAISE levels of homocysteine, which can have dangerous cardiovascular implications. Some sites say that an increase in homocysteine can be avoided if B6, B12, and folic acid are taken too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2005, 06:43 AM   #48
kkpb7825

I am tremendously excited at how this thread is progressing...thank you to 'redshoes' for the invaluable info...

This is an amazing coincidence as i have recently completed a disertation on the pathways of homocysteine metabolism and its role in atherogenesis...

IN BRIEF: stick with me i will make it as simple as possible, however this stuff is important, together we are getting closer to the truth here....

the are two pathways of homocysteine (hcy) metabolism, 're-methylation' and 'trans-sulphuration'

Hcy is converted into methionine which is then converted into SAM which then is indirectly converted back into hcy...This cycle is driven by the amount of vitamins B6, B12 and Folic acid you take in (as well as betaine-which is in beet sugar and serine).

taking in too much methionine will temporarily increase SAM levels in the body because SAM is produced from methionine as i have just said.

SAM is used in the body to re-methylate things (like DNA or histamine) and so temporarily methionine can reduce histamine activation (as redshoes said). However over the long term methionine supplementation will lead to higher levels of hcy, which is a bad thing (and the reason why chemists decided NOT to add methionine to paracetamol as was once suggested)

'redshoes' is correct regarding the use of methionine every day, this may lead to increased levels of homocysteine

SAM however, although it is a source of methionine it also has many independant roles.

For example, it is the bodies 'universal re-methylator' (it donates methy groups to things) and so can de-activate histamine (which accepts the methy group). Also SAM activates a pathway that converts hcy into more healthy compounds (taurine, cysteine and eventually glutathione, the latter is an important antioxidant).

Thus i believe that SAM (or SAM-e) can be taken long term to de-activate histamine while methionine cannot.

As for the sulphur issue...redshoes is exactly correct once again when he/she said...

It seems that people who are under-methylators are deficient in sulfur. There is really no supplement, or pure form of sulfur, but one post in this thread mentioned methionine. Methionine is a sulfur containing amino acid that is used for histadelics in ortho but it must be cycled. Taking methionine EVERY day is not recommended and may cause problems

However As i mentioned in one of my very first replys in this thread...

MSM is a GREAT source of sulphur, and can (and should) be taken long term and at high dose.

WE are definately getting somewhere with this theory..

Thus Because histadelics have chronically raised histamine they 'run out' of SAM which can have bad consequences for the body, they become under methylators (as redshoes pointed out, for which i am greatful because i had not realised this before but now it makes perfect sence)...

So It seems that from ALL ANGLES histadelia seems to set up the appropriate conditions for acne-genesis...toxins, low nutrients, low zinc, high copper, immune imbalance, delayed-type hypersensitivity and now low-methylation...The evidence is breathtaking...i for one have over 90% of the signs of histadelia that cannot be explained by anything else (big hands, perfect teeth, thin, high blood sugars, sweaty (especially after certain foods) horrible hunger pains about half an hour after eating etc etc....

we should not ignore the significance of this theory.

Last edited by kkpb7825; 07-19-2005 at 06:55 AM.

Old 07-19-2005, 07:39 AM   #49
kkpb7825

ERICA...

KKbp,
Please post what you are currently taking. I know you posted before but it sounds like you've added an H2 blocker (cimetidine??).
I have a few more bits of info to add, but want to do a little more research for clarification first.
Interestingly, last night I had trouble sleeping and was sweating like crazy all night. I can't say if there is a definite connection but I had a really big dinner last night and I also had a glass of wine. I've noticed in the past that I often sweat at night and feel like I have a fever after drinking alcohol. I did some searching and found that alcohol causes the release of histamine. I also found that night sweats can be caused by histamine. Seems like an interesting connection.
Will post more later, but like I said, I want to do a little more research first

Im sorry i hadn't forgotton you, i wanted to clear some things up first...

lets get started....

If you recall i posted this earlier...

T Helper 2 Cells are raised by infection, vaccines, stress, faulty digestion, leaky gut, candida, eating processed sugars & flours, trans-fats like margarine, omega 6 fatty acids like canola oil - all of which can lead to adrenal exhaustion, a further complication...ie ACNE

To add to the above list of course is HISTADELIA.

So my treatment regime is based on re-balancing the th2:th1 imbalance and thus halting the delayed type-hypersensitivity reaction.

I will now go through the above list one by one showing how to re-set the imbalance and hopefully cure acne..

1). H2 ANTAGONIST... Ranitidine.. Dose: Initially 150mg twice daily, then after 1 week drop to 75mg twice daily (morning and evening)

I dont take cimetidine because it is hard to get hold of nowadays (and not as specific to H2 receptors), i take ranitidine, in the UK it is sold in the chemist as ZANTAC. IT is vital to take a H2 ANTAGONIST and NOT a H1 antagonist (commonly called 'anti-histamine')....because as the research (by ERICA and myself) has shown it is only H2 receptors that modulate the immune system and re-set the imbalance...

2). For Stress..i try to relax more and take the herb RHODIOLA (u should research this yourself )

3).For digestion itake various herbal teas plus plenty of fibre and i dont ever eat fruit after heavy protein meals.

4).candida; either paud'arco tea, or grapefruit seed extract twice daily

5).eating processed sugars & flours..i have gone on what is known as a GL diet, ie no simple or processed carbohydrate (including fruit juice and bread)..i have done this many times on its own and it has never worked for me, but as a part of this regime it is probably important. Also it stabilizes my blood sugars and hungar pains (from the histadelia)

6).trans-fats like margarine...dont ever eat them..use olive oil spread, no hydrogenated vegetable oils..

7).And for the fatty acid balance i take flax seed oil and evening primrose (have been taking these for years)...

8). TOXINS (due to histadelia) i no longer take the chinese medicine since the remarkable effect of the ranitidine, so now i just use alpha -lipoic acid, and a general liver detox supplement.

9). OTHER EFFECTS OF THE HISTADELIA... i also take MSM (5g per day), (due to the low suphur levels in histadelics) and zinc picolinate (again due to the histadelia)

THE EFFECTS...

Since doing this, my acne has completely cleared up, i literally have NO spots on my entire face (i still cannot believe this because i have been battleing it for 10 years) i also have noticed that the hyper-pigmentation is clearing very quickly..i no longer am using ANY benzoyl peroxide at all, (a first for 5 years), and my hunger pains have gone, i dont sweat anywhere near as much, my taste has improved, (oddly)...

But i must be scientific about this...i need someone else to try it, it is actually VERY easy to do, the diet is fine, it just involves low processed foods, and more fresh food (pretty standard), also i have swapped potatoes for sweet potatoes (lower GI and tastier) no more bread, or fruit juice. Lots of vegetables (metaboilism of veg produces the least toxin load)....

As a final point, i must say that alot of you will be sceptical, thinking that it is the diet that has cleared me up, but i MUST point out that i have been on a very similar diet on an off for the majority of the last 10 years , and it has never really cleared me up... also i have been on many of the above supplements for months, the ONLY new addition has been the ranitidine ...

This isnt gibberish, read the litterature, in this thread.Even if i have overlooked something, i may not have this may really work, the only way we'll know is if someone else tries it... and posts on here the progress

P.S. It took about 1 week of the above before i noticed sudden clearing of my skin..

(i also wash twice daily and use niacinamide gel...for a while though)

Last edited by kkpb7825; 07-19-2005 at 07:45 AM.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:42 PM   #50
(female)

erica1213 HB User

KKbp,
It is particularly interesting that ranitidine has been so effective for you because I found a study on cimetidine and acne that concluded that it's positive effect on acne was due to it's antiandrogen properties as opposed to it being an H2 blocker. Research studies seem to indicate that ranitidine does not have antiandrogen properties; therefore, your success with it suggests that we really are onto something with regard to H2 receptors.

Do you know anything about the effects of taking ranitidine long-term?

Old 07-20-2005, 05:39 AM   #51
kkpb7825

Erica...the study you are refering to speculates that the effect of cimetidine is due to its possible antiandrogen effects, but more recent research (see my research reply on page 8 of this thread, and sweetjades research on page 7..)...suggests that the effect of H2 antagonists is due to their ability to modulate the immune system.

Even in the study that you found, it mentions that hormone levels aren't actually altered, so perhaps they are so surprised by the effect of the cimetidine on the skin that they say that it must have some sort of androgen altering propertiy...? Because hormone imbalance is the ONLY acceptable current acne-genesis theory?..(this is common in the history of science..experimentors fitting in erronous experimental results with existing paradigms)

Either way, the science is building up, thanks to yourself, sweetjade, freerider and redshoes, the theory now has a tremendous amount of evidence, i am going to re-read all of the important posts in this thread, and summarize them and then re-post it because there is now so much infomation scattered around this thread, it needs to be brought together... i truely believe this could be a paradigm shift in the understanding of acne pathogenesis.

The reason i think this is because, before a new theory takes hold, the people with the illness notice that they have many things in common, (i.e the signs of histadelia..that have been posted early in this thread and that redshoes has added to) and scientists begin to notice seemingly unrelated associations with acne, such as zinc deficiency, refined carbohydrates, candiasis, stress and toxin overload, and of course HISTADELIA.....the problem is that all current theories (the paradigm) about acne-genesis dont explain why all of these things separately can cause acne....

But this new theory Shows the missing link, ALL OF THESE THINGS CAUSE AN IMBALANCE IN the immune system.....urika.....

We need to do more research however...

1).The relationship of this theory to hormonal imbalance..ie is a hormonal imbalance a cause, or an effect of the immune imbalance...?

2). How the above factors can cause the immune imbalance

3).How immune imbalance affects other known areas of acne-genesis, such as PPARs, Insulin resistance..what is the relationship?

4). the cause of histadelia...we know that histadelia is a main contibutor to Th2:th1 imbalance, but what else can be done?

5). Other possible therapies ?

Also in responce to the post by 'freerider' who said:

Perilla Seed Extract has been used for immune system balancing. Maybe it will have a positive effect on acne. Here's a list I found of what perilla seed extract supposedly does:
Suppress T helper Th2-type cytokine production, particularly interleukins 4, 5, 6, and 10 reducing inflammation
Encourage Th1-type cytokines reducing the allergic response
• Suppress IgE production reducing the immediate allergic response
Inhibit the overproduction of TNF-alpha reducing inflammation and allergies
Inhibit histamine release from mast cells responsible for allergic symptoms – a natural anti-histamine effect.
• Inhibit the breakdown of arachidonic acid into inflammatory leukotrienes

I have since ordered perilla seed, and will try it out, see it is any good, (though when i ordered it i actually had some acne, so now it will be hard to tell if its working, not that im complaining!)

BUT another interesting piece of research is that if perilla seed rebalances Th2:Th1, then this decreases inflammatory leuckotriene production, this could provide the link with PPARs....

Obviously i dont wish to bore you to death... but a while ago a study was published showing that a drug called ZILEUTON, (which is a LOX-5 antagonist).........

Zileuton, an oral 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor, directly reduces sebum production.

Zouboulis ChC, Saborowski A, Boschnakow A.

Department of Dermatology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany. christos.zouboulis@charite.de

BACKGROUND: Zileuton, a 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor, reduces the number of inflammatory lesions in moderate acne and inhibits the synthesis of sebaceous lipids. OBJECTIVE: To detect whether zileuton directly reduces sebum synthesis. METHODS: A 40-year-old female with mild disseminated sebaceous gland hyperplasia and seborrhea was treated with zileuton 4 x 600 mg/day over 2 weeks, was followed-up for 6 weeks after discontinuation of zileuton and was re-treated with low-dose isotretinoin 10 mg/2nd day over 5 weeks. Casual skin surface lipids and sebum synthesis were determined. RESULTS: Under treatment with zileuton increased casual skin surface lipids were normalized and synthesis of facial sebum was decreased. Six weeks after discontinuation of treatment casual skin surface lipids were increased again and synthesis of sebum returned to baseline. Subsequent low-dose isotretinoin treatment led to similar changes of casual skin surface lipids and sebum synthesis with zileuton already after 2 weeks. CONCLUSION: Zileuton directly inhibits sebum synthesis in a transient manner with a potency similar to low-dose isotretinoin at least in our patient.

This study is afollow up to a previous study showing the same thing...i have researched this and found that...the normal products of LOX-5 act on PPARs in the skin (sebocytes and keratinocytes) to increase the production of sebum and keratin...thus causing acne...The research by freerider suggests that Th2:Th1 imbalance causes increased production of the LOX-5 metabolites (ie increased activity of LOX-5).. so instead of giving Zileuton to inhibit LOX-5, which works...we can simply try to re-address the immune imbalance (an imbalance that is favored by modern western living)...ie with H2 antagonists and perilla seed (maybe?) The task now is what else can re-set the balance?

One last point that redshoes brought up is that histadelics, are low-methylators. This is a fascinating development, because methylation is such a vital process in the body, and may infact be the cause of the high levels of histamine (because histamine is de-activated by methylation)....What are the other efects of low-methylation? This is an urgent question that needs addressing?

Last edited by kkpb7825; 07-20-2005 at 05:46 AM.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:44 AM   #52
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Definately summarize this so that we can further see how we can connect the dots. As for my thoughts well, here's a few:

I have NO doubt that acne is some form of an immune disorder. After all, acne is classified as an "inflammatory skin disease" and for inflammation to exist we need inflammatory products such as immune mediatiors (IL-1a, IL-6, IL-8, IL-10, IL-12, TNF-a) and prostaglandins (PGE2, all involve PPARs), C-Reactive Protein (?), Histamine, Leukotriene-B4 and some others that I can't recall at the moment.

However, not all lesions and blood samples of acne sufferers appear to have the SAME immune mediators. Therefore depending on the type of infection or irritant, etc different types of immune response can result. For example I'm not histadelic based on above descriptions (I can take tons of folic acid with no problems, don't sneeze at light, do have cavities, etc) so I may not have high amounts of histamine in my system. I think this is important in helping to differentiate the different types of acne or their associated syndromes (Insulin Resistance, Hypothyroidism, Adrenal Disorders, Histadelia, etc)

Furthermore, if you are paying more attention to the news lately, chronic low grade subclinical inflammatory disease is now being considered the CAUSE of syndromes such as Insulin Resistance, (PCOS), Diabetes Type II, Heart Disease, Cancers, and probably others as well. Wel once again...what causes (not initates) inflammation???

There's some books I mentioned that bascially says the above and links that due to chronic inflammation, over time, years, decades of DAMAGE you will develop health or metabolic problems such as Hyperandrogenism, Insulin Resistance, etc.

So, could you imagine the ramifications, emotional and otherwise, if acne is RECLASSIFIED as being Delayed Type Hypersensitivity (DTH)? That puts it as a Type IV Hypersensitvity, whereas an Allergy, which is more immediate a reaction, is a Type I Hypersensitivity. I found another article dating 1988 that said that certain types of acne lesions involving p.acnes is a results in DTH! Hmm...that pretty much seems to to throw out that theory that it takes weeks or months for acne to form becuase a DTH reaction results in 24 - 72 hours!

Just as in Allergies, Intolerances or Chemical Sensitivities, DTH can occur in response to ANYTHING! Meaning no more wars about this does or doesn't cause acne, because in any given individual ANYTHING is possible. While 60% or 80% of those with a hypersensitivity may find they have certain foods in common that are their triggers, other people may find that it's something else that's usually "seems" normal (a pore clogging ingredient, a drug, a vitamin, a microbe, food coloring, preservative, etc.) For example if 90% of acne sufferers are just overreacting or sensitive to "normal" amounts of androgens...then wouldn't inflammation result somehow due to this???

Anyway, gotta go =)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 07-20-2005 at 08:14 PM.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:08 AM   #53
(male)

smite HB User

Wow this thread has turned very interesting. Most of this is definately over my head but I've been following it intently. I would be interested in attempting this regimen as I believe I am histadelic and this could possibly lead to an answer (crosses fingers). I am about at the end of my rope w/ acne and actually promised myself that I'd go back to the derm to start accutane if my acne hadn't improved by the end of July, but I am willing to give this a try first. I am heading out of town for a long weekend, but will be back next week some time and will start it then.

In the meantime, kkpb, based on the theory of SAMe helping methylation, would you consider adding it to your regimen? Also, it sounds like you will be adding Perilla Seed Extract. If so, what dosage?

Old 07-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #54
(female)

tinarr HB User

i know why i have acne.

PCOS.

Old 07-24-2005, 07:25 AM   #55
kkpb7825

Smite....this is just a quick reply because i am in the process of further research and summarizing all the infomation that we have accumulated thus far..but sweetjade is right...if this were to be reclassified as delayed type hypersensitivity then that truely would be a monumental shift in thinking and treatment...

A couple of updates

First, i would have considered SAMe in my initial therapy if i had realised the role of methylation in acne-genesis, but since my skin is now clear i wont be adding the extra expense.

Secondly, i have added perilla seed (it is actually very cheap and would appear theoretically to suite the purpose of damponing down all aspects of DTH quite well) so i may after a few more weeks replace the ranitidine with this...as a trial to see if it can be as affective.

Thirdly Since being made aware (by redshoes) of the affect of being a low methylator on ZINC status, (ie low methylators have a low zinc status and a high copper status)..i have cut out normal tap water from my diet (due to its high copper content) and now drink inexpensive (about 60p..or 1 dollar for 5 litres) mineral water with no copper, and i think this may be important.

Fourthly if acne sufferers are more likely to have a DTH, to a multitude of triggers due to an immune imbalance....and MANY things can cause the immune imbalance (histadelia being only one, refined carbohydrate being another, and some others include candiaisis, poor digestive system, low zinc,stress and basically every other causal factor linked with acne over the years!!)...then some of you will not have histadelia but still have the immune imbalance that leads to DTH and thus acne.....

For me...my two main factors were histadelia and refined carbohydrates, but treating the latter with diet never worked at clearing my acne alone until i started to treat the histadelia...but interestingly, a few days ago i got slack and started to eat alot of refined carbs (while still treating the histadelia) and i broke out in a few small spots about 2 days later...so obviously it isnt JUST histadelia for me!....

And as things ALWAYS are in retrospect....dont you think now that scientists should find it at least possible that acne is a DTH because as we all know that 1month time span for spot formation is a load of rubbish...its always been 1-3 days following an aggregative factor...

Anyway ill be back soon with a summary (this may take a little while though)..keep up the good work..

PS..could anyone explain HOW folic acid can INCREASE histamine levels...because i know that it does but after studying the methylation pathways folic acid is supposed to increase the production of methionine (and thus SAMe) from homocysteine and thus thoeretically lower histamine...???..back to medline i guess

Last edited by kkpb7825; 07-24-2005 at 07:28 AM.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:54 AM   #56
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

I have spent a great deal of time reading this thread. I think it is very interesting and offers some great insight however it is leaving out a huge part of the problem...HORMONES/ANDROGENS and sebum production.

I think it is remiss to not look at the entire picture and focus on histamines only.

IMO

Old 07-24-2005, 10:20 AM   #57
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant
I have spent a great deal of time reading this thread. I think it is very interesting and offers some great insight however it is leaving out a huge part of the problem...HORMONES/ANDROGENS and sebum production.

I think it is remiss to not look at the entire picture and focus on histamines only.

IMO

Actually it takes into account Hormones, including androgens, because Insulin Resistance can cause Hyperandrogenism for some of us. However, I've come across several acne sufferers that found that diet worked for them, but tested negative for thyroid, adrenal and gonad hormonal imbalances. Yet when they visited an allergest to get allergy tests or food intolerance tests they were found to be mildly allergic (this is not a DTH reaction) or intolerant (ths can be DTH) to certain foods, some of which they were avoiding. These are known as Hypersensitivities and as such, will active an immune response, thus an inflammatory reaction (acne?) should result.

Therefore, what this thread is doing is researching the role of the (skin's) immune system in all of this. Insulin Resistance is a SILENT (lol) Chronic Inflammatory Disease and Acne is an Inflammatory Skin Disease. So we want to know if inflammation, thus our immune system, is at the root cause of this. Afterall, most other skin problems are generally defined as being ONLY symptoms of an external or internal problem, but acne is usually not treated as such.

All the best

Last edited by SweetJade1; 07-24-2005 at 10:21 AM.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #58
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJade1
Actually it takes into account Hormones, including androgens, because Insulin Resistance can cause Hyperandrogenism for some of us. However, I've come across several acne sufferers that found that diet worked for them, but tested negative for thyroid, adrenal and gonad hormonal imbalances. Yet when they visited an allergest to get allergy tests or food intolerance tests they were found to be mildly allergic (this is not a DTH reaction) or intolerant (ths can be DTH) to certain foods, some of which they were avoiding. These are known as Hypersensitivities and as such, will active an immune response, thus an inflammatory reaction (acne?) should result.

Therefore, what this thread is doing is researching the role of the (skin's) immune system in all of this. Insulin Resistance is a SILENT (lol) Chronic Inflammatory Disease and Acne is an Inflammatory Skin Disease. So we want to know if inflammation, thus our immune system, is at the root cause of this. Afterall, most other skin problems are generally defined as being ONLY symptoms of an external or internal problem, but acne is usually not treated as such.

All the best
Researching only , the immune system in all of this is my point exactly.

Does insulin resistance and food allergies occurr then at the onset of puberty, which is when most instances of acne begin? How does adult onset of acne come into play? Acne that becomes present only after pregnancy?

I know many people who have signficant food allergies and have absolutely perfectly clear skin.

Again I state, looking only at histamines with a cameo visit to insulin resistance (which is responsible for a small percentage of hormonal imbalance) is not, IMO, an accurate theory to go on.

Best to you as well.

Old 07-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #59
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Yes!

* Insulin Resistance normally occurs in the mother during pregnancy.

* More Severe Insulin Resistance during pregnancy results in (Pre)Gestational Diabetes.

* Babies that are born premature, small for gestational age, or with low birth weight are also Insulin Resistant.

* Children that develp Premature Adrenarche or Precocious Puberty (age 8 or younger) are also Insulin Resistant.

* Onset of Puberty is defined as "a Temporary state of Insulin Resistance"

* Smokers and possibly long term "Passive" Smokers are also Insulin Resistant.

* Currently 30% of the U.S. Population is Insulin Resistant.

There are quite a few hormonal disorders that involve silent "asymptomatic" chronic inflammation that actually have acne as a symptom, so looking more so at the immune response for a while can't hurt, right? After all, most have been looking predominantly only at bacteria & androgens for decades now. It was thought that DHT was the culprit, even though inhibiting DHT has been found to NOT improve acne nor reduce sebum production.

Please note that Food Allergies are not the same as Food Intolerances which are not the same as Food Sensitivies or Hypersensitivities. Therefore most acne sufferers probably don't suffer from Food Allergies, but some OTHER Hypersensitivity disorder that can be brought on genetically and/or due to changes in the environment (in the womb, sometimes through breastfeeding, in the diet, due to nutrient defficiencies, antibiotic abuse, NSAID abuse, Candida, etc). Sometimes these hypersensitivities can be corrected for and sometimes they can't (if purely genetic).

Of course, using the example of food allergies, people that have food allergies don't have perfect skin UNLESS they avoid their food allergens OR they don't experience skin reactions as a symptom of their allergies.

Take care =)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 07-24-2005 at 03:37 PM.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:26 PM   #60
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJade1
Yes!

* Insulin Resistance normally occurs in the mother during pregnancy.

* More Severe Insulin Resistance during pregnancy results in (Pre)Gestational Diabetes.

* Babies that are born premature, small for gestational age, or with low birth weight are also Insulin Resistant.

* Children that develp Premature Adrenarche or Precocious Puberty (age 8 or younger) are also Insulin Resistant.

* Onset of Puberty is defined as "a Temporary state of Insulin Resistance"

* Smokers and possibly long term "Passive" Smokers are also Insulin Resistant.

* Currently 30% of the U.S. Population is Insulin Resistant.

There are quite a few hormonal disorders that involve silent "asymptomatic" chronic inflammation that actually have acne as a symptom, so looking more so at the immune response for a while can't hurt, right? After all, most have been looking predominantly only at bacteria & androgens for decades now. It was thought that DHT was the culprit, even though inhibiting DHT has been found to NOT improve acne nor reduce sebum production.

Please note that Food Allergies are not the same as Food Intolerances which are not the same as Food Sensitivies or Hypersensitivities. Therefore most acne sufferers probably don't suffer from Food Allergies, but some OTHER Hypersensitivity disorder that can be brought on genetically and/or due to changes in the environment (in the womb, sometimes through breastfeeding, in the diet, due to nutrient defficiencies, antibiotic abuse, NSAID abuse, Candida, etc). Sometimes these hypersensitivities can be corrected for and sometimes they can't (if purely genetic).

Of course, using the example of food allergies, people that have food allergies don't have perfect skin UNLESS they avoid their food allergens OR they don't experience skin reactions as a symptom of their allergies.

Take care =)
The theory is histamines, with a cursory visit to insulin resistance. Puberty resolves but in many cases acne does not. Babies are born, pregestational diabetes resolved, and an adult woman many times has a life long suffering of acne. A GTT can be performed and show no insulin problems yet still a woman suffers endlessly. Peri-menopause, menopause, menses etc. can cause significant flareups.

As far as food allergies I'm a bit confused. Your above posts seems to contradict what was said earlier. That being said, what would be the definition to food intolerances be? Latose intolerance? Does this then lead to acne?

Puberty can bring on insulin resistance but it also brings on huge hormonal changes.

One cannot rule out hormones. At the very least both are culprits.

Now back to histamines, are you suggesting histamines create insulin resistance or insulin resistance creates abundance of histamines?

I feel like I'm running in circles here.

Last edited by Constant; 07-24-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Closed Thread