It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Question Is this true of adult acne?

I read something on the internet about adult acne, and I was just wondering if there was much truth in it. Apparently, the pattern of acne in adults is mainly on the lower portion of the face, that being mainly jawline & around the chin. To those who are adults here, is this the pattern of your acne?

I've had acne for 10 years now. When I was in my teens, I used to get ALL TYPES of acne including cystic in all areas of the face, except jawline & around the chin. Now that I'm out of my teens, my acne are smaller pimples that are 95% jawline & around the chin. Has my teen acne now developed into adult acne. My greatest fear was that my acne would NEVER go away. And now it seems likely that it never will as my teen acne is now adult acne.

Anyways, adults, does your current acne happen to be jawline & chin? If you had acne as a teen and still do now as an adult, did your acne "change" patterns like mine did?

Last edited by Andrew29; 06-21-2005 at 10:29 PM.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User
Re: Is this true of adult acne?

I never had acne as a teen but when I got off my birth control pills for 3 months last summer my face exploded! I was 20 then and now I am 21. Adult acne is mainly hormonal but maybe that is only in women. Now I am back on the birth control pill Yasmin and my face is getting better. And yeah my acne is mainly around my chin and jaw but I do get some closed comedones on my forehead but they aren't bad at all. I think if your pimples are getting smaller and are only in one area now that is will go away soon. Just think about how much better it is now than it used to be!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
(female)

rachellepeters HB User

I never had acne until I turned 21. My problem areas are my neck and jawline like you're talking about and my BACK.

I don't really get zits...but more cyst/boil type problems.

I started washing with baking soda 2 days ago and hope this clears it up!!!!!!!
PS-I am now 30, and have been dealing with this for 10 years. Acne pills only turned my skin red and made me look unnatural, so I am doing no treatment.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:35 AM   #4

boulder21 HB User

Chin/lower jaw is the area where seb glands are largest. This is why many people you see with moderate acne will have acne in that area.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

When I was age 14-15, I had plain ol' pimples - little red whiteheads, and little red pimples that didn't hurt and were never bigger than the top of a pencil eraser. I had these randomly scattered around my face. Then I began to get cysts around the time I was 16, mostly localized on the lower portion of my cheeks and my chin. I went on Accutane and was completely clear for a little over a year.

Now I am going on 21 and the painful cystic acne is slowly, ever so slowly, starting to come back. It is ONLY on my chin and upper lip, a few on my jawline. My skin is virtually flawless everywhere else, and that is why it is so frustrating. I keep thinking, "If only my chin would clear - I would be fine!" But it's not clearing.

I am getting microdermabrasion treatments and was recently bumped up to 70% AHA peels...it's making my cheeks and forehead look REALLY nice (like porcelain) but it's doing nothing for my chin and jaw. I've continually been on birth control since age 15.
I've also been using the baking soda mask.. it's been helping my chin somewhat and I like how it makes my skin look even toned, but again, I am still breaking out in the chin area.

If things dont clear up after my treatments, I may just end up going on a second course of Accutane. It's the only thing that I know will clear me up perfectly!

Old 06-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

yup, andrew, that perfectly describes my current acne. i can't tell you how long it's been since i had a pimple on my forehead or nose.

cassie, how long have you been doing the aha peels? do they take long to recover from? is it expensive? how often do you go? have you tried regular dermabrasion, or just the micro?

Old 06-22-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

I have been getting the AHA peels for about two months now. I get a peel and micro every two weeks. I am getting them done at a plastic surgeon's office, and it was $800 total for a series of six micro treatments and then the peels are $75 a piece.

I started getting 30% AHA peels, then was bumped up to 50%, and now I am at the highest grade peel at 70%. The 30% and 50% peels didn't leave my face red or peely or anything. Made my tone look very nice. The 70% peel however, made me look like I had splotchy sunburn on my face, and my skin felt tight for a couple days but the results with the 70% peel were more dramatic, as in, my skin looks noticeably smoother and even toned.

I would recommend the peels for anyone who is done breaking out and is just looking for something to make their skin look healthier, more even toned, and to lessen red marks and shallow scars. If you are still breaking out, I would skip the peels b/c they really don't help with acne like I thought they would, but rather are used to "clean up" the wreckage that acne has left behind.

I've wanted to try dermabrasion, but it is too expensive plus with work and college I can't just take a couple weeks off to recover.

I wish my chin would clear up. I just made an appt. with my derm to discuss another round of Accutane. Here we go again! Well if you have any more questions about micro or peels arock I would be happy to answer them.

Closed Thread