It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 09:41 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User
Re: the TRUE solution to all acne!

Although I believe that food plays a role in controlling acne, I just wanted to say that I had CH done many years ago to help clear my skin and it did nothing. Just wanted to add that before somebody runs out and does this. Also, if you do try this be very careful about choosing your practitioner.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:48 AM   #17

SnowBnny HB User

I dont' believe food is the cause in all cases. My friend who eats horrible. Drinks soda all day, doesn't drink water because she hates it. Eats garbage, candy..ect.. but is rail thin only because she is active. She has flawless skin. Perfect flawless skin. And she is 27. She has been eating this way her whole life basically.
Now, another friend of mine, who is a health addict. Eats no junk. All water. has a nutritionist. This one has acne.

For me, I had bad acne in my teen years and it cleared up since I hit my 20's. I have clear skin since. Only problem I have is that it is dry. I never changed my eating habits so why is it clear now. I believe in my case it was hormonal.

I truely believe that acne is hormone related. That is why some people go on the pill that clears up acne and it works without changing their diet. I know someone who went that route too. I think food helps keep your skin in top shape to a degree, but I don't feel it has an effect on whether a person has or doesn't have acne. Maybe it is food realted for some, hormon for another, genes for another. I don't know. There are alot of theories out there.

This is my personal opinion.

Last edited by SnowBnny; 06-27-2005 at 10:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 11:16 AM   #18
Inactive

Buck Rogers HB User

Each individual's body responds differently to any of the three main factors, which play a major role in acne formation:

1. overproduction of sebum
2. irregular shedding of dead skin cells
3. bacteria buildup

Hormones, certain medications, heredity, and stress are additional factors, which may contribute to the formation of acne. Sebum production is predominantly under hormonal control, especially in regard to androgenic (male) hormones. Thus it is not surprising that several hormones given as medications can cause or aggravate acne. Androgenic hormones, higher in males than females, which surge during puberty, both enlarge the sebaceous glands and increase oil secretion from these glands. In addition to causing physical growth changes during this time, the increased sebum production also results in increased clogged pores; this is a major reason why acne is so prominent within males of this age group. While androgens are regarded as a factor for increasing acne, female hormones or estrogens, may actually improve acne in females.

Bacteria can also play a role in the formation of acne. During puberty, the number of surface bacteria such as Proprionibacterium acnes (P. acnes), Proprionbacterium granulosum and Staphylococcus epidermis increases. The formation and severity of acne is not dependent on the number of bacteria present. However, P. acnes can produce enzymes and inflammatory mediators, which are thought to contribute to acne.

Although there has been no discovery of an "acne gene", Acne vulgaris frequently has a recognizable pattern of familial inheritance, especially in the case of severe acne. There have been studies highly suggestive of genetic predisposition. Claims that stress causes acne are largely exaggerated. While stress has not been proven to actually cause acne, it can trigger flare-ups. This is because when the body encounters stress, it steps up production of cortisol, which causes the sebaceous glands to produce more oil.

Depending on the person, there are other factors, which can promote the formation of acne. For example:

Teenagers are often afflicted with acne due to:
1. higher levels of sex hormones during puberty
2. these hormones are converted into DHT (dihydrotestosterone), which stimulates enlargement of the oil glands
3. these oil glands also produce higher levels of sebum
Severe acne formation may be due to:
1. heredity or genetics
2. medical conditions such as polycystic ovaries, enzyme deficiencies, excessive corticosteroids
3. environmental factors such as cosmetics, pressure from headbands and chinstraps, petroleum oils, humidity and certain medications
4. picking or "popping" pimples

There are many widespread common myths associated with the causes of acne such as:

1. Eating chocolate and greasy foods - While it is beneficial to eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water, there is no substantial evidence associating food with the production of acne. Some reports do support the idea that some foods may worsen an already present acne condition.

2. Dirty skin - As stated previously, sebum and dead skin cells clogging pores result in acne, not dirt. Actually, if skin is washed too often or too hard, irritation may actually make acne worse.

3. Only people with oily skin get acne - Acne forms under the skin, not on the surface. Excess surface oils may, however, be regarded as an irritant. Gentle, daily cleansing helps remove the surface oil.

4. It's just a cosmetic disease and you will "grow out of it" - Acne presents itself in many forms with various lesions and bumps for various reasons. Not all acne is the same and cannot be treated in the same manner.

These reasons are not considered to be credible in determining acne formation in an individual.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:05 PM   #19

SparkZ HB User

LOL I can definitly tell you that food doesn't cause acne. I have had moderate-severe acne for almost 12 years and have been to derm after dern and they would tell me to cut out salt, cut out chocolate, cut out wheat, cut out this and that and the other thing. So I did. I'd cut out one and then not eat it for about 2 months and I still had acne. Then I'd try the next thing and I'd still have acne then finally I cut everything they said out of my diet inclding red meat, fish, processed sugar... all kinds of stuff and believe me that was really hard to do when youre 14 and going to b-day parties with your friends and cant have chips or cake or anything because you're afraid it will make your skin bad. BUt it already was bad and food definitly wasn't the cause and I know that now since I found my cure 4 months ago.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #20
(male)

mikegoons HB User

u wanna enlighten us sPARKZ?

Old 06-27-2005, 07:48 PM   #21
(female)

jazmella HB User

You guys have to remember: Just because you start eating well, and still have acne, doesn't mean food is unrelated to the cause. When you begin eating properly, your body starts slowly detoxifying itself, and this may take months and months, depending on how severely damaged your insides are from all the junk you've been feeding it.

You may eat junky for only a month, but it could take three or four times that for your body to detoxify.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #22
(male)

college_mike20 HB User

i agree with you on that, just becuase you cut out junky food temporarily it still may take months for your colon to cleans itself completely.
for the person who said that he took CH and it didnt clear up there skin...well it does all depend on how much waste is in your colon, some waste has been there since you were 5 and is really hard compacted waste stuck to the walls of your colon, my first CH i didnt see any difference at all, but i asked the therapist and she told me that it may take 4 to even 10 CH's to completeely clean on the colon so its properly working again...it took me 8 times to clean it out then i did there hair sample to see how toxic you are and then they said im fine i dont need anymore CH's for months, a month later my skin was clear, it even cleared up my scars from accutane, i feel more energetic, stronger, confident, healthy, even my back pains went away after sleeping.
i recommend looking up colon hydrotherapy and its benefits all over the internet and im sure that they will all say the same thing.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:39 PM   #23

SparkZ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegoons
u wanna enlighten us sPARKZ?
I used murad and it worked like a charm.

I did cut all those foods out for very long periods of time. especially the sugar, chocolate, and junk food like chips. I ate only fresh fruits, veggies, and meat (only chicken and pork) and also ate some pasta and grains but that was it for close to 6 months. I wish that would have helped back then but it didn't and I had to deal with another almost 10 years of acne after that.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:00 PM   #24
Inactive
(female)

jellybean321 HB User

That is just as bad as saying that people with acne are just too lazy to wash their faces. I know that my acne is completely out of control and nothing I will do will ever work. I am not just too lazy to eat right. But I appreciate that you're trying to help. Maybe it works for some people, but its a hasty allegation.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:58 PM   #25
Veteran

stasia12 HB User

unfortunately-
alot of expensive methods like the colon thing are a bit out of range for most of us to try. diet change is worth a go, many on this board have had sucess or partial sucess that way. I thikn many people with persistent acne who frequent this board and have had no sucess with various treatments, need to see a really good doctor, preferably an endicrinologist (who tests various hormone levels) and a good dermatologist who isnt just a prescription writer. The hormone thing is esp important, its very relevant to acne and I believe might help people find a cure. Im sure the colon thing works for awhile, but how long till you have to get it cleaned again>? and Im sure most of us are not relishing the thought of whatever they have to do to get the water in there. can I say EW and OUCH? NO WAY. id rather have pimples.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:30 PM   #26
(female)

jazmella HB User

Personally, I do coffee enemas once a week. And yes, I administer them by myself. I've been doing them for months now, and actually look forward to them. They make me feel good, inside and out. Makes me feel super-de-duper clean inside.

It was weird the first time I did one, but after the initial feeling of "whoa, liquid up my backside!", it was amazing.

I'd also love to get a colonic done one day.

Last edited by jazmella; 06-28-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #27
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Mike, I'm glad you were able to solve your problem but you're wrong - eating wrong may aggravate acne, but it is RARELY the sole cause of it. That's an unfair thing to say, like acne is moral failing or something.

If what you say were true, I would have had acne all thru high school and college. I ate a crappy diet, had lousy digestion, didn't drink nearly enough water, didn't exercise, rarely bothered to wash my face, and I never had acne. I had depression and fatigue, yes. A few tiny breakouts in the oily zones, sure, but not actual acne.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:45 AM   #28
(female)

03/03 HB User

what abt those colon-cleansing tablets that the Minister of Herbs and Natural Healing advertises all ova the TV... they say that using these herbs is the natural cure for most diseases: impotency, obesity, acne... u name it. They have sooo many success stories to broadcast.. I'm thinking of this route, but I heard that someone even died from going to the toilet that much. Does anyone recommend/warn against this?

Closed Thread