It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
(female)

bimbotica HB User
to all accutane users!

hey there....do you guys experience any short term memory loss or lack of focus? cause i'm gonna be starting uni soon and i really do wanna begin a course of accutane but i'm afraid it would affect my studies...what do you guys think? i'm only considering a low dose like 20mg per day or 40 at most...

Old 07-05-2005, 05:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User
Re: to all accutane users!

Bimbotica, didn't you post a thread similar to this one? Maybe I am thinking of something else. But trust me, you are not going to have a mental breakdown on Accutane. I went on it end of junior year in highschool, and I still pumped out a 4.0 gpa and I didn't have to work any harder and didn't have any trouble staying focused, etc.. I'm now going on my junior year in college, and as for short term memory loss, etc., I've been just fine. 3.8 cumulative!

By your posts, I can tell you are very apprehensive about Accutane Take a deep breath and take the plunge, you're going to be fine!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2005, 06:10 AM   #3
(female)

bimbotica HB User

hey dearie thanks for the sweeet reply....yes you guessed right!! i'm freaked out cause i really gotta do well in university...it aint gonna be easy....and yup i have asked a similar question before....

Old 07-05-2005, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

It's alright bimbotica, Accutane is a big step. You will be so thankful you did it though. Things may get worse before they get better, but once you get over that hill, it is smooth sailing. (It was for me anyway.) Having completely clear skin has changed my life, and that is not an overstatement! By going on Accutane and clearing up your skin, I would think you would be able to concentrate even more since you won't be having to worry about your skin all the time. As it is now, I would think it would be hard to concentrate b/c I am sure the condition of your skin is always on your mind, like a cloud hanging over your head whether you realize it or not, it's there and it is effecting how you live. If you have any more questions about Accutane I would be happy to answer them! In fact, I may be starting my second course of good ol' tane within the month, so maybe we will be going through it at the same time

Old 07-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
(female)

realsad HB User

i am starting it soon. in 2 weeks and the time is going SOOOO slow. all i can think about is getting rid of this problem it keeps me from enjoying my life. i should be glad, but i am so depressed still. i just can't stand it anymore. i think it took too long to get them to decide to put me on it. oh well atleast i am finally about to be on my way

Old 07-06-2005, 02:15 AM   #6
(male)

fuici HB User

hi cassie... i have a question for you. Is the Initial breakout always must be very bad? b/c i am on accutane for six weeks already and yes there is a breakout but not as that serious as i think, do u think it will work for me?

secondly, do we need to add anythings else like acne cream when taking accutane? b/c my derm gave me a acne cream( think should be retinoid) and toner to complement my course. on top of that he also does a glycolic peel for me every 3 weeks. Personally, i feel that it is too harsh for my face and felt that my skin look nicer and less red when i only apply the cream and toner once at night. what do u recommend?

lastly, does accutane work for everybody? i don't mean a perfect cure but at the very least reduce it to just a few pimples... thanks

Old 07-06-2005, 07:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuici
hi cassie... i have a question for you. Is the Initial breakout always must be very bad? b/c i am on accutane for six weeks already and yes there is a breakout but not as that serious as i think, do u think it will work for me?

secondly, do we need to add anythings else like acne cream when taking accutane? b/c my derm gave me a acne cream( think should be retinoid) and toner to complement my course. on top of that he also does a glycolic peel for me every 3 weeks. Personally, i feel that it is too harsh for my face and felt that my skin look nicer and less red when i only apply the cream and toner once at night. what do u recommend?

lastly, does accutane work for everybody? i don't mean a perfect cure but at the very least reduce it to just a few pimples... thanks
Hi Fuici,
I am extremely surprised that your derm is having you use a retinoid, toner, and getting glycolic peels while on Accutane!! How many mg's are you on? Since your skin is so fragile while on Accutane, getting peels or using any type of harsh product can actually cause more harm than good, even scarring. However, your doctor probably knows your skin better than I do. But....I just can't imagine any doctor prescribing all that for an Accutane patient?? I am stumped. How is your skin doing? On Accutane, my derm prescribed me to use Cetaphil gentle wash and NOTHING else, under any circumstances. In fact, I only used the Cetaphil wash at night, in the morning I just splashed cool water on my face...even with this very gentle skin regimine, my face was still red and sensitive to the touch, so that is why I am in disbelief you are on the regimine you are while on Accutane. I suppose you should just go with how your skin feels...if everything starts to feel like waaaaay too much for your skin, speak up and tell your derm. Just listen to your skin, it will tell you how much is too much.

Some people have horrible initial breakouts, some people get mild initial breakouts. Then again, there are those lucky few that as soon as they pop their first couple pills, their skin just magically clears up and they completely skip the intial breakout all together! It varies from person to person. When I was on Accutane, I had a horrible intial breakout over a week's span...then after that, everything just started drying up and going away. The rest of the time on Accutane, I didn't get any more breakouts. How severe is your acne? Is it mild, moderate, or cystic?

If taken correctly, Accutane is many people's "miracle drug." A large percentage of people clear up completely - and permanently. Others will clear up for a while, and then start to relapse, but the acne usually does not come back quite as severe (currently my situation.) There is a small percentage of people that Accutane does not work for (the exact percentage is included in one of the pamphlets you should of received along with your Accutane). However, of all the people I have known how have taken Accutane, it has worked miracles for everyone...and I have known at least five people who have taken it outside myself. So yes, I have confidence that Accutane will work for you!! Good luck and hang in there. Hope this answers your questions.

Old 07-10-2005, 04:50 AM   #8
Veteran

AccutaneAvenger HB User

Hello,

I have short term memory loss and lack of concentration caused by accutane 9 years after the drug and still counting. This is just one of my many side effects that are permenent. Suggest caution with this horrendous drug.

AA
And I shall be clothed again with my SKIN, and in my flesh I shall see God." [Job 19:25]

Old 07-10-2005, 05:00 AM   #9
(female)

realsad HB User

accutaneavenger, did accutane clear your acne? what other side effects have you had if you don't mind me asking?? i am sorry to hear you had a bad experience on accutane, take care

Old 07-10-2005, 05:18 AM   #10
Veteran

AccutaneAvenger HB User

Realsad, yes accutane worked for a very short while. Now I'm 9 years off the drug and left with constant dryness, ugly growths (not acne) that appear every singly day on my face, memory loss, lack of concentration and constant fatigue, liver dyfunction and most likely additional acne due to the dryness.

AA
And I shall be clothed again with my SKIN, and in my flesh I shall see God." [Job 19:25]

Old 07-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #11
(male)

mikegoons HB User

Accutane avenger how long did u take accutane and at what age? Didnt u say somewhere u stopped early?

Old 07-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #12
(female)

bimbotica HB User

oh my goodness.....that sounds terribly scary AA....ugh....just when i was seriously considering accutane.....is there anyone else with such long-term symptoms?

Old 07-11-2005, 04:26 AM   #13
Veteran

AccutaneAvenger HB User

I took it when I was around 16, then again at 18. I finished the courses.

AA

Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
(female)

IsabellaLeigh HB User

Hi there! I'm a college student and am on a 60 mg dosage of Accutane per day (20 years old, 114 lbs). I have had acne since I was 12. I would say I have moderate acne with an occasional cystic breakout; however, it would fluctuate up and down, going from horrible to kind of okay. Anyway, I was also worried about the medication affecting my studies, as grades are SO important right now. Coincidentally, I began Accutane 2 days before classes started. I am now on my fourth week and haven't noticed any differences in my motivation or work habits. Hopefully, this continues The mild dry skin and dry lips only call for some extra moisturizer and chapstick and this is nothing I can't handle! In my opinion, the benefits of Accutane outweigh the side effects I am experiencing. Good luck with your studies! I'm sure you'll be fine

Closed Thread