It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 06:25 AM   #1
(female)

realsad HB User
the month before starting accutane

has anyone used anything before going on accutane like in the meantime? i was suposed to take birth control this month but decided not to- incase it would make my face worse, i didn't want to take that chance (gettin worse), and am not sexually active anyways i been using amoxicillin for 2 weeks and it has not helped at all to calm my face down. should i just stop or might that make me flare up even more (if thats even possible) i am covered, my jaw line, cheeks and forehead (ugh!) and i can't stand this at all. i keep whining about it, but nothing is helping me at all they just keep coming, a new bunch every morning, i have to pop them to get rid of the pain, i get the stuff out and they heal rather quickly, but i just keep getting more! so what do you think about the amoxicillin? thanks

Old 07-07-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
(female)

realsad HB User
Re: the month before starting accutane

and as far as the birth control pill, he prescribed ortho-tri-cyclen LO. I have heard this breaks people out, i also think when i stopped the birth control pill a year ago my acne did get worse. so i don't think i should take it, does anyone know if accutane is more effective on men than women or vice versa? if there was a difference it would most likely be explained by the birth control issue.......??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

The month before I started accutane, I wasn't using anything because I was afraid of making my face worse. I'd just use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer and that was it. Good luck with accutane!

Old 07-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

hey realsad, the month before, i used minocycline (which didn't really do much) and cleocinT lotion (also, didn't do much!). so there you go. bottom line, imo, if your acne is bad enough to go on accutane, there's not much else out there that's gonna do much for ya. i still use the cleocin though, for some reason. i guess it's like a security blanket or something.

good luck! if you start breaking out worse on the tane, go to the derm asap!!! i wish i would have and got started on the prednisone and cortisone injections right away. i might have saved myself some of the scarring. maybe. ali

Old 07-09-2005, 04:25 AM   #5
(female)

realsad HB User

yeah i think its pointless the amoxicillin, i just heard when you stop antibiotics, it makes things worse (and i think thats how i got so bad in the 1st place), but if they were never better,and it hasn't helped, i guess it wouldn't do to much harm to stop? anyway i only have less than 2 weeks till i start accutane YAY!!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Realsad,

Hopefully when you start the accutane, things won't be so bad for you. I was one of the lucky ones that didn't suffer from an initial breakout. I think that's what I was afraid of the most. I didn't need my face getting any worse than I thought it was. I just washed my face with cetaphil and used cetaphil moisturizer because I wanted to make sure I didn't irritate my skin. The 6 months went by pretty fast for me and I think it was the best thing I did to help my skin.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
(female)

realsad HB User

hi, i am really glad to hear things went well on accutane and i appriciate everyone being supportive i am super excited to get on this stuff, heh, i will keep ya updated too one thing i need to stop is picking at my face, i have gotton better but every once in a while i slip up pretty bad. and i know on accutane you heal alot slower so i gotta really try. right now my face is pretty rough looking, i am not going to touch it anymore since i am starting in about a week i wanna let this heal as much as possible....

Old 07-09-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I know it's hard to not pick at your face, but try hard not to (easier said than done). Once you see your face improving, you'll be happy about it.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #9
(female)

realsad HB User

wow this is hard already i have about 20 huge painful pimples, i usually would pop but i don't want to do that incase it scars worse. i can't wait, only one more week, is there anything else i should do to prepare? lol i am annoying aren't i??....sorry about that. instead of an "accutane journal" this post is like an "i am gonna be going on accutane and have a million questions journal"

Old 07-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

You're not annoying at all, realsad. It's normal to have all these questions before and during accutane. It's a serious drug. If you have a lot of painful pimples, you can always ask your derm for cortisone injections. I got lots of these before and during accutane treatment and they worked wonders!

Old 07-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #11
(female)

realsad HB User

thank you bostongirl for being so helpful. i hope when i go in there they can inject some of these, i know i said i won't pop them but i had to today, they were just hurting and itching sooooooo bad!!! ugh only 5 more days, i go to the derm. on Monday!!!!! those who went on accutane, when you go back for your 2nd appointment, do they give you your script to start taking that day? (as long as you blood work is ok?) i really want to start taking it monday

Old 07-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #12
(male)

mikegoons HB User

they called me a couple days later with the blood work results and then i started. Im still breaking out and im on the start of my 3rd month so not everyone is the same remember. My skin is worse then when i started and i get zits in spots i didnt really before. I feel like this is all part of the process though i keep tellin myself and that it will get better because honestly my skin wasnt that bad to start, just persistant.
However i dunno if the reason for this is because i have been showering twice a day and only using water ? But i know my friend didnt and still doesnt use nething on his face during his accutane treatment and that my derm said just water is fine. If this treatment does work i plan on obviously continuing to just use water cause its soooo much easier. . . But honestly this drug is not smooth sailing all the time , brace urself and it will b a lot easier and better if u expect the worse as opposed to me expecting the best right off the bat . . . .

Old 07-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #13
(female)

realsad HB User

i know i will probably have an initial breakout, because i hear most people do, the thing i am worried about is the scarring from that. my face is bad now but it does seem to heal pretty quickly, its just it keeps getting new spots so it doesn't improve. but if i breakout while on accutane my spots won't heal near as fast and i am really scared to have more scars than i already have aquirred. i guess there is really nothing i can do about it oh well i guess in a few years the scars might fade. i guess scars are better than painful bumps anyway! take care

Closed Thread