It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User
Unhappy HELP! I can't give up carbs and sugar...how do you all do it?

I have been really digging into all the posts by SweetJade concerning the diet/acne link, and I want to start up on a diet that will hopefully clear my acne. However, from many of the posts I have read, to clear your acne you basically have to live off raw veggies, raw fruit, and nuts...maybe some chicken or fish thrown in now and then. For those of you on this diet - HOW DO YOU DO IT?! I tried this for ONE day and I couldn't handle it.

I'm by no means "unhealthy" in my diet as it is, but yes, I do indulge in spaghetti from time to time (I recently switched to whole grain spaghetti, if that helps) and I also enjoy my bagels, sandwhiches, and homeade burritos with lean ground beef, cheese and lettuce. That's another thing - I LOVE cheese. Oh and I eat hardboiled eggs a couple times a week also...is this so bad?? I can't give this all up! I don't know how?

The diet that I am supposed to stick with to maybe clear acne just seems impossible and not to mention, not very flavorful. This doesn't seem like enough variety for a person either? Don't people NEED carbs and some sugar to be healthy? If someone who is currently on this type of diet and it is helping/has helped their acne, please, please, please help me!!

Old 07-10-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User
Re: HELP! I can't give up carbs and sugar...how do you all do it?

I say screw the diet...even if it is something that works temporarily, like you've already found, it will not be something you can follow forever....you seem to already be eating pretty healthy...have you tried meds?

K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartpants
I say screw the diet...even if it is something that works temporarily, like you've already found, it will not be something you can follow forever....you seem to already be eating pretty healthy...have you tried meds?

K
Ohhh yes, I've been on pretty much every med/topical known to man over the past six or so years. Did accutane about four years ago, it was a miracle. My severe, cystic acne cleared up 110% for an entire year, then after that it came back, but very, very mild. Now three years after Accutane I still have mild to moderate acne (depending on the time of the month). There are times my skin will be completely clear, but most of the time I always have at least three pimples on my face. It drives me NUTS! I just tried to ask my derm for a second course of Accutane, but he said my skin isin't bad enough so he put me on Ampicillin (I've already been on this in the past and it didn't help).

For lots of people, the raw foods diet completely clears their acne, and that is what I want - to be 100% clear!

Old 07-10-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

well you can try it...i know i could never do it either...not for a day, not for a week, and definitely not for life!

Old 07-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
(female)

tracy0021 HB User

i couldnt do it either!

Old 07-11-2005, 05:39 AM   #6
(female)

SweetAmy87 HB User

I was on a diet last summer that drastically cleared my back and chest acne and helped my face tremendously. It wasnt about no carbs or sugar it was about good carbs and good sugars. I ate every fruit and veggie, every type of meat, whole grain cereals, low carb ice cream so there wasnt AS much in it, i ate cheeses, drank flavored water and ate all kinds of peanuts. You really can eat alot more than you think you can. I'd eat chicken from fast food restaurants and even going to a nice place id get grilled chicken and a salad and food doesnt have to be nasty to be alot better for your body. I know that it seems hard, and it is, but after a few days of eating mostly things just found in nature, your body doesnt crave carbs as much. Im on a diet now, not because of acne but just to get healthy and i can tell you that if you stick to it for a few days the rest is easy. Diet really helps improve my acne but i'm currently on accutane just because im 18 and getting ready for college and i wanna rid myself of the whole problem so i dont have to worry about triggering it. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2005, 06:00 PM   #7

NonaMc HB User

Sweet Amy
Where did you find this diet? I would like to you EXACTLY what you did..I'm desperate!
Thanks!

Old 07-13-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
(female)

SweetAmy87 HB User

I didnt find it anywhere i was just trying to lose weight over the summer and about a month or two after starting the healthier diet i realized that my back and chest were almost totally clear and my face was breaking out less. I didnt make the connection at the time, i thought maybe i was just washing right or something since i had extra time to but when i went off the diet and my acne returned i realized the connection.

Old 07-13-2005, 11:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie4u22
I have been really digging into all the posts by SweetJade concerning the diet/acne link, and I want to start up on a diet that will hopefully clear my acne. However, from many of the posts I have read, to clear your acne you basically have to live off raw veggies, raw fruit, and nuts...maybe some chicken or fish thrown in now and then. For those of you on this diet - HOW DO YOU DO IT?! I tried this for ONE day and I couldn't handle it.

I'm by no means "unhealthy" in my diet as it is, but yes, I do indulge in spaghetti from time to time (I recently switched to whole grain spaghetti, if that helps) and I also enjoy my bagels, sandwhiches, and homeade burritos with lean ground beef, cheese and lettuce. That's another thing - I LOVE cheese. Oh and I eat hardboiled eggs a couple times a week also...is this so bad?? I can't give this all up! I don't know how?

The diet that I am supposed to stick with to maybe clear acne just seems impossible and not to mention, not very flavorful. This doesn't seem like enough variety for a person either? Don't people NEED carbs and some sugar to be healthy? If someone who is currently on this type of diet and it is helping/has helped their acne, please, please, please help me!!
LOL, you didn't actually sit down and write down everything that you hear some of us avoiding and then think that you MUST avoid ALL of those foods did you???

Well I do apologize if we gave you that impression, but we are all UNIQUE and as such, we don't all have the exact same diet. True there are some similarites among them, but because of our different ethnicities, environments and lifestyles, those factors also determine those misc. food items you find us avoiding (like eggs or nuts or bananas) and as such, it doesn't mean that it will apply to you.

Now, I personally eat "rabbit food" on some days, but usually I still eat like a pig. ;-) I eat plenty of animal protein (baked, grilled, sometimes fried) and when I get bored or start craving veggies I'll go periods where that's all I'll eat too. My diet isn't No Carb nor is it Low Carb, it's actually a Moderate Carbohydrate diet (preferred choice for preventable disease control). I dropped traditional bread, but I still eat other whole grains. I eat tons of rice, corn, potatos and then there's days where I won't eat these. I even eat whole grain rolled oats, buckwheat, and soon I'll experiment with Quinoa and then later Amaranth grains. As such, I eat spaghetti from time to time but not several times a week like I used to. When I do, I use gluten free grains, my favorite is rice pasta, but there's also corn, quinoa, etc and Pasta sauce with NO Trans Fats or ADDED Sugars (of any type).

See, unfortunately I am sensitive to even 4g of sugar or table sugar. LOL, that's a peice of candy...so I do my best to knowingly avoid it when I can (yes I can still eat out). I'm guessing that's because well, I'm Insulin Resistant, but not even Type II Diabetics are that sensitve to sugar and so I'm wondering if it may have something to do with a possible Candida infection. Since you mentioned that your acne is back only in mild-moderate form, this is something you may want to look up.

Accutane apparently works to eliminate cystic acne for most, but then there are members that come back with mild or moderate acne 3 months - 6 years after accutane. Then there are members that have had to go on up to 3, 4, or 5 Accutane courses and their acne still won't go away. Based on what I know about some of these members and from what I've read there's a few possibilites:

* Hormonal Imbalance

* Candida / Systemic Yeast Infection (can cause a Leaky Gut/Intestinal Hyperpermeability and is a result of Antibiotics & NSAIDs Abuse/Misuse, among a few other things)

* Hypersensitivity (can be the result of a Leaky gut or some other Immunlogical response and you can react to food, hormones, preservitives, detergeants, pore clogging skin care...just about anything that your body personally finds offensive)

So have you ever gotten yourself checked for any of the above?

Have you ever been on NSAIDS, Birth Control, Antibiotics?

Have you always consumed a Low-Fiber & High Refined Carbs, High Sugar, and Trans Fat loaded diet?

Does Obesity, Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, Diabetes Type II, Digestive Problems, Hypothyroidism, or any other health/hormonal problems run on your side of the family?

Gotta run, but for the record. It's not that hard. It does become easier when you have proper access and funds to live a "healthier" lifestyle, but there's still things that college students (moi) can do even on a limited budget. As for snacks and stuff, below is pretty much what I do (except I don't touch snacks with ANY sugar nor eat nuts)

Eat Raw Veggies as snacks

Plenty of Fruit

Nuts

Seeds

Homemade trail Mix or Granola Bars (use whole grain rolled oats)

Frozen or dried fruit (unsweetened & unsulphured)

Cold or Frozen Natural (flavored) Applesauce (instead of ice cream or yogurt)

Organic / Natural Potato Chips (no trans fats or cottonseed oil)

Organic / Natural Corn Chips (chips & salsa or homemade guac)

Home popped Popcorn (no oils)

Brown Rice Cakes (flavor as you like)

Gluten-Free Pretzels (if you are going gf and can tolerate soy)

Gluten Free Crackers (you really gotta be desperate)

Eat Dark Chocolate (no dairy or trans fats or sugar) - some can eat this w/ Brown Rice Syrup or Sugar Cane---then they exercise right after to avoid a break out ;-)

Certain vegetables when baked taste sweeter like sweet potatos, cauliflower

Make different types of fruit salads or add fruits (nuts, seeds) to a fresh green salad

Baked apples/pears or warm applesauce with raisens & granola

ApplePie (don't laugh) - warm organic corn chips (the brand I used had a different texture from regular corn chips) and warm apples or applesauce & cinnamon...this totally shocked me..but there's probably a real Gluten-Free Recipe that uses corn

Can't have peanuts - roasted sunflower seeds and raisens tastes like Peanut Butter & Jelly or just use Sunflower Butter (or some other nut or seed) & all natural fruit preserves on your bread of choice.

Get flavored oils or concentrates without ADDED sugar. Caramel, Vanilla, chocolate, pina coloda, lime, etc to help spice up your homemade desserts, your whole rolled oatmeal or drinks (teas or water)

Oh and for Gum or Mints choose Xylitol sweetened products (only xylitol, no Splenda/Sucralose)

Otherwise, when it comes to this, we all need to learn to be more creative at mixing things up so that while it's the same foods, it will end up tasting differently. Of course, if you are really craving sweet stuff or junk food, it may be because you just aren't eating enough REAL food!

Best wishes

P.S. I so love Corn Tortillas (there's also rice) mixed with ground beef or chicken, romaine lettuce, w/wo flavored brown rice & veggies and salsa and I'm happy camper. You can also do the same with Lettuce and it's known as Lettuce Wraps or use them to make "Low Carb Burgers" (or some other meat) and you can even have egg rolls using rice paper (spring rolls). There's always alternatives for your regular favorites and sometimes they taste as good or BETTER!

Last edited by SweetJade1; 07-13-2005 at 11:21 PM.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:17 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

WOW SweetJade, thank you so much! That's a lot of great diet information and good ideas for some skin healthy snacks. I'm sooo relieved that I don't have to deprive myself as first thought!

As for my family history - perfectly healthy, both through my mother's side and father's side. No history of high cholesterol, diabetes, heart problems, hormonal problems, obesity (not even anyone overweight), etc. etc. My good ol' mom helped me research the entire family and see who if anyone ever had bouts of acne (teenage or adult acne) and could not find ONE PERSON! Clear skin through and through for every single person in my family (big family by the way!).

I have been on birth control pills for about five years now, and never saw a real difference. I've tried Ortho Tri Cyclen, Trillevlen, Desogen, and am currently on Ortho Lo, which I have been on now for a good year. I have never had my hormones checked, but I have read your posts on that and have been seriously considering it.

Also, I have been on antibiotics for my skin for nearly seven years now. I know this is bad, but the derms have promised me miracles throughout the years with so many antibiotics, it's hard to not want to try them all when you are deperate with acne and have no where to turn. When I was a child, I was on penicillin constantly. So pretty much, I have been on some kind of medication or antibiotic my entire life.

My mom and I find this so strange how when I was in my teens and before Accutane, I had severe cystic concentrated around my jaw and chin. Now, my little sister who is 16 has worse acne than I did...acne just covering her entire face, it is very sad to see We can't figure out why the acne bug just happened to bite my sister and I and no one else in our family. And although my skin is pretty much under control now (I'm going on 21), I am still breaking out from time to time. I thought genetics was a big factor with acne??

My mom and I worry about my sister, b/c her diet completely consists of fast food...sometimes even twice a day. She is very thin, so she insists that is why she can do it. Doesn't even care about her health. I am sure this is contributing to her very severe acne, don't you? She doesn't believe me when I tell her this though.

I will pass this information on to my mom and dad back home and perhaps they can slowly start getting my sister on the right track through diet.

Thanks again for replying, you are so helpful!

Last edited by Cassie4u22; 07-14-2005 at 08:25 AM.

Closed Thread