It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #1
(male)

ecartman HB User
Hibiclens - it works!!!

Wanted to share something with the people on this board that has greatly improved my acne over the past couple of weeks.... it's a cleanser called hibiclens. The active ingredient in hibiclens is chlorhexidine gluconate. Chlorhexidine gluconate is a very effective antiseptic which is used as a general skin cleanser, and in lower concentrations as a mouthwash to kill plaque and bacteria in the mouth. Reducing the P. acne bacteria population of acne-prone skin is proven to help treat and prevent blemishes. Chlorhexidine gluconate is very effective at eliminating the P. acne bacteria, which makes it as good if not better than benzoyl peroxide at clearing up acne-prone skin. Since chlorhexidine gluconate is in the form of a cleanser (as opposed to benzoyl peroxide which is a topical cream gel) it only has to be on the skin for a short period of time while washing. Chlorhexidine gluconate is also effective at eliminating oil on the skin, and can be used to unclog pores and eliminate blackheads.

You can buy hibiclens at walgreens, rite aid or CVS near the rubbing alcohol and band-aids. It's most likely in a turquoise bottle. Give it a shot! You'll be glad you did!

Old 07-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
(male)

seamus o HB User
Re: Hibiclens - it works!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecartman
Wanted to share something with the people on this board that has greatly improved my acne over the past couple of weeks.... it's a cleanser called hibiclens. The active ingredient in hibiclens is chlorhexidine gluconate. Chlorhexidine gluconate is a very effective antiseptic which is used as a general skin cleanser, and in lower concentrations as a mouthwash to kill plaque and bacteria in the mouth. Reducing the P. acne bacteria population of acne-prone skin is proven to help treat and prevent blemishes. Chlorhexidine gluconate is very effective at eliminating the P. acne bacteria, which makes it as good if not better than benzoyl peroxide at clearing up acne-prone skin. Since chlorhexidine gluconate is in the form of a cleanser (as opposed to benzoyl peroxide which is a topical cream gel) it only has to be on the skin for a short period of time while washing. Chlorhexidine gluconate is also effective at eliminating oil on the skin, and can be used to unclog pores and eliminate blackheads.

You can buy hibiclens at walgreens, rite aid or CVS near the rubbing alcohol and band-aids. It's most likely in a turquoise bottle. Give it a shot! You'll be glad you did!

this man speakas da truf. i'm on hibiclens now too. it has worked wonders. i don't want to jinx it. i've been on it about 3 weeks. i have had zero breakouts since. i'm 27 and have had acne and tried EVERY product under the sun since i was 14.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 10:50 AM   #3

replay57 HB User

how much is it?

Old 07-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
(male)

ecartman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by replay57
how much is it?
It's about $10 for 8oz bottle if you buy at the store. You can get a 16oz bottle online if you search for right around $11.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
(female)

jade112 HB User

Does it break you out at all at first and what do you put on after you rinse with it? Just lotion?
Thanks

Old 07-13-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
(male)

ecartman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade112
Does it break you out at all at first and what do you put on after you rinse with it? Just lotion?
Thanks
I never use lotion mostly because I have oily skin and don't need it. Plus, I don't find it very drying. You could put lotion on as usual if you normally do. The key is to wash your face for at least 1 minute to give the cleanser time to kill the bacteria. I have been using differin after cleansing with hibiclens in the evenings... essentially, I'm covering both of the main causes of acne.... the hibiclens for the bacteria and the differin to slough off the dead skin cells and exfoliate.

As far as an initial breakout... I never had one. I have been reading other boards and it seems that it doesn't normally cause an initial breakout, but begins improving the condition after the first or second day.

Last edited by ecartman; 07-13-2005 at 12:45 PM.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
(female)

jade112 HB User

Thanks ecartman-

Maybe I will give it a try. What kind of acne did you have?

Old 07-13-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

where do you buy this stuff? At any store (like Walgreens, CVS, Apex)?????

I'm very interested in this

Old 07-13-2005, 04:13 PM   #9

JanetinHouston HB User

If you can't find it on the shelf, any pharmacy can order it for you. No prescription necessary. They can get it in a day or two.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xismybaby
where do you buy this stuff? At any store (like Walgreens, CVS, Apex)?????

I'm very interested in this

opps I should read more..lol....you stated where you can buy it...so just read over my post..

Old 07-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #11
(female)

Christine88 HB User

I've never heard of these before- is this product new? I might try it out, unfortunaley, I bought more facewash today...Thanks for your help though!

Old 07-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #12
(male)

soupyhead HB User

Hibiclens should not be used for repeated general skin cleansing of large body areas...

looked it up on ebay

Old 07-14-2005, 01:07 AM   #13
(male)

ihatethis HB User

also, can you buy it in the UK? i can't find it on the internet...

Old 07-14-2005, 05:31 AM   #14

JanetinHouston HB User

Actually, Soupy is right. Anyone that wants to use this as part of their daily facial regimine should at least consult their derm or physician.

I started using hibiclens about 15 years ago when I had folliculitus on my arms, so I am familiar with the product. It is a great fighter against bacteria and I keep it on hand for when I see a bump on my arm, so I could see how it would also fight the bacteria that causes acne.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:30 AM   #15
(male)

ecartman HB User

Okay, I just called my pharmacist and asked him if it's okay to wash my face with hibiclens 2 times per day for acne and he said it's completely fine. If any of you have a concern about using it as a facial cleanser, call your pharmacist and ask.

Last edited by ecartman; 07-15-2005 at 09:31 AM.

Closed Thread