It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

realsad HB User
after accutane

ok i know this is jumping the gun, because i haven't even started accutane yet.....but...does anyone know if there are any factors that make your chance of acne reccuring after accutane higher?? i know i am paranoid, but it will bother me, i haven't even started and already i am worried about after!! lol

Old 07-17-2005, 03:27 AM   #2
(female)

pnkfrnzy HB User
Re: after accutane

I used accutane and it was the only thing that cleared me, unfortunately two/three months afterwards i broke out again. It wasnt worse, but my glands had healed themselves and i was all oily again. It wont make it worse. I repeted the treatment 3 times after that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 04:27 AM   #3
(female)

realsad HB User

hi thanks for the reply, i was wondering if age or gender made a difference, i guess it really wouldn't. it's just it was so hard to get them to put me accutane, well it took forever, i wouldn't want to have to go through that again, its not really the treatment itself that i am worried about......thanks again

Old 07-17-2005, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Hi realsad,

Well if you do end up going on Accutane a second time, it's not AS hard to get it the second or third time around...at least that has been my experience. I wanted to go on a second round and my derm told me to just try Ampicillin for a couple months and if I still want to go on it, he'll let me. He already have me the pamphlets and information so that next derm appt. I have in October, if I want to go on Accutane I can just jump in head first and not have to hassle with all that "stuff" I had to hassle with trying to get it the first time.

My derm recently told me at my last visit that the younger the onset of your acne, the more of a chance you will have of reoccurence. Also, if you are a female with chin/jawline acne, there is a greater chance you will have a reoccurence. (He told me that's why mine has probably started to come back..I have chin/jawline acne and it's the most stubborn hormonal induced acne that is out there! That is why it sometimes can come back). However, I was 100% clear for a good year after Accutane. Now three years later, my acne is pretty mild, but bothersome nonetheless. If your acne does come back, most likely it will come back much, much, much less severe!

Also, before Accutane I used to get nickel sized cysts that were red and inflamed for weeks on end...now after Accutane, the "type" of acne I have has changed. Usually I just get little red pimples that come to a head within a day, and if I do get cysts, they are the kind that hurt, but they come to a head rather quickly and they are not nearly as large as what I had before.

I wouldn't fret about your acne coming back just yet!! Many people are cleared for GOOD after Accutane...take my boyfriend for example, he went on Accutane for severe acne nearly seven years ago, and to this day, he never gets pimples. EVER. His skin is absolutely flawless! Same with other people I know that have gone on Accutane. Still years afterward, their skin is still 100% clear. So there is a good chance you will be one of those people too! And if you aren't, at least the acne won't be as bad and you can always go on a second course if need be.

Old 07-17-2005, 02:43 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

cassie, how old were these people who cleared on accutane when they started taking it? and how long was their course? You said your boyfriends acne was severe and now it's clear, do you think he maybe grew out of it? I am just wondering cuz I got off accutane about 3 weeks ago and am afraid of it coming back, mine was concentrated in my cheek area. As well, did he or does he do anything else like internally, that is helping?

thanks

Old 07-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #6
(female)

realsad HB User

thank you cassie! you made me feel so much better i am 24 so that covers the age thing, but i am pretty sure the acne is partly that female hormonal thing, its the very worse on my jawline. it kinda started out from taking too many antibiotics, i get it pretty bad on my forehead too, i hate that the most, sometimes they get so big looks like i am growing horns, LOL sorry thats gross. anyway i feel better, tomorrows my appointment, YIPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousP
cassie, how old were these people who cleared on accutane when they started taking it? and how long was their course? You said your boyfriends acne was severe and now it's clear, do you think he maybe grew out of it? I am just wondering cuz I got off accutane about 3 weeks ago and am afraid of it coming back, mine was concentrated in my cheek area. As well, did he or does he do anything else like internally, that is helping?

thanks
Hi curious,

My boyfriend was about 16 when he started getting acne...he is now 22. He was on 160 mg a day (he's a big guy! lol) for about four months. I knew other people when I was in highschool who went on it, around the age of 18, courses of around 40 mg and 80 mg for around 4 - 5 months.

It's possible my boyfriend just grew out of it, but adult acne does run in his family, his mom is in her 50's and she still struggles with it, so I do tend to believe it was the Accutane that has kept his acne at bay years later. He doesn't do anything for his skin now but just takes a multi-vitamin, and washes his face in the shower with water and that's about it. Makes me so jealous, lol!

Accutane will stay in your system and continue working for up to a couple months after your treatment, so even though you are no longer taking the pills, it is still internally working for you and fighting the acne. My derm told me that some people see the best results AFTER they stop taking it!

Good luck everyone

Old 07-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
(female)

realsad HB User

cassie, i have another question, sorry.....
were you taking birth control pills while on accutane? and afterwards did you stop or keep taking them? also if you were on them, what kind was it? and did it help or make the acne worse? the reason i am asking these questions is because i was prescribed BCPs to start taking at my last visit (this is why he made me wait another month to start accutane) BUT i am not taking them, i am not going to be in a situation where i would need to anyway. if i did start taking them it would be to help my acne clear, because like i said i think it is partly hormonal, the reason i am hesitant is because i know if you stop taking birth control after you been using it awhile, it can make you acne get bad, and i don't really want to have to take it for the rest of my life LOL. and i would hate to go on accutane and the BCPs then stop both and have the acne return in a bad way......thanks! i am so glad you guys are here, i learn so much and everyone is so kind and helpful

Old 07-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsad
cassie, i have another question, sorry.....
were you taking birth control pills while on accutane? and afterwards did you stop or keep taking them? also if you were on them, what kind was it? and did it help or make the acne worse? the reason i am asking these questions is because i was prescribed BCPs to start taking at my last visit (this is why he made me wait another month to start accutane) BUT i am not taking them, i am not going to be in a situation where i would need to anyway. if i did start taking them it would be to help my acne clear, because like i said i think it is partly hormonal, the reason i am hesitant is because i know if you stop taking birth control after you been using it awhile, it can make you acne get bad, and i don't really want to have to take it for the rest of my life LOL. and i would hate to go on accutane and the BCPs then stop both and have the acne return in a bad way......thanks! i am so glad you guys are here, i learn so much and everyone is so kind and helpful
Hi Realsad
Yes, I was Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo while on Accutane. I have been on birth control since I was 15 or 16 (I don't quite remember) and have been on them continuously, I have never taken a break from them in fear that it will make me break out!

This is just my opinion, but if you are not planning on being on birth control continuously for a while, and if you don't need them for actual contraceptive purposes while on Accutane, I wouldn't bother taking them. Going on birth control for a few months then suddenly going off them could cause your hormones and skin to go a little haywire. But then again, everyone is different! While on Accutane, your skin is going to do what it's going to do regardless pretty much of any other factor... heck, I could have soaked my face in lard while on Accutane and it wouldn't have made a difference! LOL. Your skin will have a mind of it's own on Accutane, so birth control probably wouldn't affect your skin too much either way (for worse or better). I don't know if this is making sense, it sounds much better in my head! Anyway, some people may disagree with me on this, but like I said, if you are planning on just going off them soon after Accutane, I wouldn't really bother, you'll probably be causing a lot of uneeded stress on your system. And I'm sure you already know the risks of getting pregnant while on Accutane so I won't even get into that (I know how they drill it in us girls' head so I won't repeat what I know you have prob. heard a million times by now!

I hope this answers your questions...I just read what I wrote and it seems confusing but that's the best I can explain my answer hope it helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Old 07-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #10
(female)

realsad HB User

thank you cassie, i understood you fine , and i think i will just skip the BCP for now, if i get to a point where i might need contraception i will go on them right away. i am single(divorced), plus already have 2 children, and sheesh they keep me plenty busy LOL, so even if i wasn't on the accutane, birth control is definately something i take seriously i appriciate your help (again )!

Old 07-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I've been off accutane since September 2004 and am thankfully a success story. No breakouts have occurred and my skin has never looked better. I used to get massive cysts that would last for months at a time. I never imagined I'd be able to be comfortable waking up and just going, without having to worry about plastering makeup on my face.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
(female)

realsad HB User

that is awesome bostongirl!!!! i am happy for you
ugh, in a previous thread, that i don't feel like searching for atm, i mention that i was suposed to start accutane today (7-18-05) but something would probably go wrong......gosh do i know my luck!!! or lack of.... in a nutshell, i am on welbutrin for depression, and there was a different doctor in today, who had a problem with that because of all the alligations that accutane makes people depressed, which for the record, i do not agree with at all for myself, looking like this is what makes me depressed. anyway now he wants a note from my psychiatrist saying he thinks its ok. well i haven't even seen my psych. for over a year because i am doing fine on my medicine and don't feel the need. geez, so anyway i can't even get in to see him until the END of august. since i get my prescriptions from my famliy doctor, there is a chance he will give it to me with an ok from my fam. DR. i hope! i was looking to forward to starting the end of my acne!!! there was a bunch of other technicalities in my way. i am exhaused i just got home and was at the clinic since 6 am dealing with this.
p.s. i wanted to mention that the reason there was a different doctor there today was because mine has fallen very ill, he is a wonderful dr. i am praying for him. it seems as though he will not make it, i am very upset

Last edited by realsad; 07-18-2005 at 09:31 AM.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:22 PM   #13
(female)

realsad HB User

man now i am getting really mad, my family doctor won't write the note either, everyone is so afraid of being sued!!! why do stupid people sue and ruin it for people like me who just want treatment????!!!!!!!!! gosh i dunno what i am gonna do if i have to wait a couple more months, my face get worse every week!!!

Old 07-19-2005, 03:54 AM   #14
(female)

realsad HB User

last nite i went in and spoke to my family dr. face to face. i think she definately sympathizes with me, after all she had to look at me (it aint a pretty site, right now i have the biggest cyst ever on my cheek and it hurts so bad it kept waking me up last nite!!!) so she is going to try to help me get this all figured out by talking to my therapyst. yesterday i think was one of the longest days of my life, i don't think i have ever gone from being that happy and excited to that ****** off and frustrated and sad, just in one day. i still have a little hope, but i am starting to feel like i am going to have to look like this and feel like this forever. talk about making me depressed!!! i sure am now, but thats between yall and me, if i tell them this situation is making me depressed, well they won't help me!!! i had to cry about 2 hors before i went to get it out of mys system, luckly that worked i didn't even get teary eyed while i was there which is a good thing! so today i have to work on this more, get ahold of my therapyst, see if she will give the fam. doc. the ok, so she can give the derm. the ok.....sheeeshh!!

Old 07-19-2005, 06:03 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I'm sorry you have to go through all this, realsad. I didn't have to go through the aggravation you're going through when I started accutane, but I can understand that it's an awful situation for you. I hope everything works out for you real soon. Keep us updated!

Closed Thread