It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2005, 06:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User
Lightbulb Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

EDIT: Before posting any questions regarding the regimen outlined below, please read the entire thread to familiarise yourself with the questions that have already been covered. I personally don't mind answering these questions individually but I don't want the thread to become over-grown with repetive information, because that is frustrating for other people reading it. Thank you

EV

--------------------------------------------------

Hi All

I used to be a regular on these boards and now, fortunately, I no longer spend my spare time trawling the threads for a miracle solution to acne

I could go into a lot of detail - and I will for anyone who is interested - but for now I shall simply explain what I believe has helped me to break the breakout cycle.

Six months ago I embarked on a course to cleanse my colon because I hypothesised that my sluggish, over-worked and putrefied digestive system was unable to deal properly with my daily food intake.

I believe that the build up of toxins in my digestive system were manifesting themselves as acne; whereas, now I have clear skin which is increasingly even in tone, smoother in texture, and taughter.

My Regimen

Taken twice daily (with lunch and dinner) to aid digestion in the large intestine:

2 x Psyllium Husks 500mg
1 x Activated Charcoal 260mg

Taken daily to maintain a clean small intestine:

1 x Yakult (for Lactobacillus casei)

As I said, I am very happy to post more information on my experience. And I would like to underline to any admins that my regimen is and always has been aimed at the elimination of acne, so I would be really appreciative if this thread remains on the Acne board. Thank you!

EV

Last edited by ErimusValidus; 08-01-2005 at 09:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
(male)

eat_to_live HB User
Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

Hi ErimusValidus!

I am definitely interested in more information on your experience. I have chronic constipation...I "go" about two times a week...so I'm almost positive the buildup of toxins is trying to escape through my skin.

I know about psyllium husks, but I haven't done any research on the other two ingredients in your regimen. Do you take them all in pill form? What is your diet like?

Thanks!

ETL

Last edited by eat_to_live; 07-22-2005 at 10:32 AM.

Old 07-22-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Indeed, many peoples acne is due to digestion. Digestion also can affect hormones, which in-turn affect acne.

I also cleansed my body, and then replaced my body with a "probiotic", like you did with the "1 x Yakult (for Lactobacillus casei)".

Cleaning out your intestines removes all waste built up, and also all bacteria. Again, this is ALL bacteria. We need "good" bacteria in our bodies to help diegestion and fight off the bad. That is what the Lactobacillus casei is, its a good bacteria. Take this after your cleansing period.

Wait till your completely done cleansing before starting the probiotic, or its kind of a waste.

Anyways, my acne went away after 2 months after this. And i NO LONGER get cysts from eating certain foods. Melted cheese caused cysts on my 3 days later, so did peanut butter.

Now i don't get cysts, and i don't get pimples. Im so glad i decided to clean my instestines. However, i did a bowel cleanse, then i took doxycycline which kills bacteria too. So i mighta had double time done on my body, all i know is i feel healthier now, i am losing weight faster, my bm are more regular.

Do it no matter what. Your body needs it.

GL

Old 07-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
(male)

AcneSufferer HB User

overweight ppl tend to not have acne, i just dont understand it and there digestive system tends to be bad, because they usually have constipation.
isnt milk thistle good to clean yor liver out/

Old 07-22-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies I am glad to hear dfwgoodguy has also experienced success with digestive system cleansing. Any other input with stories of success - or failure - would be really useful to other people. Thank you!

eat_to_live, I don't want to diverge too far from the subject of acne but I will say briefly that my regimen will probably get things moving for you And, in turn, I am confident that you will see an improvement in the condition of your skin. Like dfwgoodguy, I have rid myself of cystic acne. Just like him I knew that certain foods (mainly sugar based) caused new breakouts for me. Now I don't really have to worry about what I eat! However, I do maintain a fairly healthy diet. I eat plenty of green vegetables and fruit (roughage is important) and avoid excess sugary foods. I eat meat and dairy without problems.

What I would recommend to anyone wishing to try this is to fast for at least 24 hours to really start the ball rolling. Internal cleansing is generally accompanied by fasting because that ensures that you're emptying your system. However, I have decided to maintain the supplements I take on a daily basis and I am sure it is helping my body maintain an efficient digestive cycle. They come in capsule form and I buy them from a high street health store. In comparison to accutane they are a lot cheaper. And there are no side-effects in my experience.

My knowledge on the subject is poor. I can only hypothesise as to why my regimen has helped me so much. But there is a lot of talk about the Western diet being the cause of the increase in acne. When I saw what came out of me after my initial fast and cleanse, I appreciated what strain my digestive system had been under. If it never got a chance to clear the backlog of rubbish I was throwing into it, there's no surprise the effects were clear to see on my face

As you probably know, the digestive tract consists of the large and small intestines which are essentially where food gets broken down by enzymes into manageable chunks before it goes into the stomach to be further broken down by acid. With respect to the large intestine, the active ingredient in my regimen is the Activated Charcoal which absorbs toxic substances from food. The Psyllium Husks (which I spelt wrong initially ) aids the Activated Charcoal by adding dietry fibre because it swells up, gathering toxins.

But it doesn't end there Regarding the small intestine, Lactobacillus casei is a form of "good" bacteria or a "probiotic", as dfwgoodguy rightly points out. Probiotic bacteria produce substances called bacteriocins which act as natural antibiotics to kill undesirable microorganisms. In general they favorably alter the intestinal flora balance (between "good" and "bad"), inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria and thus promoting good digestion.

Lastly, AcneSufferer, I have indeed heard that Milk Thistle has helped some people with acne. I have never tried it myself, but I believe it aids the liver function. Perhaps it might add potency to my regimen, I don't know. My advice, as always, is don't be afraid to experiment. Certainly try more natural remedies such as these before ingesting harmful antibiotics! Why doctors persist in giving them out to acne sufferers like sweets, I do not know

Old 07-22-2005, 10:01 PM   #6

pattersonjk HB User

Ok, you guys have really convinced me to go forth with the internal cleansing ASAP. I have a few questions though...

1) What should I be eating while I'm cleansing?

2) How will I know the cleansing is done? When and if the acne goes away?

3) Is activated charcoal similar to bentonite clay?

4) Does the probiotic have to be Yakult? Could it be say, acidophilus?

5) Did either of you do the liver flush with the olive oil and epsom salt?

6) ErimusValidus, how long did it take you to clear up?

I know that's a lot of questions but any answers would be much appreciated. I guess what I'm really looking for is step-by-step instructions. You guys are awesome, thanks!

Old 07-23-2005, 03:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Okay, pattersonjk, here goes:

1) If you want to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible you will have to put a little effort in. As I said earlier, I would recommend an initial fasting period i.e. only drink water and only ingest the capsules, until you feel completely empty. Don't worry, this should only take 36 hours maximum in my opinion, and you'll spend a lot of that time asleep. Just don't be tempted to eat until you're done. You'll know when this initial cleanse is over when your stool looks different to usual. You should be able to find pictures (horribly graphic ones ) but if you observe your stool you will know when you're done, trust me! And after that you will notice that your stool is a lot "cleaner". It won't smell as bad as before and it will be solid in consistency.

2) As I said, I continue to take a maintenance dosage of the capsules everyday. I probably don't need to take so much but things are going so well that I don't want to tempt fate for the sake of a few quid a month. Hence it is an ongoing process for me. In that vain I would say that improvement is continual and gradual as well. It took at least two months before I saw a marked improvement but I believe this was because there is an initial period during which the build-up of toxins is expelled. For example, I always used to have these under-the-surface whiteheads (always in the same place) that would breakout periodically, and now since their last breakout they have not returned It's been six months for me now and I haven't had a new spot in over a month. Have patience and you will see results

3) Yes, I chose Activated Charcoal simply because I couldn't find and Bentonite Clay in my health store. In fact, the latter is considered preferable for this process. However, I know that the former works, so I'd stick to that

4) I chose Yakult specifically because it's readily available in supermarkets in a convenient daily bottle form and contains the strain of probiotic recommended for this cleanse. I guess you could try any other product that contains Lactobacillus casei.

5) I once drank some olive oil out of desperation to get some natural Essential Fatty Acids, but I wish hadn't! I've never performed a liver flush. I would have done if I my current regimen hadn't yielded such good results.

6) Like I said, it's been six months and now I don't consider myself to have acne. Don't get me wrong, I still get small whiteheads and the odd blackhead. But that's generally on my chin area due to shaving against the grain and after a spell of heavy drinking. Something I would say in addition to taking these supplements is to relax on external treatments. I cleanse, tone and moisturise my skin at either end of the day, use a gentle exfoliant, and try to shave only with the grain. Don't be tempted to put anything harsh on your face - that only treats the problem, it doesn't go for the source

Hmm, I don't know if my instructions are step-by-step, but it's not that complicated really. I can't honestly remember but I might have taken a higher dosage of the capsules for the initial fast. But other than that I just take them with lunch and dinner daily and that's it.

Edit: By the way, pattersonjk, will you please post the results of your findings as you go along, even if you don't see any success. I would be very grateful, as would other people I am sure. Thank you

EV

Last edited by ErimusValidus; 07-23-2005 at 03:37 AM.

Old 07-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #8
(male)

eat_to_live HB User

Alright, I am definitely getting in on this internal cleansing as well.

I definitely agree with you ErimusValidus about limiting the crap that you put on your face. More importantly, I think it's a good idea to listen to your personal skin. For me, using a gentle cleanser followed by a mild AHA for exfoliation at night keeps my face happy, for the most part.

Anyway, thanks for being so helpful and answering all of our questions. I'm hoping to start on Monday!!

Last edited by eat_to_live; 07-23-2005 at 12:45 PM.

Old 07-24-2005, 02:16 AM   #9
(male)

littledaga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErimusValidus
Okay, pattersonjk, here goes:

1) If you want to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible you will have to put a little effort in. As I said earlier, I would recommend an initial fasting period i.e. only drink water and only ingest the capsules, until you feel completely empty. Don't worry, this should only take 36 hours maximum in my opinion, and you'll spend a lot of that time asleep. Just don't be tempted to eat until you're done. You'll know when this initial cleanse is over when your stool looks different to usual. You should be able to find pictures (horribly graphic ones ) but if you observe your stool you will know when you're done, trust me! And after that you will notice that your stool is a lot "cleaner". It won't smell as bad as before and it will be solid in consistency.

2) As I said, I continue to take a maintenance dosage of the capsules everyday. I probably don't need to take so much but things are going so well that I don't want to tempt fate for the sake of a few quid a month. Hence it is an ongoing process for me. In that vain I would say that improvement is continual and gradual as well. It took at least two months before I saw a marked improvement but I believe this was because there is an initial period during which the build-up of toxins is expelled. For example, I always used to have these under-the-surface whiteheads (always in the same place) that would breakout periodically, and now since their last breakout they have not returned It's been six months for me now and I haven't had a new spot in over a month. Have patience and you will see results

3) Yes, I chose Activated Charcoal simply because I couldn't find and Bentonite Clay in my health store. In fact, the latter is considered preferable for this process. However, I know that the former works, so I'd stick to that

4) I chose Yakult specifically because it's readily available in supermarkets in a convenient daily bottle form and contains the strain of probiotic recommended for this cleanse. I guess you could try any other product that contains Lactobacillus casei.

5) I once drank some olive oil out of desperation to get some natural Essential Fatty Acids, but I wish hadn't! I've never performed a liver flush. I would have done if I my current regimen hadn't yielded such good results.

6) Like I said, it's been six months and now I don't consider myself to have acne. Don't get me wrong, I still get small whiteheads and the odd blackhead. But that's generally on my chin area due to shaving against the grain and after a spell of heavy drinking. Something I would say in addition to taking these supplements is to relax on external treatments. I cleanse, tone and moisturise my skin at either end of the day, use a gentle exfoliant, and try to shave only with the grain. Don't be tempted to put anything harsh on your face - that only treats the problem, it doesn't go for the source

Hmm, I don't know if my instructions are step-by-step, but it's not that complicated really. I can't honestly remember but I might have taken a higher dosage of the capsules for the initial fast. But other than that I just take them with lunch and dinner daily and that's it.

Edit: By the way, pattersonjk, will you please post the results of your findings as you go along, even if you don't see any success. I would be very grateful, as would other people I am sure. Thank you

EV
I totally agree with everything you have said, I have done the psyllium and Bentonite shakes on and off for the last 2 months, and my acne is nearly clear, which is just on my back and legs now, face is looking good. The last week though I have been taking a full organ detox pill I bought off ebay, so with a strict vegetable and fruit diet the results are amazing. But the P+B shakes is the way to go, I did have one problem, which was that If I didn't drink enough water I would definently be constipated for 2 days max.

My advice is to look into detox pills, much easier, they do cost more, but drinking P+B shakes is too hard, makes me gag.

Good Luck

Old 07-24-2005, 09:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledaga
My advice is to look into detox pills, much easier, they do cost more, but drinking P+B shakes is too hard, makes me gag.
Thanks for your input, littledaga Would you be able to share more information?

Like I said, I take capsules; although, I did once accidently crack one in my mouth and it was revolting - like eating sand As long as they go down without any fuss, though, the capsules I take are fine. The brand I buy is Holland & Barrett, available in the UK on the high street.

Last edited by ErimusValidus; 07-24-2005 at 09:58 AM.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

This is very helpful, I always wanted to do a cleanse but never knew exactly how or what to take.

I definitly want to start this!

Thanks ErimusValidus

By the way, I'm always concerned with an initial breakout...Is there one? I know you said some white heads came to the surface but I was wondering if it was anything more severe than that?

Last edited by xismybaby; 07-24-2005 at 10:51 AM.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:15 AM   #12
(male)

eat_to_live HB User

Hey guys,

I have some powdered psyllium husks laying around and I remember trying to take it before, but the texture was too gross in water. It doesn't taste like anything but the texture of the psyllium makes me gag. So, do you think I would get the same benefits if I put the psyllium in say, applesauce (unsweetened of course)? I would still take the bentonite in water because it also doesn't taste like anything, but at least it's liquid-like. Thanks!

ETL

Old 07-24-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Hi xismbaby I wouldn't describe it as an "initial" breakout, but I have experienced minor breakouts, one as recent as six weeks ago. But these were at the site of persistent whiteheads that used to remain under the surface and break out into a cyst periodically i.e. shortly after the cyst had gone down, the whitehead would appear again and I'd be waiting for the next round But since the last cyst in these areas, the whiteheads have not returned! So, if you have "under-the-surface" whiteheads, as I call them, then expect them to break out as usual, but then hopefully they will not persist. Certainly don't let it put you off In fact, I think it should encourage you, because the fact that these once persistent, recurring whiteheads have now disappeared for me, tells me that a fundamental yet very important change has occurred in my body!

eat_to_live, I don't see any reason why the powdered form of Psyllium Husks won't work (my capsules just have powder enclosed in a digestible plastic) and I can't see the harm in mixing it in with other foods (I take my capsules before, with, or after a meal, depending on when I remember). But if you can't stomach the taste then consider buying some capsules. By the way, if you have been used to cutting out sugar from your diet, you can look forward to relaxing that in just a few months Indeed, I am actually annoyed in a way that this regimen allows me to get away with eating junk, because I am a runner and I used to stick to a strict diet as much for my skin as for my body. Now I only feel guilty about my body

By the way, I wish you both all the luck in the world

Old 07-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #14
(male)

littledaga HB User

Thanks for your input, littledaga Would you be able to share more information?

ofcourse, I use a product called Maravillas Naturales Total Cleanse, I have to take 7 or 14 capsules a day, if you take the 14 then it will last 2 weeks, but I don't want to feel the full on effects of a detox, so I take 7 capsules a day with my dinner. I havn't tried the Psyllium Husk in capsule form, but when I used the powdered form with bentonite clay my skin looked good after 2 weeks, but it didn't last, I had a feeling that it wasn't just my bowel that needed cleansing. So thats why I bought Total Cleanse off Ebay, on my second week now and feel excellent, my skin is looking much better. I will update anyone who's interested in my progress when I have finished the month.
I've had acne since I was 16 and now I'm 31, so I have tried alot of things including antibiotics and herbal remedies and OC products. 2 years ago I changed my diet and still no joy, so at the moment I'm not convinced this detox pill will help, but after 1 week I'm seeing good signs. Wish me Luck :-)

Old 07-25-2005, 04:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I do wish you good luck. And if it's any comfort to you, I have suffered for a long time as well (although not as long as you). In eight years, up until now, the only thing that cleared me up was the first course of antibiotics which, of course, screwed me over royally in the long run. Even accutane was only mildly successful for me and the side-effects are horrible. I really do hope your skin improves. I have looked at the product you're taking and can see that "Detox Blend One" consists of Psyllium Husks and Bentonite, which is essentially what I am taking. And in my experience, things just keep improving for the first five months or so

Closed Thread