It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 11:59 PM   #1

shaffeja HB User
Foods to avoid while on Accutane

Just started accutane today... doctor has me taking 40g of Claravis once in the morning and twice at night. Wish me luck!!

Any foods I should avoid while on this stuff? I know alcohol (obviously), but what else? I love drinking milk. I've heard good and bad things about milk. But, I probably drink about half a gallon per day.

Also, is my daily allergy pill OK to take? Alavert?

Sorry for all the questions, my doctor wasnt too clear.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 AM   #2

shaffeja HB User
Re: Foods to avoid while on Accutane

Also...

I'm big into weight lifting and playing basketball. Could this be a problem?

I mean, I'd throw it all away if it promised crystal clear skin in a couple months

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 05:38 AM   #3
(male)

DaOutlaw HB User

I've always opposed the idea of the food and acne correlation. Eat whatever you want. I ate whatever I wanted when I was on Accutane with no ill-effects to me. On the other hand, the consumption of alcohol whilst on Accutane wouldn't be the wisest choice, because your liver will take a serious beating, but you seem to know that already. This is a good as time as any to eat whatever you want. Most of the people who are advocates of the food and acne correlation have active acne, so I never bought into all that, because it's hard to pin-point the problem when you, yourself have active acne. With that said, don't deprive yourself, but if you suspect that you are allergic to a specific type of food, then seek a professional diagnoses.

I, myself, lift weights and play basketball and I did so while I was on Accutane. Two of the common side-effects of Accutane is joint pain and it causes your body heal a little slower than average. With that said, you might find yourself getting fatigued faster than usual and your muscles also taking longer to heal from lifting or from running and jumping. I only found myself to experience back pain and soreness in my legs after playing ball.

Last edited by DaOutlaw; 08-04-2005 at 05:40 AM.

Old 08-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #4
(male)

Revis311 HB User

ill tell you straight up from experience......ive been on accutane twice and it did wonders for me. Food wise go ahead and eat what you want.......i mean i still stray away from the chocolate and greasy foods. As far as working out goes, I definitly noticed that accutane took somthin outta me. I didnt make as many gains weightlifting or running as I normally would. And well......I drank when i was on accutane.....not very often but once in a while and every time I had a blood test my liver was fine. My biggest thing was when i drank on accutane my face just got real blush.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffeja
Just started accutane today... doctor has me taking 40g of Claravis once in the morning and twice at night. Wish me luck!!

Any foods I should avoid while on this stuff? I know alcohol (obviously), but what else? I love drinking milk. I've heard good and bad things about milk. But, I probably drink about half a gallon per day.

Also, is my daily allergy pill OK to take? Alavert?

Sorry for all the questions, my doctor wasnt too clear.

Thanks!
Also, while on Accutane, I could have basically smeared my face in lard and it would not have made a difference, the Accutane is going to do what it's gonna do and there are no outside factors that are going to get in the way.

Just try to eat somewhat healthy, take some Milk Thistle supplements for your liver, and you'll be alright.

I have a question, what is Claravis, and why were you prescribed it while on Accutane? Was it prescribed to help the initial breakout?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
(female)

SweetAmy87 HB User

Claravis is just a generic brand of accutane like amnesteem

Old 08-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #7

shaffeja HB User

Thanks guys..

Im at a good strength level right now that I'm satisfied with, so I dont really mind if accutane stalls my gains for a while in the weight room.

The only thing that I'm worried about is joint pain. I got over bad patella tendonitis about 5 months ago. The Tendonitis had me sidelined for close to a year. I just hope it doesnt pop back up.. I spent so much time and money healing it.

Oh well, like I said, I'd trade it all for clear skin.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
(male)

jaffers HB User

I lifted pretty hard upper body while I was on accutane, as well as doing a lot of rehab for knee surgery. I did feel some aches and pains, but it could very well have been just because I was working hard. If you want to avoid joint soreness I'd recomend drinking a lot of water, taking anti-imflamitory pills like aleve, and taking glucosamine. Drinking a lot of water is always a good idea, and glucosamine supposedly promotes good joint health by keeping them lubricated. As far as the anti-imflam goes, soreness is a result of imflammation and you're more likely to get joint imflammation while taking accutane, because you're so dried out. This will treat the symptom, but not the problem. Just be careful though, because taking a lot of anti-imflammitories can be hard on your kidneys and Accutane puts a strain on all your organs as it is (even though it's hardest on the liver).

Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #9
(male)

coulsons HB User

When i was on it, my joints ached a lot. I do kickboxing and i had to stop as my knees were hurting too much. you may experience something like that. Just go easy on them

Closed Thread