It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
(female)

williteverend HB User
Starting RetinA tonight anyone got any advice?

I am starting RetinA tonight it is .0025%. That doesnt seem very strong. I have moderate acne and sensitive skin. I am somewhat scared to use it, does anyone have any advice??

Last edited by williteverend; 08-04-2005 at 06:37 PM.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User
Re: Starting RetinA tonight anyone got any advice?

Use exactly a pea sized amount. Less is more with this product, as using too much will probably cause you irritation and redness.

If you have sensitive skin, I would suggest only using it twice a week and see how your skin reacts. If your skin responds alright, use it three times a week, then four, etc. etc. If, however, after using it twice a week and your skin looks tender, red, or peely, just keep using it twice a week until your skin gets used to it.

Good luck! Hope it helps you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Make sure you read the directions COMPLETELY! Wait 30 min. after washing your face before applying. Don't apply to sensitive areas like your eyes, nose creases, etc. Also, make sure you use a gentle, non-medicated cleanser (I like Cetaphil). Limit your sun exposure or wear an oil-free moisturizer with SPF (I like Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 30). Don't be alarmed if your skin gets red and dry and you get more zits than normal. Your face WILL get worse before it gets better. I didn't see results for about 2-3 months. Stick with it and you will be glad you did. I've been using it for a year and my face is almost 100% clear. good luck!

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 08-04-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

I'm using Stieva A which is apparently almost the same as RetinA. Like Peachy said, its important to keep it away from nose crevases and the corners of your mouth....my mouth corners are so very dry right now they often bleed....my nose is also very red...if part of your face does go red, id avoid putting it on that area until it calms down, that has helped me...

Old 08-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
(female)

williteverend HB User

I used it and am only suppose to use it every other night at the most. Also I only apply it to a three to five inch area on my chin and jaw, which is where I basically get zits. It didn't burn. However, I woke up in the night and felt a light burn. No redness except maybe a little on the blemishes. Does you skin always get worse before it gets better with this product! Thanks for yur replies guys!

Old 08-05-2005, 08:26 PM   #6
(female)

notsomuch HB User

I just started Retin A micro about a week ago and I was scared as well. Actually, I found this board and what I read convinced me to give it a try. I've been using it every other night and using another product during the day. I've had some peeling but nothing major. A few new pimples but again, nothing major. I'm keeping a journal of how it goes. Wishing you luck!

Old 08-06-2005, 05:48 AM   #7
(female)

health15 HB User

I have been using RAM .04% for 5 weeks now, every third night. I use green cream, a lot milder retinoid, on the other nights. I had a little peeling in the beginning, but nothing that a moisturizer couldn't get rid of. Around the 4th or 5th week I broke out a little for about 2-3 days (a total of maybe 5 pimples). That was it for me. Now, I just keep getting better, with out any new pimples. I did use the green cream for over 2 months before the RAM and had a 2 week purging period, so maybe that is why I didn't go through a bad stage with the RAM. I love it. I think I will try going to every other night as soon as I get back from my vacation.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
(female)

notsomuch HB User

What is "green cream"?

Old 08-07-2005, 08:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I agree that you should follow the directions COMPLETELY. Definitely do not use it every day in the beginning and use as small an amount as you can get away with. If you don't use Retin-A correctly, you can end up with a horrible, inflammed breakout.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:58 PM   #10
(female)

health15 HB User

Green cream is a retinol. Retin-a micro is tretinoin, which is a lot stronger than retinol. I don't think I would have ever tolerated the retin-a micro if I hadn't used the green cream first. I built myself up to using the Green cream every night. I have very sensitive skin. The nice thing about green cream is that I can use it under my eyes, on my eye lids, lips, neck, and chest. I don't have to wear make up under my eyes anymore thanks to the green cream! Green cream has a website if you want to learn more about it.

regarding the retin-a micro. Has anyone noticed more oily skin while using RAM? My skin looks pretty oily when I wake up in the morning after using it. It also seems more oily during the day. I don't know. Maybe it's the mineral makeup I started using around the same time. My skin has never been this oily. In fact, I usually have pretty dry skin in the winter and normal to combination in the summer. Now it is totally oily. Anyone else have this happen?

Old 08-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

My skin appears oily while the retin-a is actually on my face, but other than that it's normal. What are you washing your face with and how often?

Another thing...I know some doctors recommend starting out once every 3 days or once every other day for retin-a, but I started using it every night (I didn't notice any peeling or excessive redness) and everything seemed OK. I guess it probably just depends on how sensitive your skin is to the stuff.

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 08-07-2005 at 01:21 PM.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:11 PM   #12
(female)

SilkySoft HB User

I also use Retin A Micro.I found that my acne will go away and then it will come back.I wonder why is that? I believe it is because I wash my face with dove soap. Can anyone help me? Please? Thanks..

Old 08-08-2005, 07:56 PM   #13
(female)

health15 HB User

I was washing my face with cetaphil in the winter because it was so dry. Than I discovered that it has SLS in it and changed to Mary kay time wise cleanser. Now that my skin isn't dry anymore, I'm looking for a new cleanser. My derm recommended cetaphil antibacteral bar, which for some reason I can't find. I just bought Acne-aid cleansing bar tonight. I friend at work uses it and she has very nice skin.
I read my other post again about how I am not having that initial break out. Well, unfortunately it has hit me. One big painful one in the center of my cheek, 3 white heads, and an old acne mark that "came back to life". I decided to increase to every other night, instead of every third. Maybe I will get through this stage faster. I'm not even peeling now, and have no irritation or reddness. I think my skin can take it. I hate this! I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks and I don't want to worry about my skin and whether my make up is holding up.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #14
(female)

health15 HB User

Can anyone tell me how long their initial breakout lasted? Could it be over in 2 weeks? It started in my 5th week using every third night. I am doing every other night now without problems. I'm hoping it will be done by the 7th week.
Hearing what happened to other people may help me get through this.
Thanks.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #15
(female)

williteverend HB User

My face is looking pretty bad right now. It's not so much the zits as the spots that the old zits left behind. I have only used retina twice so far. My face isn't peeling and it doesn't burn. Also only the zits turn red. Is this still okay, I hear everyone talk about how there face got so red and dry. I am also sooooo scared about the break out that comes with using this product. I mean is going to be realy, really bad. Worse then what I already have, because I don't think I can handle that. I would like to know how it affected everyone one else...was this break out the worse you've ever had? Thanks guys!

Closed Thread