It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

julze HB User
Question Neosporin Cream

Has Anyone Tried Neosporin Cream On Their Zits And If So What Was The Result???

Old 08-05-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User
Re: Neosporin Cream

I used to use neosporin on my breakouts to lessen the pain (I'd use it and also take some advil). I've heard people recommend that you not use it for too long because it starts to thin the skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
(female)

notsomuch HB User

Sometimes I'll use it if I get a scab and want it to heal. The only problem is that it makes the skin really soft and sometimes the scab will peel off leaving an open wound that is more likely to scar.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:12 PM   #4
(male)

Rawraws HB User

I've been using the Neosporin cream on my face for about a month now. It heals red marks incredibly fast. There is honestly a noticable difference over night. It also greatly reduces the red marks left after a pimple is gone. So far I haven't noticed much as far as it preventing my acne. However, it's very possible that it is helping because my face has been improving. I apply it twice a day to my entire face...in the morning and evening...before I put on moisturizer. I'm going to keep using it because of how much it's helping with red marks. Alot of people have said that it completely cleared their acne but I've yet to have results like that.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

AutumnMist HB User

I've been using it for about a month now, and it works really well. I can't really tell if it's making my pimples go away quicker than before, but I do know that they go away without a scar now. I only put them on pimples though, I'm not sure if putting it on your whole face is a good idea because it might clog your pores?

Old 08-08-2005, 05:16 AM   #6
(female)

AznaOnEarth HB User

dosent it say on the tube that it shouldnt be use to treat acne?

Old 08-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
(male)

Buddha HB User

Im started to use neosporin the regurler kind cant find the cream kind havnt seen results yet

Old 08-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
(male)

Rawraws HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznaOnEarth
dosent it say on the tube that it shouldnt be use to treat acne?
No, it doesn't. It does say not to use it for more than a week though. There's alot of people who have a vendetta against Neosporin because they say it will cause bacterial resistance and eventually make your acne much worse. It is definitely true that antibiotics taken internally will lead to resistance but there have been no studies about topically applied antibiotics. There are also several people I've talked to who have been using it for 5+ months and are still getting the full benefits. Basically what it comes down to is that it's helping right now and that's all I care about. If my acne becomes resistant then it's not really a big deal because nothing else works anyway. I might as well get the benefits while they last.

About it thinning the skin I haven't heard anything or seen any proof of this other than rumors. It could very well be some people just made this up. I can't say for sure though.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #9
(male)

Rawraws HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
Im started to use neosporin the regurler kind cant find the cream kind havnt seen results yet

I would NOT use the ointment. This will almost certainly make your acne worse. If you can't find the cream I wouldn't use it at all.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
(male)

Buddha HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawraws
I would NOT use the ointment. This will almost certainly make your acne worse. If you can't find the cream I wouldn't use it at all.
whys that?? :-(:-(

Old 08-08-2005, 09:50 PM   #11
(male)

Rawraws HB User

The ointment is in a petrolatum base. While not technically comedogenic, it is extremely thick. Because of this it will form a layer on your skin rather than absorb into it. So what that means is it creates an enclosed moist environment in your skin with no oxygen supply....the perfect breeding ground for acne.

Also, the actual label will read Neosporin+Pain Relief. I don't think the Neo cream is available without the pain relief ingredient. I've talked to someone who has used both the Neo+PR and a generic brand without the PR ingredient and there is apparently no difference in effectiveness.

I purchased the cream at Wal-mart but it should be available at any pharmacy.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:52 AM   #12
(male)

Buddha HB User

My neosporin doesnt have the +pain relief but if what your saying is true im going to stop using it

Old 08-09-2005, 06:26 AM   #13

pseudonym HB User

The ointment is definitely bad for acne- petroleum clogs pores big time. The cream based version is ok, I do not have acne but use it on the occasional blemish. While it does heal the area, it seems like it traps "gunk" inside, if that makes any sense. I think it promotes healing too quickly and it can't drain.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #14
(female)

amo HB User

I haven't tried this yet, but I was at the drugstore this morning, and looked for the neosporin cream. I found it, next to the ointment. There is an ointment that says Neosporin+Pain Relief, so I was confused because the boxes look a lot alike. But then I saw there was a Neo+P.R. CREAM. This is the one you want for acne. Like I said, I haven't tried yet, but I would never put an ointment on my face. Petroleum is bad bad bad for acne.
I'm going to try the cream, just for spot treatment on active cysts.
I'll let you know...

Closed Thread