It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
(female)

concerned_ HB User
Question question about accutane and dry lips

my older brother is 20 years old, 21 tomorrow, and has been on accutane now for about 5 weeks. his lips have been increasingly dry throughout the past few weeks, and though he continues to use chapstick and moisturizers, his lips go from normal to terribly chapped constantly. he peeled the skin off of part of his bottom lip yesterday, and today noticed these tiny blisters in the same spot he pulled the skin off. i feel bad for him because tomorrow is his 21st birthday and he's having a huge party friday and i don't blame him for not wanting gross lips... so i guess what i'm asking is has anyone else experienced anything like this? any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-10-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
(male)

Revis311 HB User
Re: question about accutane and dry lips

it is the most common reaction to accutane so its definitly normal. All he can do is be sure to put plenty of soothing topicals on his lips. Also try looking into vitamin E in the pill form. He helps for skin repair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
(female)

bahamagirl HB User

Yes, from what ive read every1 does. I was on accutane for 1 month but came off it coz i hated it. My lips were VERY chapped...so that they really hurt.
The best he can do is buy an expensive medicated lip balm...blistex do one for coldsores/very chapped lips. That might help....and tell him the worst thing he can do it pick them coz then he really will get coldsores!
It goes away as soon as u come off accutane.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
(female)

Lepeka HB User

Hi,

I've just come off Accutane the dry lips were my constant companion over the last 6 months (still are... but it's only been a week). I found that Blistex Medicated Lip balm was the best for keeping them at least ok. It leaves a bit of a film for a minute but they were less peely.

My biggest thing that I found with them is not to switch up balms all the time, because every time I did, it was like my entire lip peeled off. so I found one that works, and now I won't touch anything else.

Anyways. hope that helps. I went through good and bad periods with dry skin through the entire thing. use lots of moisturizers, drink lots of water. it helps.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:05 PM   #5
(female)

desertgirl HB User

Hi! I was on accutane for five months and my course ended in December 2004. My lips were so chapped during that period and my derm told me the best thing to do was to use a chapstick that did NOT have any wax in it. Regular chapstick and blistex have tons of wax in them. It prevents moisture from absorbing into your lips because the wax forms a barrier on your lips. I used Neutrogena's "Lip Moisturizer" and it really helped. I recently found C.O. Bigelow's "My Favorite Lip Balm" at Bath and Body works and I love it. It's got a bunch of really good oils in it (like Shea oil), but no wax! It's worked wonders on my lips (which are still mildly dry since coming off accutane) and I wish I'd had it when I was still on the pills. They're both around $5 so they're worth a try. My derm also told me to use SPF on my lips because they are so succeptable to being burned while on accutane. Both of these lip balms have SPF 15, so they're good choices. Maybe the blisters on your brothers lips are sunburn. They could also be fever blisters.... a lot of time damage to your lips can give you smallish fever blisters or cold sores. Another thing I learned from the derm (I went in with a list of questions around month 2 )

If his lips really start to bug him, tell your brother that the clear skin that accutane gives you is so worth the pain and ugliness of chapped lips for a while. Mine cracked and bled and made me self conscious, but it only lasted for five months. I'd been self conscious and embarassed of my acne for 8 years! It was quite worth the trade off.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

LynX21 HB User

yea blistex is good i heard. My lips are gettin worse too I know how you feel.

Closed Thread