It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
(male)

thomasknowles HB User
What will girls think of me if i self tan to hind acne scars

Hi my name tom and 18 years of age while my acne as gone down so only a few spots it as have left spots marks etc that will take months maybe years to get rid. I am using products to get rid of these however with me looking like crap at the moment. I decide to start using zirh bronze self-tanning. I am only going to use this on my face and neck and only a but just a bit to get some colour to my face to hide the marks a bit. Since I have'nt had a girlfriend yet and would like to start dating how will girls received me if they know I using a fake tan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User
Re: What will girls think of me if i self tan to hind acne scars

as long as it doesnt look like a fake tan (you know, the orange ones), I think its great! Id much prefer a tan guy over a pale, pasty one!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
(male)

thomasknowles HB User

yeh I'm not after a stong tan just to bring colour to my face just to make it look even

Old 08-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
(female)

Christine88 HB User

I agree with smartpants. I think that is a good idea as long as it doesnt look fake.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

my experience with self tanners is they will actually accentuate any scarring, pitting and unhealed acne lesions because the tanning lotion actually seems to find and pool in the scars and lesions.

My son uses a tanning bed and his acne is not only much much better but the tan itself makes his skin appear flawless.

Of course then there is the never ending issue of tanning beds and skin cancer...

Old 08-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

Can't believe I didn't recommend that myself - a tanning bed. Yes, of course there are dangers associated with it....but the feel and look of a tanning bed tan FAAAAR outweighs anything that comes in a bottle.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
(male)

thomasknowles HB User

would wearing high strength sun protection cream help protect against damage

Old 08-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
(female)

CherryroseQT HB User

If you are using any medication still i wouldn't reccommend a tanning bed. Most acne medication oral or topical have warnings against sun exposure.

Have you heard of Micro-dermabrsion? You can get professional treatments and there are also several "at-home" kits. My girlfriend did the professional treatments (one a month) and now she has NO scars! (It's expensive but worth it) I have used the at-home treatments which make my skin much more smooth and even toned. I would recommend the Neutregena At Home Solutions Kit. $30 at Wal-mart/Drug Stores. The first few times I used it I TOTALLY noticed a difference. I'm going to get professional mico-derm but I can't afford it yet.

To answer your specific question:
I would never not date a guy because he used a self tanner. Any girl that would screen you out as a potentail partner because of that is vain and bitchy and you should screen her out of girls you are willing to date

It's not weird that you want to hide your scarring and guys have a much more difficult time because you don't have the option of make-up. I would do what-ever makes YOU feel the best. Self confidence is the most attrative traint in people. So do what makes you feel good -Crystal

Old 08-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
(female)

nicnac8383 HB User

Tanning beds are such a stupid idea- not only does it makes scarring worse but it darkens any red marks you may have which will then stick around for years!! stick with the fake tan idea- nothin wrong with that. Trust me if u go for the tanning booth u will really regret it.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #10
(male)

thomasknowles HB User

I have tried that Neutregena At Home Solutions Kit as well as peels etc since april and they have'nt change my skin.

Everyone else says they see a change in there skin but I don't it only feels smooth why am I like this

Old 08-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnac8383
Tanning beds are such a stupid idea- not only does it makes scarring worse but it darkens any red marks you may have which will then stick around for years!! stick with the fake tan idea- nothin wrong with that. Trust me if u go for the tanning booth u will really regret it.
Oh for pity sake that is just not so.

Tanning beds and facial tanners have been used for years and years to clear up acne on people. It has been prescribed for years with great success.

The mere fact that my son's acne all but completely resolved in a tanning bed, had diminished any sign of scars and has faded all mottled or red spots is testament to that.

I do strongly agree however if one is on any type of antiobiotic therapy that they should NOT use a tanning bed without first consulting with their doctor and/or the tanning facility.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:44 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User

I recommend self-tanner over tanning beds. No contest. Believe me, NO WELL RESPECTED DERMATOLOGIST WOULD EVER RECOMMEND TANNING BEDS TO CURE ACNE.

People can ignore skin cancer, and pretend it won't happen to them all they want. They may be bronze and clear now, but tanning catches up with people in the worst ways. Unfortuately, there's no undo-ing the bad decisions of our youth.

The crazy thing in all of this is that many self-tans actually look BETTER than tanning bed tans. I'm a frequent visitor at a sunless website, and similar to this site, you get a world of info about self-tanning, product recommendations, application tips and so on.

FYI: most celebrities wouldn't be caught dead baking - they are airbrushed or go to a Mystic Tan.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius0121
I recommend self-tanner over tanning beds. No contest. Believe me, NO WELL RESPECTED DERMATOLOGIST WOULD EVER RECOMMEND TANNING BEDS TO CURE ACNE.

People can ignore skin cancer, and pretend it won't happen to them all they want. They may be bronze and clear now, but tanning catches up with people in the worst ways. Unfortuately, there's no undo-ing the bad decisions of our youth.

The crazy thing in all of this is that many self-tans actually look BETTER than tanning bed tans. I'm a frequent visitor at a sunless website, and similar to this site, you get a world of info about self-tanning, product recommendations, application tips and so on.

FYI: most celebrities wouldn't be caught dead baking - they are airbrushed or go to a Mystic Tan.
Dermatologist will tell you that self tanners on the face will cause horrible acne breakouts. People who suffer from acne suffer from sensitivity to products placed on the skin, especially the face.

My neighbor went for an airbrush tan to attend a wedding. Within 12 hours she had broke out over her entire face with painful cystic type acne lesions. It was horrible and cost her hundreds of dollars at the dermatologist to get it under control. She told my friend that self tanners are horrible to use for acne proned skin.

There is no ONE answer. I have seen all types of self tanners and airbrushing, mystic tanning used. I much prefer the look of someone who goes to a tanning bed.

No one is negating the risk of cancer and sun/tanning bed exposure.

Last edited by Constant; 08-12-2005 at 05:11 PM.

Closed Thread