It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 05:01 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User
I'm back after a Year, Tanning Bed Solution??

Hello everyone, I guessed it had been about 6 months since i last posted then i checked my diary as to when all this acne had occured. My god it's been over a year since i've posted! Man does time fly when you have manageable skin.

Anyways I'm just here to vent a bit i think. I got a bunch of new pimples popping up and despite all the effort i am putting in and a very successful benzamycin cream I am STILL getting zits. I mean I'm 20 years old now and I just can't kick this thing. Anyways, i got a few questions for you guys.

I am thinking of going to a tanning bed... however i always chicken out at the last second. Like does this sound weird? I mean i have set off with one thing in mind TO GO TO A TANNING BED!! then i get there and i see girls walking in and stuff and it just kinda freaks me out cause i feel like what im doing is outrageous. LIKE WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!! how do i avoid this feeling? Has anyone else experienced something like this with tanning beds?

One thing I have just purchased is a tanning lamp specificically for your face... does anyone know if these are any good? It isn't one of those cheap ones it cost over $200...any opinions on this?

Thanks guys and feel free to vent about any acne stuff here... i feel your pain thats for sure

Old 08-12-2005, 05:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User
Re: I'm back after a Year, Tanning Bed Solution??

I don't understand your apprehension with tanning....because you are a guy or what??? At the tanning place I've been going to for two years I'd say one in five clients are men, its no big deal. Trust me, as a girl, if i saw a pasty white guy and a nice tan guy, id go for the tan one in a second!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

I agree smartpants.

I don't know where you live Accutane Dude but what does being a man have to do with going to a tanning bed?

My son tans in a tanning salon and his face and back have never looked better. His skin actually appears flawless and he looks incredibly healthy.

I spoke with my son last night about the tanning bed after another poster here suggested it would make someone look HORRIBLE . He said his skin immediatley gets better when he starts the tanning bed in the spring and maintains no breakouts through the summer months because he is in the sun so much (he lives and goes to college at the beach).

One thing another poster brought up that was very important is to NOT tan in a tanning bed or in the sun if you are on antibiotics without first checking with your doctor, pharmacist or tanning salon operator. Many antiobiotics applied topically or taken orally can make your skin very sensitive to the sun and tanning of any form could prove to be dangerous.

Last edited by Constant; 08-12-2005 at 07:31 AM.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #4

lobo1977 HB User

please think about how unsafe this is. skin cancer, not to mention aging etc etc. the minute you stop getting sun you will have worse breakouts actually. a bit of sun is ok, a lot is not. get a good spf 15-30 oil free/for oily skin type, and DONT bake. My father just had a chunk of his cheek taken out due to being in the sun a lot. Its not fun.

Also 20 yrs old is still considered young and many people dont clear up till much later, and some have adult acne.

Last edited by lobo1977; 08-12-2005 at 10:00 AM.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User

WELL I did it!! Today i went to my first tanning bed! Once i got inside it was so chilled out. Some middle aged girl even gave me my first tan free. I plan on going every second day now! I am so excited it feels SOOO good on your skin. I'll keep you all informed of my progress on this thread. Going back sunday and looking very forward to it!

Old 08-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accutane Dude
WELL I did it!! Today i went to my first tanning bed! Once i got inside it was so chilled out. Some middle aged girl even gave me my first tan free. I plan on going every second day now! I am so excited it feels SOOO good on your skin. I'll keep you all informed of my progress on this thread. Going back sunday and looking very forward to it!
Good for you!

Make sure you rinse your face well after you sweat.

I'm proud of you. I KNOW that was a huge step of courage for you.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo1977
please think about how unsafe this is. skin cancer, not to mention aging etc etc. the minute you stop getting sun you will have worse breakouts actually. a bit of sun is ok, a lot is not. get a good spf 15-30 oil free/for oily skin type, and DONT bake. My father just had a chunk of his cheek taken out due to being in the sun a lot. Its not fun.

Also 20 yrs old is still considered young and many people dont clear up till much later, and some have adult acne.
I really do appreciate the concern here but quite frankly skin cancer is the least of my worries. Acne controls my life and my thoughts, and if it means risking skin cancer then i mean i'll take that risk. People smoke everyday for no reason at all and I'd think going to a tanning salon is not NEARLY as bad as that.

All in all it's worth the risk for the reward and i have heard nothing but good things from people who tan. They look fantastic and they feel fantastic. I hope i can become the same way!

Old 08-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accutane Dude
I really do appreciate the concern here but quite frankly skin cancer is the least of my worries. Acne controls my life and my thoughts, and if it means risking skin cancer then i mean i'll take that risk. People smoke everyday for no reason at all and I'd think going to a tanning salon is not NEARLY as bad as that.

All in all it's worth the risk for the reward and i have heard nothing but good things from people who tan. They look fantastic and they feel fantastic. I hope i can become the same way!
You know this reminds me of something. Many doctors prescribe tanning beds for SAD or seasonal adjustment disorder.

In the winter months many suffer from depression that has been linked to shorter days of sunlight and lack of time in the sun.

I always suffer the blues in the winter with a greater depression during the holidays (yeah, yeah, we all have our sad stories). One particularly bad year my doctor suggested the tanning bed as a possibility and I'll be danged if it didn't work wonders.

Not only did it make me feel better but I LOOKED better.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User

Here's a few words from someone who's tanned to try to "cure" acne:

I tanned indoors every spring and summer for the past 5 years, and I loved, LOVED the feeling of being tan. I loved how it looked, I loved how I felt warm for 20 minutes. The only downfall was that I couldn't use prescribed topicals while tanning. (Anyone who's gotten severe burns from not following the derm's advice will tell you, it's not a good idea) But my skin looked SO GOOD.

After a while, I had new sun spots, wrinkles, freckles, and moles on my body and face, and the best way to hide it was... what else... more tanning. Then, slowly but surely, my acne resurfaced. Because of course, acne always has a way of resurfacing just when you think it's gone. However, tanning masks scars, redness of new acne, and so on. Therefore, tanning still feels like a good idea. But just when you've stopped worrying about acne comes the cancer concerns. And believe me, you may not have concerns now when acne is your biggest problem, but once the acne fades it'll be on your mind a LOT. You'll worry about wrinkles, freckles... you name it. You'll worry about how your face has sun spots that become more and more noticeable the more days you go without tanning. You'll notice your skin feels different, and that the elasticity has diminished. You'll look at the moles on your skin, and visit skin cancer sites and examine the melanoma pictures online. All the time you spent worrying about acne will now have a new outlet - cancer, and aging. And both are way, WAY worse than acne. And eventually, you'll want to stop tanning. Maybe your acne will come back, maybe it won't. But I guarantee you'll regret the UV damage, because face it, you can't tan FOREVER. Oftentimes, the real damage is invisible now, and will surface 10 years from now. Look at the older women in tanning salons... do you really want to look like THAT?

Here's what I did. I stopped tanning for good two years ago. I discovered a great self-tanning product, Au Courant, that gives me a golden glow, and also masks my acne marks. Self-tanning products aren't the orangey crap they used to be, as long as you choose your product carefully. Additionally, I now have the comfort that I'm acting in a way that's healthy and beneficial to my skin. Applying self-tanner is a lot of work, and you have to experiment a while to get it just right, but I don't stay up at night worrying about cancer or wrinkles. Plus, I can still use my prescribed topicals.

This will sound harsh, but maybe some of you who claim that not having acne and being tan is worth getting cancer later on should visit the cancer boards and read the anguish that others go through. I know a few people that have suffered with melanoma, and nothing in the world is worth ending up with that.

Sorry for the lecture, but please think before you tan.

BTW: Any dermatologist that recommends tanning beds as a viable solution to acne should have his license taken away. Run, not walk out of the office should your derm suggest that.

Last edited by aquarius0121; 08-12-2005 at 03:26 PM.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:04 PM   #10
(male)

mikegoons HB User

dude lemme tell u about tanning. I started to break out a little bit after spring break and then figured id go tanning to clear some spots even tho i never really did before. My skin went to all hell and got really dry after i would tan but then produce ridulous amounts of oil to combat the dryness. Then my extremely mild acne turned to moderate and I had to jump on accutane (4th mth now) and hopefully at the end of this will have my skin back. Watch out with the tanning beds., they might work at first to make ur skin look great but u will soon see that in the long run ur screwed . .

Old 08-16-2005, 11:08 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User

I understand that some people have had bad experiences with tanning but i simply thing the good stories far outweight them. If i can keep my skin clear for the next 5 years for instance that would be great for me! By then i'll be 25 and hopefully my acne will be much better. Also there is an older women working at my tanning booth and i mean her skin looks really dark and everything and kinda fake, but she still looks MUCH better then a pale women with acne would look like.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:18 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Anyways I'll continue with my progress. After my first session of 10 minutes my skin felt SOOO nice and immediately showed results. The cyst that i even could slightly feel forming in my cheek appears to no longer be forming.

After my second session on monday I went for 13 minutes and again the same thing. My skin feels great and I am noticing my face looks much better.

Before i mean my face use to not be so oily after i applied the benzamyzin. However, later on the the evening say around 1:30 am or so at the bar or after the bar my face would feel SOOO oily. On saturday after only one tan I was up till 9 in the morning on sunday and I couldn't believe that my face was STILL in decent shape. I am very excited about this tanning! I will continue to post my results.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:22 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Just finished my third tan in total today. Everything seems to be okay.

Old 08-20-2005, 10:39 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User

I have just finished my 4th tan and my skin is feeling and looking better and better. Since the interest in this thread seems slow i will upgrade in a few weeks time instead of after every session. Thanks for all your support

Old 08-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

I'm following your posts! I've always been a big advocate of tanning, absolutely love it! Unfortunately not sure if its working now that I'm on SteivaA as SteivaA is supposed to be peeling my layers of skin...I think im shedding anything I tan...not good....

Closed Thread