It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

realsad HB User
on accutane, going to derm. on Mon. need advice

hey all,
monday is my 1 month appointment w/ the derm. for accutane, anyone who has been following some of my posts knows i am on a very low dose which is not helping, and i have no side effects what-so-ever. no dryness. on top of that i have been using BP 5% every nite since i started since its the only thing drying me up at all. i find it strange that its almost like i never even started accutane , i also find it troubling. i have very low income so i went through a program to get my script, however they will only help pay for it for 5 months. month one is over. i also go to a clinic where i never know who my doctor is going to be now. i will have a different one every time most likely. now we all know derms are so different on their view of accutane. some don't hardly wanna touch it, others really like it. i want my dose upped. its 20mg a day now . i want like 80mg a day for the remainder of my treatment. i don't know how the derm will react when i request this. he might be ok with it, but he might give me crap and say noway. my question is, how can i defend myself, i mean seeing my face should help a little since its not better at all. and the fact i have not even had to buy chapstick, and have been using BP 5% every nite!!! i mean come on. i know how accutane works, i know higher dosage has a much higher rate of permenant remission. but you all know how doctors can be. especially if i am telling him this stuff- the response will be like- well i went to school little girl not you . anyone understand? is there a good way to make my case and better my chance of getting what i want???? thanks a bunch!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
(female)

SweetAmy87 HB User
Re: on accutane, going to derm. on Mon. need advice

20 mg isnt really supposed to make you dry anyways. Its just their way of getting your body used to it and to get a start on pushing everything out little by little instead of hopping you onto 80 and having the biggest most painful breakout of your life all at once. I too was worried when i was on 20 for a month and saw no side effects and i thought oh gosh, what if they keep me on 20? I didnt even have to say anything she upped me right to 40 and im still not dry but im seeing results with it and thats good enough for me. I wouldnt say anything until you see which direction teh derm wants to go in first. Some poeple have to start with higher doses b/c of the type of acne they have but for everyoen else they always try to start low and work their way up, im really happy with 40mg and i believe that if i stayed on it for a few more months eventually my acne would be completely gone, but they'll probably eitehr up me to 60 in my appt this week or keep me on 40 for a month or two and bump me up at the end, eithey way at this point im pretty sure its gonna work. Youre just like me i expected to be dry and miserable in the first montha nd when it didnt happen i figured it wasnt going to work but thats not true, you'll see after a long while that the derm knew what they were doing. When i go to my next appt i will tell you what they did and if they moved me up or kept me the same since our acne situation might be kind of similar since we started on the same dosage

Old 08-13-2005, 06:55 AM   #3
(female)

realsad HB User

thankyou sweet amy you are right, i really over-think things sometimes and worry way too much, your post makes me feel much much better

Old 08-13-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
(female)

SweetAmy87 HB User

anytime! i'm glad none of us are alone here lol I'd be so lost

Closed Thread