It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 10:00 PM   #31
(male)

artlan HB User
Re: My Experience With B5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaigy
The problem is this is all guess work and assumptions. I wish someone would commision a proper scientific study on the effects of B5 on acne with blood tests, etc throughout to find out exactly what is going on with the body chemistry.
This is exactly how I feel....a perfect quote!

I've tried to supplement with a B-Complex but it didn't do much for my hair. My acne has subsided naturally and while I do get the occasional breakouts, I can usually control them by off the counter products.

Let us know how the B-Complex supplementation going, and if your theory is right you are going to make a lot of people happy

Cheers!

Old 11-27-2005, 11:36 PM   #32
(male)

cwaigy HB User

I definitely think I'm onto something here, although I appreciate this may just be for me and this might not apply to others as I think B5 seems to work differently for everyone.

As I posted earlier in this thread, due to a return of my acne I started on B5 again. I've been taking NOW Foods 500mg capsules in the following regime giving me a total of 11g a day.

5 at 8:00am, 5 at 1:00pm, 5 at 6:00pm, 7 at 11:00pm.

My skin became nice and dry and my acne started to subside, but my hair started thinning once more. I had some Vilantae (Evolution-X) left over from my last attempt to decrease the hairloss effects, but this time I decided to stick with the NOW 100% B5 brand and only substitute one pill at each time for the Vilantae (Evolution-X) brand.

This means that my regime was:

8:00am - 4 x Now 500mg, 1 x Vilantae 500mg
1:00pm - 4 x Now 500mg, 1 x Vilantae 500mg
6:00pm - 4 x Now 500mg, 1 x Vilantae 500mg
11:00pm - 4 x Now 500mg, 2 x Vilantae 500mg

Each Vilantae capsule contains:

Thiamine - 1mg
Riboflavin - 1.15mg
Niacin - 0.7mg
B6 - 1.33mg
Folic Acid - 20mcg
B12 - 4mcg
Biotin - 60mcg
B5 - 510mg
Chromium - 3mcg
Manganese - 0.1mg
Molybdenum - 3mcg
Selenium - 2mcg
Zinc 0.5mg
Alpha Lipoic Acid - 2mg

Over a few days my oiliness and acne slowly returned despite the small intake of the Vilantae (Evolution-X) capsules compared to ratio of pure NOW Foods B5. The hairloss slowed down though but I couldn't deal with the acne again so I've dropped the Vilantae.

I'm convinced that my body is sensitive to one of or a combination of the B vitamins which results in acne. B5 works for me by making me deficient in the B vitamin/s that are responsible for my acne. As soon as I add the B vitamin/s back to my regime in the form of a B complex or even in doses as small as those contained within Vilantae, my acne returns.

I wonder if those who have tried B5 in significant quantity and for a significant length of time in the past and have said it hasn't worked for them have been taking a B complex which has been affecting them in the same way as me.

I'm going to order all the B vitamins individually in small doses and add them one at a time to try and identify which ones seem to trigger my acne and which ones help with hairloss. My concern at this stage is that the same B vitamin that helps with my hairloss also triggers my oily skin and acne again.

Cheers
Craig

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2005, 11:41 PM   #33
(male)

artlan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaigy
I definitely think I'm onto something here, although I appreciate this may just be for me and this might not apply to others as I think B5 seems to work differently for everyone.

As I posted earlier in this thread, due to a return of my acne I started on B5 again. I've been taking NOW Foods 500mg capsules in the following regime giving me a total of 11g a day.

5 at 8:00am, 5 at 1:00pm, 5 at 6:00pm, 7 at 11:00pm.

My skin became nice and dry and my acne started to subside, but my hair started thinning once more. I had some Vilantae (Evolution-X) left over from my last attempt to decrease the hairloss effects, but this time I decided to stick with the NOW 100% B5 brand and only substitute one pill at each time for the Vilantae (Evolution-X) brand.

This means that my regime was:

8:00am - 4 x Now 500mg, 1 x Vilantae 500mg
1:00pm - 4 x Now 500mg, 1 x Vilantae 500mg
6:00pm - 4 x Now 500mg, 1 x Vilantae 500mg
11:00pm - 4 x Now 500mg, 2 x Vilantae 500mg

Each Vilantae capsule contains:

Thiamine - 1mg
Riboflavin - 1.15mg
Niacin - 0.7mg
B6 - 1.33mg
Folic Acid - 20mcg
B12 - 4mcg
Biotin - 60mcg
B5 - 510mg
Chromium - 3mcg
Manganese - 0.1mg
Molybdenum - 3mcg
Selenium - 2mcg
Zinc 0.5mg
Alpha Lipoic Acid - 2mg

Over a few days my oiliness and acne slowly returned despite the small intake of the Vilantae (Evolution-X) capsules compared to ratio of pure NOW Foods B5. The hairloss slowed down though but I couldn't deal with the acne again so I've dropped the Vilantae.

I'm convinced that my body is sensitive to one of or a combination of the B vitamins which results in acne. B5 works for me by making me deficient in the B vitamin/s that are responsible for my acne. As soon as I add the B vitamin/s back to my regime in the form of a B complex or even in doses as small as those contained within Vilantae, my acne returns.

I wonder if those who have tried B5 in significant quantity and for a significant length of time in the past and have said it hasn't worked for them have been taking a B complex which has been affecting them in the same way as me.

I'm going to order all the B vitamins individually in small doses and add them one at a time to try and identify which ones seem to trigger my acne and which ones help with hairloss. My concern at this stage is that the same B vitamin that helps with my hairloss also triggers my oily skin and acne again.

Cheers
Craig
Very interesting Craig!

If we can isolate that one VITAMIN that is responsible for the hair loss and for the causal of your acne, we will be able to supplement B5 + that vitamin/s and nothing more and that should help both acne and hair loss.

Good luck my friend, I am very anoxious to hear about your progress.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:35 PM   #34
(male)

cwaigy HB User

I've started by ordering Biotin in 1000mcg capsule form as that seems to be the most recommended one to take so I'm waiting for that to arrive.

I plan to take 1 capsule of 1000mcg Bioting with every dose of B5 in the hope that I'll see some improvement, although people on this board seem to have had mixed results!

Cheers
Craig

Old 12-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #35
(male)

cwaigy HB User

Well the Biotin arrived and I've been taking 5000mcg a day for the past few days along with the megadose of B5.

The first day I didn't notice any changes, but I woke up the following day with oily skin. I persevered and the oily skin continued and I started to get spots again.

I've dropped the Biotin now and am just taking B5 until the oiliness subsides again. I'll try the Biotin using a smaller dosage next time, say around 2000mcg a day instead.

I'm not sure what's going on with my body, but it doesn't seem keen on certain B vitamins, and the vitamin that's good for hair growth (Biotin) seems to trigger my acne and oily skin.

Cheers
Craig

Old 12-04-2005, 03:44 PM   #36
(male)

oizo HB User

cwaigy, an interesting theory you're developing here. looking back, i noticed a few spots appearing once i implemented a b-complex into my regimen. i had however switched from b5 to pantethine at the time, so its hard to really pinpoint. definitely keep us updated.

heres my take so far: n-acetyl cysteine has definitely improved my hair thickness and growth. it is the precursor to cysteine, the nonessential amino acid in the body that along with pantothenic acid (pantethine) and atp, form coenzyme a, which is what our bodies use to metabolize all those lipids and keep our skin clear (im reposting this info bc some of my previous posts have been removed). a large percentage of hair consists of cysteine, and i would imagine that continued supplementation of b5 will result in the 'sucking' of cysteine from the hair follicle/strand to keep up with the pace of all the b5.

i started taking a few capsules of NAC a few weeks ago, along with pantethine, and was really amazed at the quality of my hair. the interesting thing here is that when i stopped pantethine and continued with the NAC, the benefits of NAC became negligible. that part really stumps me. also, when i stop supplementing altogether, the hairloss ensues. i would think that my hair would normalize with enough cysteine stores in the body.

well everyone, good luck.....!
oizo

Old 12-04-2005, 10:40 PM   #37
(male)

oizo HB User

hey everyone, i have a question: for those whom b5 has proven to be at least an initial success in the treatment of acne, what is your body type and eating habits?
eg: underweight, overweight, frequent eater, do well on little food, fast/slow metabolism, little/excessive weightgain on carbs/proteins, etc

thanks!

Old 12-06-2005, 12:29 AM   #38
(male)

artlan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oizo
hey everyone, i have a question: for those whom b5 has proven to be at least an initial success in the treatment of acne, what is your body type and eating habits?
eg: underweight, overweight, frequent eater, do well on little food, fast/slow metabolism, little/excessive weightgain on carbs/proteins, etc

thanks!
Hey Oizo!

When I started supplementing with Pantothenic Acid, I was normal, not fat and not underweight. I used to eat a lot though. I than lost a lot of weight, which is one of the side effects of Vitamin B5.

Intersting what you mention about Panthetine and NAC working together and NAC not working as well on its own, any idea why?

Old 12-06-2005, 04:06 AM   #39
(male)

primo1 HB User

keep us all updated on your progress guys! we will appreciate it very much.

good luck and god bless.

Last edited by primo1; 12-06-2005 at 04:11 AM.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:28 AM   #40
(male)

cwaigy HB User

Before I started on B5 many years ago I was overweight and decided to do something about it. I cut down on my unhealthy food intake and started exercising.

I lost a bit of weight but along with that my then mild acne developed into a more severe form as I lost more and more weight until eventually after failed attempts with topicals, etc I resorted to B5.

I just wish I could find a solution to the hairloss it causes. As oizo suggested I'm going to look into n-acetyl cysteine. I remain convinced that B5 works by creating a deficiency in another or multiple B vitamin's and not by any other action.

This would explain why it takes time for it to work rather as your body will slowly become deficient in the other B vitamins with megadoses of B5. It also explains why when I add a B complex or even Biotin on it's own to my B5 intake my oily skin and acne returns.

Cheers
Craig

Last edited by cwaigy; 12-06-2005 at 10:29 AM.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:27 PM   #41
(male)

oizo HB User

hey everyone, thanks for the responses. i asked that question because ive been doing some 'research' on metabolic types and their relation to coenzyme a and acne. this is on 'metabolic typing', check it out!:

About 20% of the potential energy created from your food comes from the combustion of carbohydrates in Glycolysis. The other potential 80% comes from the Citric Acid Cycle. In simple terms, energy is produced in the Citric Acid Cycle from a combination of the right amount of Oxaloacetate ( from the combustion of carbohydrates in Glycolysis ) and the right amount of Acetyl Coenzyme-A ( from metabolism of fats in Beta Oxidation ). If there is too much Oxaloacetate and not enough Acetyl Co-A, or if there is too much Acetyl Co-A and not enough Oxaloacetate, then energy production is deficient.

Some people are Fast Oxidizers -- they are poor at metabolizing fats and producing Acetyl Co-A from Beta Oxidation and so they are overly reliant on the combustion of carbohydrates in Glycolysis for energy production. Fast Oxidizers tend to burn carbohydrates too quickly and thus they produce excess Oxaloacetate. A high carbohydrate diet only worsens the problem, but increased amounts of fats and proteins ( dietary sources of Acetyl Co-A ) and specific nutrients to help activate and support Beta Oxidation, help balance their chemistries and normalize their energy production.

fast oxidizers are known to 'oxidize' or burn food up rapidly, so i find it interesting artlan, that you ate a lot at a normal weight. i am the same way - at normal weight (a bit skinny) with a voracious appetite. cwaigy mentioned developing acne while losing weight - perhaps moving from being a slow/mid oxidizer (abundance of coenzyme a production) to fast, producing an abundance of oxaloacetate. im sure there are fast oxidizers out there without acne - i wonder why some tend to express coenzyme deficiency through acne.

now, im not saying all acne is caused by fast metabolic oxidation, as b5 supplemention hasnt worked for everyone. i thought it might be helpful to post this idea in an effort to spark more research, whether it be personal or on a larger scale. protein, fat, and carbohydrate metabolism are all crazily interrelated, as im now just beginning to understand. b supplements are a necessary part of all these reactions, and im really curious to see how hairloss fits into all of this.

it would be so awesome if someone with a strong biochemistry background could jump in on this.

well thats it for my random, tiny piece of the puzzle. ahhhhh, good luck.

Closed Thread