It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 07:43 AM   #1
(female)

portrgirl HB User
Lovely Hormonal Acne

I swear... my body wants me to hate it. I'm like many other women who get the typical PMS symptoms (extra tired, headaches, etc); however, I also get acne. Bad. Cystic, hormonal acne.

In the past, I was on an antibiotic and it worked wonders for my acne. But not for my body, so I finally stopped it 6 months ago. I can deal with the small pimples that I get most weeks, but that week or so before day 1 of my period... It's rediculous and cruel. Like right now.

I had to vent.
But if anyone does have tips, sympathy, or anything that worked for them...

Old 08-25-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
(male)

omega47 HB User
Re: Lovely Hormonal Acne

yea same here. antibiotics helped in some degree but the pimples will not go away. when is this gonna stop??????????????????????????? lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
(female)

stumoni HB User

I went thru all my teenage years and college without acne. At 35 and 2 kids later it hit, like you, I get it real bad just before aunt flo comes. What helps me the most is a kit I buy at Walgreens ($20.00) I think its the cleanser that works the best... I use it everyday, the catch that I don't like is that I run out of the cleanser and have bottles of toner and repair lotion left over still just about full. They don't work without the cleanser, and the cleanser works wonders even without them. In fact, I think using the 3 together dries my skin, but I do try because its a kit. I wish I could find the cleanser by itself. It is a genaric form of pro active, called klear action. I would love to know what other cleanser helps like this, without that other junk. Any thoughts?
M.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
(female)

portrgirl HB User

Stumoni: There's actually a Web site that sells each part of the Klear Action kit SEPARATELY! The Deep Pore Cleanser is $10.00 by itself. I'd put the link on here, but it's against the rules. Just try and do a search for Klear Action and look in the sponsored listings section of the results.

Otherwise, Oxy makes a benzoyl peroxide cleanser (which is what the Klear Action one is).

Does this really actually work? I've always thought that kits like ProActive, Klear Action and AcneFree are basically what I've always done: (morning and night, EVERY day) Use a cleanser, followed by a toner (w/ salycilic acid 2%) and 5% benzoyl peroxide. I thought that the reason why these kits work for people is because it gets them to do this twice a day, which is what usually works for topicals.

Now, I'm thinking I should try this... Any thoughts?

Also, what kind of acne do you get? I have most of my acne under control and am completely fine with the one or two pimples that I get now and then, but the cystic (inflammed, painful, deep in the skin...) acne that I get before my period is rediculous...

Old 08-25-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
(female)

amo HB User

I had a huge cyst forming on my chin (TOTALLY hormonal) and luckily, thanks to my new skin care routine, it seems to be going away without breaking thru the skin.
For me, none of the "acne" stuff works. I found my skin only got irritated and dry, and then I would get new pimples that came up under the dry, flaky areas. Ugly.

I wonder...even when we get our skin under control, will we as women always have to deal with hormonal breakouts? Whether it's "that time of the month" or even into menopause....scary thought.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:11 PM   #6
(female)

portrgirl HB User

amo: What are you using / doing now?

Old 08-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

I heard that if you have irregular periods and the typical PMS symptoms, then the supplement called "Vitex" (about $7.00 at any health food store) can really help acne.

However, if you have regular periods and don't usually have PMS symtoms, then Evening Primrose Oil and Saw Palmetto can help acne.

Vitex works by increasing progesterone and decreasing prolactin levels.. I have heard from a woman that worked at my doctor's office that is worked 100% for clearing her hormonal acne, but obviously it will only work if you are lacking progesterone.

I am using Evening Primrose Oil and it has worked magic for my chin/jawline monthly breakouts!! Evening Primrose Oil works with estrogen and testosterone (the sex hormones) but I am not exactly sure HOW it works.. I am no kind of expert on this, keep in mind, but I do know a little about various supplements. I do know that your best bet would probably go to an endrocrinologist and get your hormone levels checked and go from there

Old 08-25-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
(female)

portrgirl HB User

Because those supplements effect hormones, don't they interfere with bcp?

Old 08-25-2005, 07:12 PM   #9
(female)

amo HB User

portrgirl,
sorry I didn't post it before, but I feel like I'm posting all over this board about the products I like, I don't want people to think I'm trying to market it
So essentially I use Capsiderm cleanser, epidermx microdermabrasion cream, and camellia oil. There is a lot of info on this board about all three of these. I've been using the capsiderm for two and a half weeks, and I loved it from the start. Really helped with red marks and overall inflammation. I just started the Epidermx this week, but my skin has already shown improvement (hence that not-forming cyst)
I also ice my face, like, I run an ice cube all over my face to reduce inflammation. And I think it feels great, too!
And I also drink lemon water, a full lemon everyday.
That's the info....

Old 08-25-2005, 09:37 PM   #10
(female)

desertgirl HB User

I had hormonal acne so bad before I took accutane.... it was terrible... 5 to 15 lumpy cysts on my face at once! As if periods aren't bad enough by themselves, right? Now, I only get one or two tiny bumps on my face during my PMS. Maybe you should check out accutane as well, it really helps.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:53 AM   #11
(female)

stumoni HB User

Portrgirl...thanks for that info, I have pitched so many bottles of toner and cream. You have saved me some headaches THANK YOU! After reading more post on these boards I tried something different, Apple Cidar Vinegar(1part) with water(2 parts) shook it up and patted my face with it. At first I didn't feel anything, then I started to feel like I had a sunburn, splashed cold water on face and it got better. By bedtime 10ish my cystic zit popped open, junk out heeling starting. Now tomarrow I'll put on some AHA and that will help the sore go away quickly. Just do a search under ACV and look at all the post on it. Of course this is the first time I tried it, but I know I'm going to keep trying this. Good Luck
M.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:46 AM   #12
(female)

portrgirl HB User

I "bit the bullet" and stopped by Walgreens after work yesterday and bought a Klear Action kit. The last one they had left! I like the products a lot so far. The facewash has a rougher texture to it so it slightly exfoliates, the toner has no smell (great!) and really makes my skin feel fresh, and the bpo cream absorbs very well.

I read a lot of reviews about it... as well as many bad reviews about Acne Free (my brother and mother have tried it and hate it as well)... so I figured, it's only $20 and I've been wanting to try ProActive every few months but always put it off.

So, what, I lose $20 if this doesn't work? What if it DOES work? Then no waste. Either way, at least I'll be able to stop wondering.

(On a side note, my aunt and cousin both use ProActive and swear by it. I can say that both had really bad acne - aka: severe cystic acne all over their face / hormonal acne - and now their skin looks great.)

Old 08-30-2005, 07:24 AM   #13
(female)

stumoni HB User

Hello how is everyone today? I haven't checked the boards lately, with the kids back in school and their birthdays have me running all over.
So, I haven't been useing the A.C.V like I was going to. But I did water it down some more the last time. Portrgirl, I think you will like that stuff, it works well for me. But its that cleanser. Thats the good stuff the rest is well, it doesn't work if your out of cleanser. Let me know how its going. I wonder how all of this ties in with stress, and periods. Some days I wish menopause would just hit me! I'm tired of all this.
Bye, M.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:53 AM   #14
(female)

portrgirl HB User

Stumoni: Plenty of annoying "side effects" also come with menopause. I'm not quite sure which I'd rather have!! So far the Klear Action has been working fairly well. It's only been a few days, so we'll see...

From what I know, stress and periods can make acne worse / pop out from hormone surges, etc. If you take care of your skin on a regular basis, with medications that work, then the idea is that hopefully it'll be enough to prevent those hormonal outbreaks. If your pores are clear, then you're less likely to get acne as bad, or at all, during those times.

The Klear Action cleanser has 2.5% bpo, which I think might be what helps. The added bpo (unlike most cleansers which have salicylic acid or no BHA, AHA or bpo) helps acne-prone skin that much more. I could be wrong!

Old 08-30-2005, 10:40 AM   #15
(female)

MsBecca HB User

I'm on birth control for hormonal acne, and a regular face wash.... I had bad acne before but the pill has dramatically been improving things... It's always an alternative to trying several different products... there are lots of other benfits to the pill too. I like it a lot

Closed Thread