It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 07:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User
I need your opinions here...

Hey there everyone

Well as I am sure if you have checked out the Epidermx thread, you will know that I have been using the Epiderm products for a little over a month now with fantastic results. My skin looks noticeably more even toned, smooth, and my red marks from old breakouts have dramatically reduced!

However....(dun-dun DUNNN..) I am still having cystic breakouts. Now before all you Epidermx users start freakin out on me (lol) I KNOW it is not the Epidermx breaking me out.. in fact, whenever I get a new cyst and use the treatment, it goes down within a day and things are fine again, it's just the fact that for my extremely stubborn acne, it doesn't seem to be 100% preventing new breakouts. But I would say that is has helped prevent about 60% of my new breakouts. Also, like I said before, it has helped my skin look sooooo much nicer, I mean, the stuff really is a Godsend, and I will most likely be a lifetime customer for sure.

The thing is, even ONE cyst is one cyst too many for me. And although my breakouts have reduced, I am still sick of always having at least one throbbing cyst on my face at any given time. I have SUCH STUBBORN ACNE!

As many of you probably know if you are on these boards as much as I am , I have already been on one course of Accutane about four years ago and it cleared me 100% for a good year.. after that, I would only get the occassional pimple. Things were AWESOME. Now that I am going on 21 here in about four months, I think it's time to kick this acne in the butt one last time, and hopefully it will be my last --- I think I should for sure go on Accutane again. I have another derm appt. this Wednesday, and I already have all the papers filled out.... Half of me is pretty sure I want to do this, the other half of me has it's reservations since well, I only have about two smaller cysts on my face right now. I already know I would be put on 40 mg a day (I weigh anywhere between 105-110) and I am just afraid that I will end up harming my skin more than anything (HUGE initial breakout that will cause more scarring)...Or, it could just clear me right up from the beginning and this could be that last "kick" that finally beats this acne out of my system for good. AHHHH I just don't know?!?!? I need to make a final decision here, and I would like some outside opinions from all of you. Ultimately, I know it is up to me, but I would just like to see what everyone else has to say.

Thanks everyone, even if you don't respond I appreciate you taking the time to read my painfully long post, lol.

Last edited by Cassie4u22; 08-27-2005 at 07:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
(female)

dsobz HB User
Re: I need your opinions here...

Hey Cassie! Since you have helped me so much with the Epidermx, I'd love to give you my opinion. I will say upfront, I have never used Accutane and never will consider it an option(so I can't relate there). But, this is why...
You say you are just turning 21 and I can't help but think as you wind down in your 20's(losing stress) your cysts may go away on their own.
I am 27 and started having acne as a pre-teen. Through high school and early 20's, great skin! After marriage(stress!) and responsibility, more acne. It has been particularly more stubborn this past year(stress at my job). Now, I know that during this time I could probably get on Accutane and get rid of the stuff, but for me, I have no doubt that acne comes from stress, and yes, I get the cystic kind. And to me, it is worth working harder at becoming stress free for overall health, then popping a pill.
With the help from Epidermx(thank you!) benzoyl peroxide, drinking tons more water and just "chilling out" my acne has improved a ton over the past month. I am positive by years end my skin will be fine again.
So, in thinking, by the time I would get accutane, go through the initial breakouts, etc., I could be clear by then without it.
That's the hard way, yes, but if stress is not going away soon, then go for the accuatane. And stress can be more than just worrying, I notice I run so much more and have so many more time constraints in my life, that I am stressed mentally and physically. I hope this helps in your decision, eithe way, good luck!

Closed Thread