It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 02:31 AM   #1
(male)

Clark2000 HB User
seborrheic dermatitis

hi, i have seborrheic dermatitis on the creases in my nose and cheeks and ive had this problem for a while now, and it seems to have gotten slowly worse over time, anyway i have to choices both of which i am sick of.........

either i apply cream which leaves my face soooo freakin oily and screwed up, or i do nothing which leaves my face really red and flaky either way its bad, does anyone have a similar situation ? sd (seborrheic dermatitis) is truely a curse and i hate it so much, any response would be greatly apreciated thankyou.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 07:08 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User
Re: seborrheic dermatitis

Hi, I have sd, but on my head... my. dr. gave me nizoral shampoo, AND she also said she tells her patients with acne they can use it as a facewash...so perhaps using that would help the sd and not aggravate acne? It is also available in drugstores, but if you could get a prescription for it it'd probably be better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
(male)

Clark2000 HB User

is it very thick ? i have used shampoos on my face b4 but they leave it so oily that i just stop, thanks for ur help.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

The kind from the drugstore might be different, but the prescription one is a very thin gel, and pink...at first I didn't like it because it didn't lather very well (as a shampoo) but it made my head stop itching!

As far as the oilyness goes, I dunno...but it'd probably be better to treat the sd, and when it gets better you can use something else. Maybe you could use an oil control mousturizer and see if that helps?

Also, have you tried the liquid steroid stuff (prescription)? My dr. said you have to use that on really tough cases, just until it gets better...

Sorry if I rambled.....

Old 08-31-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
(female)

hmahappy HB User

The only thing that worked for my dandruff is the shampoos that have selenium sulfide- like H & S. but its like a chronic condition so if i stop using s.s., the flaky gross dandruff comes back. Nizoral did nothing for me... The only time the seberheic dermatitis stopped was when i was on Accutane- i guess it just dried out everything, if u know what i mean- (i'm one of those people where everything came back 6 mos after accutane. and i took it twice)
The red areas at your nose, the best thing is don't touch or irritate them- it makes it worse- and for me the neutragena healthy skin lotion helped to heal it some which i use after microscrubbing on all my face.
IF you have red greasy areas at your ears like me, the s.s. was helpful there.
Good luck!

Old 08-31-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
(male)

Clark2000 HB User

i read also that vitamin C helps the eczema is this true ?

hmahappy thats exactly wat i have red greasy areas and when u apply something it cant fully get it to an even tone with ur skin, not to mention leaves it very oily after use, i wanna get it to be gone completely im so tired of it going on 4 years now with this crap.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
(male)

Ngfan4lyfe HB User

I wish I could help you, I have the same exact thing. I was given sterroids from the derm didn't do much at all.. My best suggestion to you is get tea tree oil and jojoba oil, and put it on the nose creases with a q tip. That's what has helped me the most. I'm still searching for something to make it go entirely away. That garbage pro activ is what set me off to get it, cause the stuff just ruined my skin and gave me other issues.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
(male)

Clark2000 HB User

yea i know exactly wat u mean, it is worse then acne this crap and i hate it so much, sadly i think its gonna be with me for the rest of my life, wat triggered mine was some cream. i wish i could get it to be completely gone.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:26 PM   #9
(male)

Ngfan4lyfe HB User

That's what my derm said to me as well. It will never go away. I can't accept that as an answer. I will eventually find a way. I'm depressed about so much, and this just makes it worst. Trust me though, jojoba oil helps it a lot. Also wash your face with COLD water, or warm water.. Hot water makes it worst!

Old 09-01-2005, 02:23 AM   #10
(male)

Clark2000 HB User

this is my exact story to the dot, i am depressed about so much and this crap just makes it 100x worse, i also refuse to accept that it will be there forever but im starting to lose hope after going on 5 years with it, this jojoba oil does it leave ur skin very oily and greasy after a few hours and where is it sold, im willing to try anything at this point.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:39 AM   #11

RPMcCalip HB User

Hello, I had this problem over a year ago and it got really bad at one point, horrible redness around my nose especially, and around the goatee area, and some minor flaking and itchiness as well. The worst part was the redness, no doubt, it really looked terrible and I didn't go out for a week or two at least. Well I checked these boards for an answer (you can check my past posts or whatever for the thread if you'd like) and I got a few pretty good responses that have helped. I use the nizoral shampoo every couple of days for my goatee area, and it keeps that area from getting red and irritated. I never tried it on the rest of my face, but my skin is very sensitive and that would porbably only make it more red, or so it would seem. I used hydrocortisone cream that I bought at walmart for like 3 bucks, I used it for a week, I think three times a day, and the redness was gone, and then I have been using it maybe once or twice a week since then as "maintenance" and it does a great job. I know there are some possible side -effects for using steroid creams long term, but I think as long as you apply it sparingly and not multiple times a day you should be ok. The bad thing is it isn't a "cure" for me, because if I stop using it for a couple of weeks the condition comes back. All I have to do though now is apply it maybe twice a week at most before bed and wash in the morning, and I never have the problem anymore. This may not work for you, I know steroid creams have worked for some and not others, but it worked great for me. And if all else fails, for 3 bucks you might as well give it a shot. Try it and let me know how it goes. If that doesn't work for you, there were some other suggestions on my thread about SD a year ago that I was going to try if the cream didn't work, so you cvould give those a shot as well. I think one that seemed promising was ketacorazale (sp) or something to that effect. Let me know how it goes, good luck!

Randy

Old 09-01-2005, 06:57 AM   #12
(female)

hmahappy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark2000
i read also that vitamin C helps the eczema is this true ?

hmahappy thats exactly wat i have red greasy areas and when u apply something it cant fully get it to an even tone with ur skin, not to mention leaves it very oily after use, i wanna get it to be gone completely im so tired of it going on 4 years now with this crap.
Yeah definitely! Vit. C is great for skin- membranes, its an antioxidant, vit A is also very imp for skin. I definitely see a difference in my skin when I'm taking vitamins, drinking water, and eating fruits than otherwise. Although its still worse than normal people and acne still there- but relatively speaking of course!!

Old 09-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #13
(female)

somersault HB User

Hi

I'm not sure what this condition is that you're talking about, but I have severe dry skin...and I do mean severe! Red and flaky skin, clogged pores with hardened dry dead sebum. Is this similar to you? Check out what I had to say about these two moisturizers:

camellia seed oil
dermabutter

I wrote it in the "First Time Epidermx user" post. I think I'm number 67. Anyway I use Epidermx ever so ofter, and now I'm on these moisturizers. They've been helping me, and they don't clog pores!

Old 09-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #14
(male)

Ngfan4lyfe HB User

Listen don't use any creams. I used the ketarazole whatever it was, no help at all. It makes the skin thinner, NOT GOOD! Get jojoba oil. You can apply it at night before bed, if you're worried about it being greasy. It looks greasy at first, but it doesn't break you out. It gets soaked into the skin after awhile. I bought mine offline, but you can look in vitamin stores etc.. It helps A LOT!!! nothing else has helped this much.

im also thinking of cleaning out my system, because i hear this is something from within too.. so I'll see how that goes once I try it.

Last edited by Ngfan4lyfe; 09-01-2005 at 12:34 PM.

Old 09-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #15
(male)

Clark2000 HB User

i used locoid cream for a while but it just makes ur face so oily during the day its not even funny i had to stop with it,

my skin i have to constantly apply stuff or it will be dark red and flaky and really really bad, im going to look into the jojobo oil, do u have a specific kind you use, it is really frustrating this crap

last but not least my chin area has it to but i can 100% get rid of the redness if i just wash it with soap the only problem there is that i think the soap is clogging my pores and causing pimples which were about 95% gone when i was doing nothing to my chin, really just a bad situation even talking about it gets me depressed

Closed Thread