It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

Username: HB User
I have problems with mineral makeup

I've tried 3 seperate brands of mineral makeup for my skin and all 3 made it oilier than normal! I've tried it on my friends and they have the same problem, it seems to cause the skin to have an oily sheen after only 4 hours or so. What's the deal? Seems like all the ads say otherwise and everyone here loves the stuff, am I missing something? I really want a foundation that's good for my skin but I dont' want the sheen the mineral stuff has given me. Any input guys? THanks so much!

Old 08-30-2005, 12:00 PM   #2

Page Down HB User
Re: I have problems with mineral makeup

I can't use any of the mineral makeups either. I have an allergic reaction not only with my skin but with my eyes.

I know several people who use the mineral makeups and I can always tell those who have it on. I think it looks great when it is first applied but looks horrid after a couple of hours.

Do people just put makeup on and not bother to see what it looks like throughout the day?

Ugh.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
(female)

Evey55 HB User

I HATE the mineral makeup. I want to like it, but it just looks horrible on me.
It looks cakey and oily/shiny like an hour later.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
(female)

portrgirl HB User

I haven't found a foundation that doesn't keep my face from getting oily after a few hours. It's just the way my skin is, makeup or no makeup.

I've only used Pur Luxe Mineral Makeup and really like it. I never applied more than a LIGHT dusting on my face, using a smaller brush to cover up tiny spots with more powder. Like I said, my face still gets oily, but the powder coverage is great. I go between that and my Maybelline Oil Free foundation.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:02 AM   #5
(female)

portrgirl HB User

What product?

Old 09-11-2005, 07:20 AM   #6
(female)

mediamom HB User

Curious what brands you've tried. Those with bismuth oxychloride in their ingredient list tend to create more of a shine or glow and also is the culprit behind a lot of sensitivity that people experience with minerals. I use Arolmaleigh, which is one of the smaller brands out there that does not have bismuth in it. I have found it doesn't make me greasy or cakey at all. Very natural and I don't feel like I'm clogging up my pores. Depending on your skin type, they have different formulations (more matte or less so if you have drier skin). You can't go try them out in the department stores unfortunately--- as like a lot of these smaller brands, they are only available on line, but at least you can order very inexpensive samples to test both shades and wearability. After years of struggling with foundations that were heavy and greasy by day's end (even when they said they were for oily skin), this seems to finally be an answer for me. Might want to check it out...

Old 09-11-2005, 07:47 AM   #7
(female)

health15 HB User

I had the same problem at first with bare minerals. I would put it on and within less than an hour my face would seem so shiny. I ended up changing the moisturizer and cleanser that I was using and it is so much better now. I noticed that as soon as I put on my moisturizer my skin looked shiny, so I tried switching. My face also became less oily after about my 7th week of using retinA micro too. I'm sure that helped as well. Do the other mineral make up lines have something like the mineral veil? It is a light powder that you put on after the make up to get rid of any shine. You can also use it during the day as a touch up if you get shiny again.
I love the bare minerals now.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #8
(female)

mediamom HB User

Not sure of all the others but Aromoleigh has something called Porcelaine, which is a fairly colorless (comes in two shades but you can't really see much tone) mattifying powder that you apply under or over your makeup to absorb oil (or during the day if you get shiny). I also use it on my eyelids to resist oil there and keep my eyeshadow from creasing. Very handy product. One thing to consider about Bare Minerals is that they are quite pricey (suggest you do a price comparison with AL for the heck of it) and they contain Bismuth. But if you're happy, that's really all that counts!

Old 09-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

I use Pur Minerals and I like it alot. It covers pretty well and looks clean, not greasy, shiny or sparkly (unless I use the pur mineral bronzer). It doesnt keep me from being oily (maybe a little bit) but it make me more oily either. It also has SPF 15 in it which is a big plus.

Old 09-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
(female)

health15 HB User

Bare minerals might cost more than the other brands, it is actually the most convenient for me to buy. That is probably the main reason that I tried this brand of mineral make up first. They sell it at Ulta,which is walking distance from where I work. I can also return things if I am unhappy with the color. The other brands that I researched I could only find on line. It is hard to pick the right shade from pictures on line.

Closed Thread