It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

amo HB User
To Derm or not to Derm?

I could really use some advice guys.
I need help with my skin. It has gotten better, and I love the products I am using on my skin. My cystic acne has improved, but I still am covered with little bumps that don't get white heads, and don't seem to go away, and TONS of old red marks. I am using Epidermx for the red marks.
I have some important work coming up, involving my appearance. I have never been to a Derm before (I'm 28) for my acne. Only GP.
I really don't want to go back on the pill, but I was thinking about looking into Spiro or Nicomide or something.
I refuse to use Rx topicals, they have always wrecked my skin.
Will a derm help me? What's the verdict?
Please offer any advice or opinions...
Thanks

Old 09-06-2005, 06:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Kelly03 HB User
Re: To Derm or not to Derm?

I hate those bumps. What the heck are they. Anyhow. I am resorting to a dermatologist. Although I can't get in until October. Of course with my luck, I will have a short or temporary "clear up" right before I see the derm. and she will think nothing is wrong (except scarring). So I have taken pictures during flare ups. I think the cysts bother me the most. Of course if they were treated and gone, then I would complain about the others (regular acne/bumps and scarring).

Anyhow, I would go see a derm. and let them know your concerns about topicals and other treatments. The thing that sucks is we all have to experiment and see what works for us individually. I hate that, because I am impatient!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

amo HB User

Thanks Kelly,
Yeah, I hate the idea of experimenting (even tho I do it on my own ) with Rx stuff because it is so strong that if it isn't for you, it REALLY isn't for you.
I have a call into my GP to see if I can get a referral to a Derm. We'll see.
I may start a new vitamin routine in the meanwhile. I read about one on the vitamin/supplement board:
For acne (she said she and her brother cleared up doing this):

Vit.A 24,000 iu (reduce to 16,000 iu after one month)
Vit. C 3,000 mg
Vit. B 50 complex
Evening Primrose Oil 3,000 mg
Zinc w/ copper 30 mg (before bed)
Echinacea 15 drops in H2O 3x a day.

Anyone have any opinions on this?
I'm not currently doing this routine, so I can't really answer any questions about it...
3 g of vit. C a day, too much?
what about the vit. A, too much?

Old 09-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Kelly03 HB User

This is what I know:

Vitamin A promotes healthy skin & wound healing - can also be drying,
Vitamin C is antioxidant and wound healer,
Vitamin B Complex helps lower stress causing cortisol or hormones that cause acne, also helps promote healthy metabolic functions
Zinc is for healing also,
Echinacea if for immune system.

So the above may or may not work for you. Results vary by individual. It shouldn't hurt, but they are all supplements that would help and not hurt....again, everyone is different. Oh and I read somewhere not to go over 10,000 IU on Vit. A, but obviously they exceed that by alot with accutane. So maybe just watch yourself/symptoms. I would suppose symptoms may not exist though, as people on lower doses of accutane don't experience strong symptoms or side effects. Oh and by the way, this is just me though, but if I get too much Vit. C, I get cold sores (therefore I watch my intake with Vit. C).

Good Luck, that's what I know anyways.

Last edited by Kelly03; 09-06-2005 at 12:17 PM.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #5
(female)

jamilcp HB User

be careful with the large intake of vit A. it is not water soluable and can be stored in your body (liver i think) and can be harmful. you might want to do some research on that before taking such a large dose.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
(female)

jamilcp HB User

oh also, the little bumps are called closed comedones. i also get them and they are the worst to get rid of. i find that mine are usually caused by makeup. (foundation mainly i don't wear blush) it's so hard to find a truly oil-free foundation and i can't bear to go out without makeup on. many women get them on their cheeks from blush because the red dyes they use in blush are extremely comedogenic. i just bought the glo mineral foundation so i'm hoping that will help them decrease. i find using products with glycolic acid in them help. good luck to you!

Closed Thread