It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2005, 01:22 AM   #1
(female)

Jade4u HB User
Thumbs up Yasmin is a miracle!

Just wanted to let you guys know, Yasmin birth control pills cleared up my face completely! I have had acne for over 20 years, starting at age 8 or 9. I am 31 now and, until I started treatment with Yasmin, my acne seemed to be getting worse and worse each year. I was experiencing large, painful cysts all over my jawline and neck... not to mention the many smaller pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads dotting the rest of my face, back, and chest that had carried over from my youth. I would even break-out on my stomach!

But back in April, my gynecologist suggested that I try Yasmin to help clear up my face. This was basically a last resort before I moved on to Accutane, as none of the other prescription solutions, creams, or pills were helping my problem. Not even Ortho Tri-cyclen, which had been prescribed to me before. But about 3 months into my treatment with Yasmin, a miracle happened. My face started clearing up! I've been taking it for nearly 6 months now, and my skin is completely soft, smooth, and acne-free! Mind you, I don't even REMEMBER the last time that my skin looked or felt like this... I was probably in the third grade. I do have some dark marks left over from all the cysts that I had before, but they are fading fast.

So for any of you chicks out there who have just about given up, please consider trying Yasmin. It will take a few months before it starts working, but believe me, IT DOES.

Oh yeah, I also take the active pills consecutively. Meaning, I don't take the white ones. When I finish with the active pills, I just move on to the next pack. My doctor told me that this would help my acne even more, as I will experience less hormonal flux throughout the month. And a nice bonus - I'm not only acne-free, but I'm period-free. Woo-hoo!!!

Last edited by Jade4u; 09-07-2005 at 01:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2005, 04:06 AM   #2
(male)

ksaguy HB User
Re: Yasmin is a miracle!

birth control pills are for female only right?

Old 09-07-2005, 05:54 AM   #3
(female)

Evey55 HB User

Congratulations!!! That's GREAT news. I'm trying to convince my daughter to switch from Ortho Tri Lo to Yasmin. She uses Taz and is on Dorx. antibiotics, which I'd like to get her off of. I think maybe the Yasmin would help her enough to get off antibiotics.
Her problem is she's at college and the Ortho pill is VERY cheap at her school, usually the dr. gives her a few months supply, but for some reason, he won't do that with Yasmin and it's like $32 a month !!! I think it's worth the extra $$ if it helps !!!

Old 09-07-2005, 06:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

Thats great news Jade!

I have one question though...did you have an initial breakout when you started Yasmin?

Old 09-07-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

Yasmin was a miracle for me too! My skin is back to how it used to be before acne! It is smooth and soft. I have been on Yasmin for 6 months. It hasn't caused the weight gain either like all the other pills have. I really love it and I recommend it to anyone who feels that they have hormonal acne. I have posted on here several times about it clearing me up. I used to take the pack straight through but I quit doing that and I go ahead and have my period and I still don't break out. I haven't felt this much self- confidence in awhile! xismybaby, I did experince a pretty rough initial breakout from about the middle of the first month to the middle of the second month. But just alot of whiteheads. Then I started noticing I wasn't getting any new pimples and then my scars started to fade.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
(female)

Jade4u HB User

Ksaguy - Yeah, birth control pills are pretty much just for women. Although the anti-androgen properties that some of the pills have can do wonders for acne, that same effect will likely produce undesirable side-effects in men. Although I've heard that Propecia, a medication developed to treat mild to moderate male pattern hair loss, also has some anti-androgen properties... and obviously they prescribe that to men. So who knows what's on the horizon for male acne sufferers?

Evey 55 - Defininitely encourage your daughter to switch to Yasmin. From what I understand, Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo generally isn't used to treat acne... although Ortho Tricyclen (regular) is. The Tri-cyclen Lo has a lower concentration of female hormones, so it isn't able to suppress androgens (the acne-causing hormones) as well. My gynecologist told me that Yasmin is "the least androgenic of them all". So in women whose acne is caused by these hormones, it tends to work very well. I was using Tazorac cream and taking Minocycline 100mg twice a day before the Yasmin's effects kicked in. A few months later, I was able to discontinue both.

Xismybaby - I don't remember having an initial break-out when I started the Yasmin. My skin had been SO BAD, that I probably wouldn't have noticed any additional pimples anyway. I do remember feeling discouraged at first, because I wan't seeing a difference immediately. But my doctor told me to be patient and to give it 3 or 4 months to work. At 3 months I started noticing that I wasn't getting any new cysts. The few pimples that I did get were much smaller and closer to the surface. By 5 months, I saw that the old cysts were healing quite nicely and no new pimples were appearing. At 6 months, I'm still waiting for the marks on my face to fade... but they ARE fading. Any new blemishes that appear are few and far between. Even when I do get one, it's usually just a superficial blackhead or whitehead that can easily be treated.

Last edited by Jade4u; 09-07-2005 at 01:41 PM.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
(female)

Jade4u HB User

Just a side note - My skin, which used to look like an oil slick just 1 hour after washing my face, is now "normal" for the first time in my life... instead of "oily". I actually had a girl that I used to work with tell people that "you can fry a chicken on that girl's face". Too bad she can't see me now. LOL

Old 09-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jill30 HB User

I love Yasmine. My face has not had a pimple for a year. I love that I only get my period 1 day a month. Everyone should switch to Yasmine.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
(female)

Evey55 HB User

I'm forwarding this to my daughter!!! Hope it will help convince her. Along with me paying for it !!!!!

Old 09-07-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
(female)

Jade4u HB User

I have noticed that Yasmin is more expensive than some other birth control pills. Maybe it's because it's new and a generic is not yet available. I think the cost may be worth it, especially if you are able to discontinue other costly acne meds after the Yasmin clears up your skin.

I read in the package insert about how it can raise potassium levels in some people, so it is "not suitable for those with liver, kidney, or adrenal disease". I had my potassium checked after I started taking it, just in case. Mine came back fine, but others should keep that in mind and discuss it with their doctor before taking it.

I also noticed that I seem to urinate a lot more frequently since I've been on it.

Old 09-07-2005, 07:17 PM   #11
(female)

Evey55 HB User

I think maybe you go to the bathroom more often because of the spiro that's in Yasmin (or the spiro-like substance). I keep telling my daughter her bra size might increase too as a side effect...she likes that one!!!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
(female)

michelle333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade4u View Post
Just wanted to let you guys know, Yasmin birth control pills cleared up my face completely! I have had acne for over 20 years, starting at age 8 or 9. I am 31 now and, until I started treatment with Yasmin, my acne seemed to be getting worse and worse each year. I was experiencing large, painful cysts all over my jawline and neck... not to mention the many smaller pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads dotting the rest of my face, back, and chest that had carried over from my youth. I would even break-out on my stomach!

But back in April, my gynecologist suggested that I try Yasmin to help clear up my face. This was basically a last resort before I moved on to Accutane, as none of the other prescription solutions, creams, or pills were helping my problem. Not even Ortho Tri-cyclen, which had been prescribed to me before. But about 3 months into my treatment with Yasmin, a miracle happened. My face started clearing up! I've been taking it for nearly 6 months now, and my skin is completely soft, smooth, and acne-free! Mind you, I don't even REMEMBER the last time that my skin looked or felt like this... I was probably in the third grade. I do have some dark marks left over from all the cysts that I had before, but they are fading fast.

So for any of you chicks out there who have just about given up, please consider trying Yasmin. It will take a few months before it starts working, but believe me, IT DOES.

Oh yeah, I also take the active pills consecutively. Meaning, I don't take the white ones. When I finish with the active pills, I just move on to the next pack. My doctor told me that this would help my acne even more, as I will experience less hormonal flux throughout the month. And a nice bonus - I'm not only acne-free, but I'm period-free. Woo-hoo!!!

DID u still have horrible acne for the 3 months that u were on yasmin. Like..did it start clearing up on ur 4th pack/end of 3rd??

Old 07-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
(female)

kinsky HB User

I went on yasmin and it kept my skin clear, i only got a few small spots while taking it. However when it came time for me to come off it, my skin was so horrific. I had bad acne on my face , neck, back , chest , arms etc. Before going on it i only had normal looking acne

Old 07-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #14
(female)

kesae HB User

I feel better when I take Yasmin body wise but I haven't seen a real improvement on my skin yet. I am starting my second month soon. I just wanted to know why they give white inactive pills if you can just move on to the active pills in the next pack? Is this really okay to do?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #15
(female)

lollobrigida2 HB User

Yasmin is currently working for me too. I was on Marvelon for the past 5 years and decided to stop it because I was getting dangerous and annoying side effects in the 5th year. I was planning to stay off the birth control pill for a year to give my body a break. But, just a few months after stopping it, my face exploded with acne. I began to panick and decided to go back on the pill but a different one. My gyno insisted on Alesse, even though I was hesitant because of the bad reviews I had read. Just as I had thought, Alesse did not work. It made my acne worse and cystic like as well as it made my skin and hair oilier. I later realized that Alesse had Androgen in it which is a male sex hormone that produces oil. Not good for acne-prone skin!!!
YASMIN is now my miracle-worker and acne-controller. I have only been on it for over a week and you can see a difference. I am still left with blemishes and marks from before but they are healing. Yasmin has no androgen so my skin looks matte and non-oily. As for side effects, I have not been experiencing much right now. But I strongly advise those who experience migraines, numbness in your arms or legs, violent mood swings...etc, to IMMEDIATELY stop whatever pill you're taking because it is extremely hazardous to your health. Trust me on this!

Yasmin: recommended for those with oily, acne-prone skin.

Aftermath: I do not know personally, but I have read many who have experienced harsh breakouts after stopping Yasmin. The same happened to me with Marvelon.

Long-Term Effects: This has not yet been confirmed by doctors or drug companies.

Closed Thread