It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
(female)

kittenkaboodle6 HB User
Spiro vs. Yasmin -> anyone who has tried both, please help!!!

I've been on spiro for about 3 months and I'm seeing results, but not to the point I want to be. My chin is much clearer, but now my cheeks have broken out more. I was reading good things about yasmin, and i know they are similar drugs (spironoaldactone and drospirone) but i'm not sure if I should try to switch. Any input would be SO HELPFUL!!
thanks!

Old 09-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
(female)

desertgirl HB User
Re: Spiro vs. Yasmin -> anyone who has tried both, please help!!!

I've been on both and I'm still using the Yasmin right now. I took accutane, so I really can't compare what they each do in terms of helping with acne because I don't have many pimples at all now due to the accutane.

Here's what I can tell you about Yasmin. You know how birth control pills are divided by weeks, right? Well, at the end of week 1 and the beginning of week 2 on yasmin, I always get about two tiny baby zits between my nose and upper lip. These are not bad at all and go away in two days. They're not noticeable. I think it must be the yasmin causing them though, because I get them the same time each month. They're not always in the same spot, but are in the same area. I'm pretty sure that they are caused by the hormones in yasmin, but they're hardly a problem. That's my only "complaint" about the pill. There are some really good things about it too. First, it doesn't make me all hormonal and crazy. No mood swings on this pill. Other ones have turned me into a crazy woman. Yasmin, like spiro, is a diuretic, and helps you keep off all that bloat during your period. This pill has helped soooo much with my cramps (sorry for the T.M.I.) and helps shorten the period to 3 or 4 days.

In my opinion, Yasmin is a great birth control pill. If you're going to use yasmin to prevent pregnancy or to regulate your period, then I would suggest trying it. If you're just using it for your skin then I would just stick with spiro. Messing with your hormones by taking the pill if you're not using it for actual birth control seems like a drastic step, especially if you have the great option of sprio. Good luck, I hope some of this helps.

Last edited by desertgirl; 09-08-2005 at 09:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I disagree. Yasmin is a wonderful pill! It has cleared my face. I have been on it for 5 months. My derm. put me on this pill because he said it would really help me. And it sure has! If you are wanting to clear your skin or prevent pregnancy it works great for either but if you do get on it be ready to be on it for awhile because when you do get off of it your breakouts will probably come back because your hormones aren't regulated anymore. But then again they may settle down on their own after you get off and you won't have that problem.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
(female)

desertgirl HB User

I said that it was a wonderful pill... that's why I'm on Yasmin. I love it. My only point is why screw with the good results she's having on spiro.... unless she'd be on Yasmin to prevent pregnancy or regulate her cycles. The ol' addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it comes to my mind..."

Old 09-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #5
(female)

kittenkaboodle6 HB User

Thanks for the input!
So you're saying that you feel the anti-acne properties of both meds are about the same? that is my #1 concern right now. i would switch to Yasmin if it worked better for acne; right now i don't care about my cycle, contraceptives, etc. compared to the acne benefits. how would you compare the two based on the effect on acne alone?

Last edited by kittenkaboodle6; 09-12-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
(female)

desertgirl HB User

I'd say stick with the spiro... you're probably getting a larger amount of sprio now than you would be getting if you just went on Yasmin. Yasmin has things mixed with the spiro... taking the spiro straight up seems like a better way to get more of it into you system. Plus, why screw with your hormones if you don't have to? I've heard some say that Yasmin actually makes people break out before clearing their skin.

Bottom line, if it's just for acne I'd stay on the spiro. Yasmin isn't one of those pills (like ortho tri-cyclen) that has been "approved" as a pill to help acne. It's just a side effect.... spiro has been proven to help with acne. If you're happy with the way your skin looks, then I wouldn't change. It'd be awful to take a different medicine and have your skin break out. That happened to me a few times and it sucked.

Closed Thread