It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
(female)

mediamom HB User
What do you think derm will suggest (40 yr old Female)

Hi all. After 9-12 months of mild to moderate small cysts on my jawline and neck (only one side), I have finally decided to consult a derm). I've never had an acne problem but in my late 30s started to see more generally oily skin as well as flareups in the jaw neck region of pimples and cysts. They are not really they painful cysts but they don't seem to go away or come to a head and they are very deep in the skin (plus they months to heal and scar). Topicals from the drugstore don't really help but I continue to try them . Obviously this must be hormonal acne since I don't have any history of it from my teens or 20s.

For those of you with derm experience, what do you expect they will suggest or prescribe? I can't take BC pills so that option is out, but wondering what the other common treatments for hormonal and mild cystic acne are. Would like to go in to the visit educated on various treatment options and their pros and cons. I also don't want to overdo, as if you saw me, you wouldn't say she suffers from bad skin. My breakouts are not hugely obvious to others (just to me) which is why I've been trying for so long to treat myself using over the counter formulas.

Anyway, would appreciate thoughts and advice!

Old 09-11-2005, 08:04 AM   #2
(female)

health15 HB User
Re: What do you think derm will suggest (40 yr old Female)

I bet the derm will suggest an antibiotic (that was the first thing mine suggested). I refused to take it. He also suggested spirolactane which I also refused to take until I had my hormones checked. They were normal so I didn't take that.

Your situation sounds a bit like mine. I had mild to no acne until january 05, I was 37 at the time and had mild/moderate acne for the first time in my life! I tried the typical stuff that worked in the past, with no change. (BP, proactiv, SA washes). My derm gave me Rosula pads and my face got worse after 6 weeks. I ended up using green cream with a retinol for about 3 months and than started retinA micro. You might want to try one of these products. The thing that I like about retinol and tretonoin is that they also help with wrinkles! Kind of a nice bonus.

I am also taking antioxidants with exta zinc and milk thistle and use epidermx 1 time a week.
Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread