It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
(male)

primo1 HB User
dry skin = itchy skin? help please!

hi, my face itches for around 8 months now. it's hard to explain but it's like a small rash/red patch that appears only in certain areas on my face and it itches. i don't know what's causing it before but i think i know now. whenever i finish cleansing my face, it would be very dry and tight then around 10 minutes later, their goes the annoying itchiness. i have oily skin (maybe due to over dried skin?) so two hours later when my face becomes so oily, the itchiness decreases until it's finally gone. so anyone have any similar experiences? can a dry skin cause some itchiness? suggestions? btw, im using neutrogena extra gentle cleanser and it still dries my skin out. this is so annoying so please help me!!!

your help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Last edited by primo1; 09-11-2005 at 11:26 AM.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
(female)

health15 HB User
Re: dry skin = itchy skin? help please!

Dry skin can definately cause itchy skin. Do you put anything on your face after you wash? Like a moisturizer? You might want to try putting some cortisone cream on the itchy parts until it goes away. Maybe try another face wash. Maybe that is what is causing it. I use Acne Aide. Very mild basic soap that doesn't dry my face out. I have Very sensitive skin. Some sunscreens actually cause my skin to itch or burn. Do you use a sunscreen? I would say to either figure out what product is causing it, or just use a good moisturer to help with the dry skin and cortisone until it goes away.
8 months is a long time to be dealing with this. Maybe you could see your doctor?

Last edited by health15; 09-11-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

I have had the exact same thing plaguing me for well over a year...prob. 2 years! This is prob. not any consolation to you, but I also suffer with itchiness and small red patches that pop up around my face and itch like crazy! Esp. after washing my face. My face is quite dry, so I have that to contend with, but I find that using a 1% hydrocortisone cream with a hypoallergenic, heavy cream helps me a lot (I use Glaxol Base, not sure if you can get that outside of Canada). I also pat the moisturizer on my face instead of rubbing it and I always always always use cold water on my face when I wash and even in the shower to avoid getting more of the itchies and red patches. Mine, too, go away or at least diminish after some time... If it helps, my patches of redness and itchiness do come and go...I find they're best if I don't eat dairy and use fragrance free/everything free detergent. If you don't want a heavy cream, I'd still suggest the hydrocortisone cream from time to time when things are really bad.

Old 09-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

Also, I use a very gentle cleanser: cetaphil. Works pretty well.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:42 PM   #5
(female)

somersault HB User

Not to scare you, but I really think you need to research eczema on the internet. 8 months is a long time, and I think you may have the symptoms of a form of eczema. If you find that most of your symptoms match then you need to see a dermatologist right away.

I'm going to be going to a dermatologist next month for a severe dry skin problem that I've had for 10 years. I researched my symptoms on the internet and found out my symptoms are an exact match for a rare skin disease.

If you have a real problem and a persistent one at that, like it seems you do, don't wait to see a doctor. Don't wait like me. It's ruined the last decade of my life and I need to start treatments right away.

Good luck to you. Hope it's just an allergic reaction you're experiencing, but you definitely need to research skin diseases and see a doctor since this is going on almost a year for you.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:07 PM   #6
(female)

health15 HB User

Yes, I have had eczema since I was 5, I'm 38. Doctors usually prescribe some type of steriod cream. I rarely get it on my face, mostly on my hands and ankles. I have tried just about every cream that is made and Vanicream is the best. Even cetaphil cream sometimes burns my skin. I use Vanicream on my body and face. Even as an eye cream and under my make up! It is what the pharmacists use to mix prescriptions with. It is great stuff, I highly recommend it. They sell the regular Vanicream and vanicream light.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #7
(female)

health15 HB User

oops, sorry.

Last edited by health15; 09-12-2005 at 06:16 PM.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #8
(male)

primo1 HB User

thanks for the answers!

right now i don't put anything on my face. i used to put retin a as my medication before but i already stopped it for a month now. i also don't put moisturizer and sunscreen on my face fearing i might break out from it. lol! i searched for eczema today and i think that's what i don't have (i hope so) it isn't raised or anthing. it's a flat rash/red patch that's somewhere from an inch long and a half inch wide and it doesn't itch SO bad (only bad, lol!) but it's to the point thats its so annoying and the red patch looked like i got a sunburn only on certain areas, lol! which is embarrassing. hmm i really think this is due to dried skin after washing, 'cause now 8 hours from washing, my face is already so oily and i don't experience any itching. i used to to use cetaphil before and it still dried my skin out and also caused some itching, that also goes to st. ives apricot scrub (thinking it might be the dead skin that's causing it but i don't think so). so do you think it's time to moisturize?

anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by primo1; 09-11-2005 at 09:11 PM.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:10 AM   #9
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

I would definitely moisturize your face. I, too, believe a lot of my problem is due to skin sensitivitiyy to dry conditions as well as the temperature of water. But i also think it has to do with a combination of other things as well. Just so you know, and what I've been told by several doctors as well (physician, allergy doctor, naturopaths, and dermatologist...these are all the people that I've been to see about this!) is that rashes are VERY hard to diagnose and often times come and go on their own accord without any rhyme or reason. I mean, DEFINITELY go and get it checked out, but I am just relaying my own experiences with the same type of condition.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #10
(female)

health15 HB User

Did you ever hear of SLS? Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laurith Sulfate? There was a good post about it a while back. It is a very harsh detergent that is in a lot of stuff. It is VERY drying to the skin and can irritate a lot of people. It is used to make shampoo and liquid soaps nice and foamy or sudsy. It is actually in Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser!! I was using it when my skin was so dry and couldn't believe it when I checked the ingredients. Maybe do a search on this board and read the old post. there was a lot of information on different products with it and without it.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #11
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

No kidding! Well, maybe I should look more carefully at the ingredients in that stuff. The good news is that, and I guess it is really some strange reason, my skin does not react to Cetaphil at all... It actually feels quite nice and soothing on my skin and doesn't dry it out (except in the winter, when EVERYTHING dries my skin out). Tell me, what are some other, cream-based, soothing, hypoallergenic cleansers to use? I am nearing the end of my bottle of cetaphil and I'd love to consider some alternatives (although not sure I want to give up my Cetaphil...it's the only thing that has worked!)

Old 09-12-2005, 11:35 PM   #12
(male)

primo1 HB User

yup! SLS is harsh for your skin because that is also the ingredient they use in hair shampoos, bath, shower gels, bubble baths, and they also use this ingredient to wash garage floor cleaners, car soaps, engine degreasers, etc. i know that the SLS in cetaphil is only in small amount (because SLS tends to be foamy but the cetaphil isn't) but SLS is known to be a pore clogger.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:40 PM   #13
(male)

primo1 HB User

hey guys! i have found a new cleanser that doesn't dry me out and FINALLY it doesn't itch!

i bought the aveeno moisturizing bar with natural colloidal oatmeal and i have to say this is the best cleanser i have ever used! for the first use, you wouldn't experience any moisturizing effect but for now, (my 4th use of this cleanser) i have noticed my skin is softer and moisturized than ever! and it doesn't itch!

Closed Thread