It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 06:25 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Kelly03 HB User
Campho Phenique works??? or was it my regimen kicking in...

Not sure what happened, darnit, I mean wahoo, but darnit. I lost 5 zits overnight! I counted 25 (including I think it was 8 cysts) last night before I went to bed. This morning I woke up to less zits? So I counted. Yep only 20! Including 2 cysts now that are still big but have shrunk. The other 6 cysts were smaller in size and/or on their way out and now are either gone or the size of a zit now, so I’m not sure which was actually a cyst or zit. Did my trying Campho Phenique really work, or was it my regimen I’ve been doing for about 6 weeks now…..and built on since week 1???????

So here my dilemma. Does campho phenique really work that wonderous? (or maybe for me anyways). I have a hard time believing I would have such success over night. I am convinced that maybe something else I’ve been doing had something to do with it. But why all the sudden in one night I lose 5 zits – yes there is a red mark in some spots left over, but not an active zit anymore. I am bewildered. My problem, I tried more than one thing at a time, therefore can not pin point what exactly worked. That’s my darnit. See like a lot of you I am inpatient. I couldn’t help it. I took a few things that I thought might work or that hopefully wouldn’t hurt (from this board) and tried them. Oh and in between tried some things that really irritated or made worse – in my opinion and stopped them within 1-2 days, especially if they burned and I couldn’t handle them….so I won’t list my burning failure products. Spent lots of money trying different things, luckily lately I kept receipts and/or check to see if I could return it.

You may want to also read the other thread on Campho Phenique, it kinda explains why they tried it and such…..that’s obviously how I got the idea.

Last edited by Kelly03; 09-12-2005 at 06:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Kelly03 HB User
Re: Campho Phenique works??? or was it my regimen kicking in...

Yikes, ya ready for this? This is what I did…….bear with me:

WEEK ONE:
1. Started taking a really good multivitamin (directions go by your weight, I take 2 a day, one in morning and one at lunch or at dinner)
2. Restarted using my differin and clyndamycin gel again – (it stopped working for me after a few years so I quit using it regularly and hadn’t used it much lately)
WEEK TWO:
1. Added fish oil capsules – omega 3 (2 a day – one morning, one night, per directions)
2. Started colon/intestinal detox (please note during my detox, I would forget to take the amount recommended and even skip a day and so on……..so after about 4 days I quit and went to buy the detox in pill form and then started the whole detox over again)
WEEK THREE:
1. Added 2 cups green tea to my daily intake
2. Tried to cut down gradually to only 1 cup coffee and made sure I still drank atleast 2 cups green tea (caffienes not good for acne and green tea is antioxidant)
3. Quit smoking (with zyban and nic patches) – nicotine is an inflammatory, also it was affecting my health, asthma, allergies and cost too much….so I quit – big stress added there
4. Started mild cleanser, cetaphil, even used it as a moisturizer sometimes, other times used oil fight moisturizer
5. Started using a night treatment NuSkin ClearAction Acne Medication Night Treatment and NuSkin ClearAction Acne Medication Toner (FYI the NuSkin products are not all that cheap, but I thought return it if didn’t like it and heck if it worked, I would almost pay anything)
WEEK FOUR:
1. Added B-Complex vitamin (hoping to help the stress hormone, which can cause acne)
2. Neosporin on bad cysts (help them heal?, and on smaller ones that were crusted or I picked and wanted to try to heal them faster)
3. Cut down to every other night on my night treatment (see number 5 on week 3)
4. Added NuSkin ClearAction Acne Medication Cleanser and NuSkin Epoch Acne Spot Treatment (FYI the other spot treatments I tried at the beginning – didn’t meantion products – they were too harsh or too drying). The Epoche Spot Treatment was more gentle and didn’t stink when applied – it claimed to be much gentler than other spot treatments – so sucker me bought it and tried it.
5. Started taking Accuzine.
6. Added more Vitamin A (potent 8,000 IU), not sure if this is way too much, but…
7. Tried a new oil control moisturizer – I have extremely oily skin – Estee Lauder ClearDifference Oil Control Hydrator – not cheap
WEEK FIVE:
1. Cut to every other day on Vitamin A, didn’t want to over do it or over dose or something on vitamin A, also didn’t want to over dry or weaken my liver – I am hoping or was hoping to go on Accutane, if none of anything else worked – therefore didn’t want to upset my liver right before hand.
2. Changed from fish oil to flax seed oil capsules (was told they may be better, they have omega 3 & 6 in them)
WEEK SIX:
1. Trying ½ Aloe Juice & ½ Water as a spray on toner – after my NuSkin Toner (maybe help with healing time)
2. End of week six, tried Campho Phenique as a spot treatment– another last resort
3. Cut to every other night with the Night treatment, and Epoche Spot treatment (thought both might be a little strong for me – I have VERY sensitive skin I found out……..heck every day might work for others, but after cutting back things got better, oh even tried to eliminate the night treatment one night and next morning bad breakout and new cyst – did night treatment one night, then spot treatment the other)
4. Last night read of Campho Phenique, yes the cold sore treatement – suppose to help treat & heal acne faster (years ago it was also for acne treatment and said so on the bottle, but now it doesn’t say it anymore, but ingredients are the same). Used it as a spot treatment, went to bed and now this morning I am 5 zits fewer and redness and swelling noticeable gone down!!!!

Old 09-12-2005, 06:32 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Kelly03 HB User

Just to let you know, week two things started to get worse, then week three more worse, by week four I was the worse I’ve ever been (wrong, week 5 terrible). More cysts than a person could count, well I could count them but…….and I knew that with some regimens a person gets worse before better, as things are being brought to the surface. Week 6 worse again……..then one night all the sudden better? Maybe things run their course or my initial breakout was on it’s way down, or maybe just maybe the Campho Phenique last night actually helped. See that’s my dilemma, what worked? Why all the sudden in one night did I lose 5 zits? Why in one night did a lot of the redness and swelling go down…….run their course, coincidence or did the Campho work???? I’m sure everything kinda played a part, but somehow feel the campho helped. Oh and on and off I stopped some of my regimen, thinking I was making it worse…..and then I would only get worse, not better, so tried to stick it out and kept HOPING I was having an intial breakout of some sort.

See I’m not completely sure, so I listed everything I did above, just in case. It sure is a schedule/regimen I’ve been doing, but I hate that I was so inpatient, that I don’t know if it all had something to do with it or what.

One more thing…..I WILL NOT be keeping this whole thing up. If this works and I become clear…….the above may break me, money-wise, so….I will continue some of the supplements every day, but I think on some of the other supplements and/ or products I will cut back on every other day, and eventually some of the products will use if/when needed. I will slowly cut back…….if I start to get worse, I will add it back in again and experiment with the next cut.

I know all is too soon to tell. I mean come on, one night and I’m getting better. Yeah right. So I will continue to post my progress or what’s happening.

So if this is working, it is what is working for me (I say if this is working because I think it’s too soon to tell). Everyone is different (had to add that……..I am not claiming I have the miracle cure or regimen). It’s what may be working for me…….too soon to tell.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:44 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Kelly03 HB User

by the way, why was I doing all this? a desparate attempt, and seems like a lot....because it was my last resort to try before I see my derm in late October and ask for Accutane. Yes I tried almost everything else, prescriptions, orally and topical, OTC, online products, eating habits and so on. Quick. I have moderate severe acne (my opinion), extremely oily skin. I am 33, female, 3 kids (tubes tied, now so I am not on birth control anymore - that seemed to help a little). Acne seemed to get worse as the years went by, more and more cysts and bigger and bigger. Oh and my acne wasn't that bad as a teenager, normal zits every once and a while. Mine was more adult acne and now more recently, slowly got worse and worse (the last few years).

Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Kelly03 HB User

Hi again, I know the above was kinda obnoxious.....I mean really. Who can follow that? Just wondering if you had the time to read through it, do any of you see what may have helped or is maybe making it worse? I did decide now to take out the potent Vitamin A. Only took it for a little while and then every other day, so maybe about 10 doses total???

If you notice anything in my regimen that you think helped, I would love to hear it. I'm sure almost any of it could have helped though. I took alot from what I learned here on the boards and concocted my on regimen that I thought might work. Or started one thing, then another, then another....was inpatient.

Does anyone think the campho might have helped or was it coincidence and it ran its course?????

Old 09-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #6

karen t. HB User

Kinda weird, I went to the orthodontist today and had brace work done, well, left there with my lips really sore, came home and put some campho-phenique on them and instantly felt better, well, then after reading the previous post I thought why not try it on one pimple, well, that was four hours ago and I swear that it looks better and drying up. Maybe we're onto something, it does say that it helps soothe with scrapes and bites, maybe wishful thinking but will let you know as the days go on.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Kelly03 HB User

Thanks karen t.....just so everyone knows. I did phone the company that makes campho phenique today. I inquired about people using the products years ago as an acne treatment. Customer Service went back into history of the product and they said it obviously must have been an old home remedy, because they have no record of claiming it helps with acne. Of course they also do not recommend it for anything other than what it says.

But remember, the bottle also says for minor cuts or scraps, bug bites and whatever else.....I'm thinking my zits sometimes are minor zits or sores (a scrap is a sore, right?).....or.........ok ok. But really, I am trying it. It seems to be doing something, honest, for me. Already now (this is one whole day - started using it at bedtime last night) my zits and 2 cysts have come to the service and others are calming down and shrinking. It's kinda not real. It sure is a happy feeling for once.

I will keep my progress posted.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Kelly03 HB User

Just a quick update. 2 of my cysts came to a head today, and thought they never would, they just looked like they wouldn't or would have taken a VERY long time. Rest of acne shrinking. Not sure if the Campho has anything to do with it.....but I'll take what I can get. That's really all my update.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:31 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User

Well, it's hard to tell if it was the Campho because you're doing so much at once. The only way I can see that you could tell is to just use that by itself. I have put it on boils, and they're close to zits, so it would probably help bring them to a head. Camphor and phenol both are used in a lot of things like that.

You know, I was just thinking that a friend of mine's mom used to use Compound W for zits, and it made sense because it's a higher concentration of salicylic acid than acne meds, but it burned holes in my face, so I wouldn't reccomend that to anyone.

Last edited by cuddledumplin; 09-14-2005 at 06:43 AM.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Kelly03 HB User

cuddledumplin, ouch with the Compound W.

Update: this morning one more zit came to head. Last cyst left has shrunk more, about pea size now. All other acne is now in its healing process. Now if I can just leave my face alone & let the remnants heal - I seem to pick at the dry skin or scabs (I hate that word). Anyhow, I have no ACTIVE ACNE left!!!! Just the leftovers from acne to heal now (red marks, dry or scabs over healing acne). And the cyst is smaller.

I'm sure the supplements are helping too, as the tone of my skin - is becoming better.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:37 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Kelly03 HB User

Another update, things are still healing. But this obviously it's more a spot treatment. This morning woke up with another giant cyst on my jaw line. Dang it, I was starting to clear up and bamm! I hate it and can't take it. Been on supplements about month give or take. Topicals obviously just to treat existing or outside of skin. Should I resort to accutane? I can't handle cystic acne, expecially when I can get 10 at a time, right now I have one huge one on chin and one small one healing? And about 20 other zits trying to heal, some seem like they pop back up and say I'm not done yet, I hate those kind. So accutane is probably it for me.

The campho helps a little with the pain, and I suppose it cleans, but its a spot thing I just tried, it's not a cure, and I knew that. But I thought maybe my supplements would help by now.

Arggggg!

Old 09-18-2005, 04:35 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User

I'm sorry that all of that isn't working, but maybe give it a little more time. It's your call about whether to go on Accutane or not. Keep trying, I know something will work for you. *hugs*

I kind of know how you feel. I had relatively clear skin for a long time (a zit here and there), and my face just exploded a couple of weeks ago. I got a mass of painful boils in my armpit at the same time too (They've healed though), and now I have one beneath my earlobe. It's so freaking ugly (Frankenstein huge). If it doesn't heal in a couple of days, I'm going to the doc. Anyway, the zits just don't seem to be going away. I said I'd never use benzoil peroxide again, but I did from desperation, and it didn't work.

Closed Thread