It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 07:10 PM   #1

wheatthin HB User
Almost 40, stopped OC, now with acne for 1st time in life!

I am 39 yo female and have never had problems with acne or breakouts in my life until the last 6-8 months. I stopped taking birth control pills about a year ago and guess that's the reason for the acne now. Anyone else gone thru this? I am planning to start back on the pill to see if it helps, but would rather not if there's any other options. I've tried antibacterial soap, cleansers with salicylic acid, etc with no improvement. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Wheatthin

Old 09-16-2005, 03:28 PM   #2

wheatthin HB User
Re: Almost 40, stopped OC, now with acne for 1st time in life!

Accidently posted this message twice. Bumping this one up. Anyone out there have any advice? Thanks.
Wheatthin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #3

JanetinHouston HB User

Hey Wheatthin,

I am going through the same thing. I am 38 and have been off my birth control since May and my skin is driving me crazy. I have not had acne in 15 years and it is really bothering me! My gyno took me off birthcontrol because I have two painful fibroids in my uterus and he said that something in the birth control feeds them. I am going back to him in two weeks and I'm going to beg him to put me back on. Right now I am on Spiro but it is just not working that great.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

stojack HB User

I'm pretty sure it's the estrogen that's feeding the fibroids. I have one also and was off bc for 10 years. just went on again last year, nuva ring, didn't do much for my acne. Now i'm on yasmin, we were just going to monitor the fibroid to see how it does. I'm pretty sure my doc is going to take me off too, because my mom just went throug breast cancer and it was an estrogen fed tumor. I'm just not someone to be on hormones. I started the yasmin two months ago and thought i was seeing some improvement, but now i have my period and the typical breakout to go with it. I'm 36 and fed up with acne. I can't remember when i didn't worry about my skin. I'm wondering if they can increase your dose of spiro, i've read other posts and sometimes people require a higher dose to see results.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:06 PM   #5

wheatthin HB User

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking seriously about starting Yasmin this last weekend - I have samples from my MD and everything. However, for the first time in 6+ months, my skin is clearing up! I did put some aloe vera on the breakouts that were healing and I've noticed a big difference. So, I'm staying off the bcp if I can as long as my skin is looking better. Thanks again for responding.
Wheatthin

Closed Thread