It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
(female)

cirus124 HB User
HELP! Should I take accutane!?

I am 14 (15 in Jan. 28) and a fresman at highschool, and i have had acne since I was in 4th grade (9 years old then, that's 5 years!)

It started out just those sweat bumps under my bangs but by 5h grade they were full fledged pimples and I struggled from teasing. by 6th grade it spreaked to the 'T' zone and was just very red and embrassing until 8th grade where it began spreading to my right cheek. Also it has gotten to my shoulders and back REALLY BAD, not red, but tons of bumps on my shoulders that are really embrassing, so much so I haven't gone to the beach since then.

I have tried every kind of skin stuff you can think of, my mom even went out and got me that Proactiv stuff (which did NOTHING but dry my skin out!) and basically up till now I have been struggling with a mild case of acne I can almost sense getting worse. I don't want to sit around and wait for it to spread to my left cheek and just get worse from there (cysts and stuff, I've had them on my chin tons of times and certainly don't want them on my CHEEKS!) please help, my mom says she will take me to a derm. if this is what I really want and I have spent the betterpart of this week researching stories of success (for optimism) cures for the common alignments you mgiht suffer from (bloody nose, etc) and so on.

But should I really do it? I understand this is a gigantic risk, but I feel the rewards of no longer looking in a mirror in disgust far outweight that.
Please have some input, I really can't take 3 more years!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #2

Delta HB User
Re: HELP! Should I take accutane!?

I would go with a yes on that one, if you understand all the risks that are involved. Most likely the worst thing that would happen would be some chapped lips and dry skin. I think it is very worth it to not have to go through the torture of haveing acne for the next who knows how long. If i had known that i would have had acne for so long i would have taken accutane sooner. I am almost done with my first month of accutane and am seeing some improvment. In my opinion it is definetly worth the risk, and if you do start to get some really serious side effects you can always just stop the medication. When you go to the derm tell him you want accutane, dont hesitate.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:19 PM   #3
(female)

cirus124 HB User
Re: HELP! Should I take accutane!?

Thanks alot, it's really helping me make up my mind. i already raided my house of all the chapstick (i have like 4 sticks in my purse, ehhe) and my mom has tons of face creams for dry skin. i guess my only real worry is the initial breakout some people have when taking it.

Did you have some bad breakouts at first? If so what'd you do to take care of them cause i read accutane makes your skin really sensitive to picking, etc. and do you still use regular acne medicene (like pro-active or oxy? i'm using oxy currently, not really helping, but doesn't hurt to try and be persistent) while on accutane? Guess i just want to have a headstart on the medicene!

Closed Thread