It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User
Which foods cause acne, Once and for all?

So, starting about three weeks ago and up untill this week my skin was 99% clear, the clearest it's been since I was 12. I'm 22 years old now. As soon as I stopped lifting weights my skin cleared up and I have continued not to lift but my acne's coming back. I can see lots of bumps under my skin again and 5 or so pimples. So I tried to figure it out, what could have been causing the acne or the lack thereof? Well I started eating 5 flax seed oils every morning when my acne cleared up, but I'm still eating them and I'm breaking out again. Hmm I stopped drinking my protein shakes (caesin/dairy) I stopped eating massive amounts of oranges. I just don't get it. Those are the only differences between now a few weeks ago when I was almost completely clear.

So could proteinshakes have contributed or just the hormonal factors relating to lifting weight, had a hormone rebound and now my Testosterone is back up? I'm clueless, perhaps there is no rhyme or reason to it.

p.s- I eat alot but I eat very clean. No processed foods. MY diet is nearly strictly brown rice, nuts, Broccli and greenbeans/ chicken/ tuna/ mandrin oranges, only drink water, No dairy. Multivitamin every mourning+5 flax seed tablets, 4 "colon clense" fiber tablets every night before bed. (MY BREAKOUTS CAME AT THE SAME TIME I STARTED EATING THOSE COLON CLENSES/MULTIVITAMIN.

My skin was almost 100% clear so I got excited and tried to research ways to take it to the next step and get 100% clear so I read the thread about "diet to eliminate acne" I followed that except for the whole "probiotic pills" I bought some but I havn't taken them yet. Maybe those stupid fiber tabs are breaking me out

Last edited by Skigomaniac; 09-14-2005 at 10:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
(male)

ConstantineX HB User
Re: Which foods cause acne, Once and for all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skigomaniac
So, starting about three weeks ago and up untill this week my skin was 99% clear, the clearest it's been since I was 12. I'm 22 years old now. As soon as I stopped lifting weights my skin cleared up and I have continued not to lift but my acne's coming back. I can see lots of bumps under my skin again and 5 or so pimples. So I tried to figure it out, what could have been causing the acne or the lack thereof? Well I started eating 5 flax seed oils every morning when my acne cleared up, but I'm still eating them and I'm breaking out again. Hmm I stopped drinking my protein shakes (caesin/dairy) I stopped eating massive amounts of oranges. I just don't get it. Those are the only differences between now a few weeks ago when I was almost completely clear.

So could proteinshakes have contributed or just the hormonal factors relating to lifting weight, had a hormone rebound and now my Testosterone is back up? I'm clueless, perhaps there is no rhyme or reason to it.

p.s- I eat alot but I eat very clean. No processed foods. MY diet is nearly strictly brown rice, nuts, Broccli and greenbeans/ chicken/ tuna/ mandrin oranges, only drink water, No dairy. Multivitamin every mourning+5 flax seed tablets, 4 "colon clense" fiber tablets every night before bed. (MY BREAKOUTS CAME AT THE SAME TIME I STARTED EATING THOSE COLON CLENSES/MULTIVITAMIN.

My skin was almost 100% clear so I got excited and tried to research ways to take it to the next step and get 100% clear so I read the thread about "diet to eliminate acne" I followed that except for the whole "probiotic pills" I bought some but I havn't taken them yet. Maybe those stupid fiber tabs are breaking me out

Anything high in sugar can easily cause breakouts, hence pepsi for example 41 grams of sugar!, I usually drink stuff under 14 grams and under plus water, it helps,

I also take colon clease, multivitamin, Niacin B3, since then I break out 1 once a month but not as bad.

My diet includes yogurt, alot and alot of meat tacos, chicken, hot dogs little junk food here and there and wouldn't break out from them as long as I kept drinking water.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

Well all I drink is water, nothing else. I don't eat junk food, and I still breakout. I'm begining to think this whole "doet causes acne" is B.S. I know 50 people who eat/drink complete garbage all day and they have nice skin.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #4
(male)

omega47 HB User

well everybody is different. I definitely brakeout when i eat junk food. my friends can eat anything they want and they have clear skin. i just don't get it. we are just cursed with acne. nothing else to say.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
(male)

tata77 HB User

there are many forums that answer this question. It has to deal with how each individual's internal body handles the food we intake. Some react to it whereas others don't. I don't know enough to explain it but you guys can read up on it. SweetJade knows a lot about that stuff too. Anyway let those pppl eat all the crap they want..They are just messin up themselves anyway. We may have a little physical appearance problem, but they are way worse internally trust me.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

I may have a theory, My acne came about just as I stopped taking hydrocodone for pain, when I was on the hydro's perhaps I had less stress which combined with the stopping of "bulking" and lifitng weights caused my Testosterone to drop or something. Now that I have a slight withdrawl from stopping the drugs (no way would I take those to manage pain forever) my acne came back. Hopefully once this is over my body levels itself out and my acne hits the road

Old 09-15-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skigomaniac
Well all I drink is water, nothing else. I don't eat junk food, and I still breakout. I'm begining to think this whole "doet causes acne" is B.S. I know 50 people who eat/drink complete garbage all day and they have nice skin.
That is so easily explainable: they are not susceptible to get acne.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #8
(female)

CherryroseQT HB User

Why do you take those fiber pills? Why not jut eat foods (fruit) high in fiber? In my opinion it is unhealthy to take those pills all the time. It "cleanses" all good and bad bacteria. Maybe you killed the properties in your digestive system that helps to breakdown waste... and it's causing you a break-out? (just a theory!). With your healthy diet and the amount of water you drink.. your colon should be gorgeous! I'd discontinue those supplements. No supplements will replace eating a diverse healthy diet. Apples always help me poop Plus if you eat them with peanut butter they are protein rich. Good luck and I hope your acne gets better!

Last edited by CherryroseQT; 09-16-2005 at 10:05 AM.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:39 PM   #9
(female)

ProudVegan HB User

You should keep an acne diary.. that not only list the foods you eat, but includes your daily activites, stress levels, products use on your face. See if you can distinguish what could be the cause of your breakouts.

I do agree that sugar can cause breakouts.. but everyone is different.

Goodluck.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:40 PM   #10
(female)

ProudVegan HB User

people who eat junk food all day and never break out.. may not be susceptible to acne but they could be taking birth control pills or anti biotic for skin infections.. even accutane... so dont judge them based on their eating habits.

Old 09-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #11
(female)

cuspofgemini HB User

I am 43 years old and have had acne since I was 12. I have tried EVERYTHING available for treating my acne icluding regular micro-dermabrasions in addition to one course of Accutane. At my age, I still experience breakouts. After 31 years of dealing with this, I started keeping track of the foods I eat to try to minimze my breakouts. This is what I have found to be major causes of breakouts..I try to stay away from all fried foods, NO fast food, no oranges, no tangerines (too much citrus), no pomagranites, no pineapples, no nuts of any kind, (they contain oil and fat), no salt water seafood, fish, shrimp, etc. and most important..................NO SUGAR of ANY kind. It's been very difficult but I must say that my breakouts are fewer and far between. If I am craving something sweet, I will indulge in the sugar free varieties of chocolate or just stick to FRESH fruit. Red grapes are delicious and a major anti-oxidant. I also read the labels of everything I consume. Stay away from corn syrups, fructose and peservatives. These can also have a negative reation to your skin. Everybody's system is different but this is what works for me. I also drink WATER only. No juices, milk, (milk is HIGH in sugar), diet soda, etc. However, I am guilty of having an occasional glass of wine at times.
GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-18-2005, 01:48 PM   #12
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

Cutting all those things out is just unreasonable and probably unhealthy. You need oils and fats, you need carbohydrates, fish are also a good "lean meat source" I just don't think acne is worth the diet that comes along with it. I've heard just about everything from one person or another "causes" acne. Fruits and nuts are good for you I'm told. I just don't know what to think anymore. Letting acne completely rule your life is just horrible. It's not a life threatening illness, it's vanity. Not eating well or enjoyably, not partaking in certain activities because they might "clog your pores". I mean when is enough, enough?

Old 09-18-2005, 03:36 PM   #13
(female)

cuspofgemini HB User

skig..............
This diet works for me. Like it or not, acne does and will completely rule my life if after eating certain foods, I can wake up with 10 new under the skin cysts that can last up to 6 weeks. For me, the handful of peanuts, the shrimp dinner or the chocolate candy bar I enjoyed for a few minutes is NOT worth having people starring at me like I'm a freak or have children ask me, "what are those things on your face?" At 43 years old, it makes me want to become a hermit. I'm not too sure if you have mild or severe acne but I can assure you that if you found something that keeps your breakouts to a bare minimum, you certainly would learn to enjoy "other" foods that won't make you look like a freak for weeks to come. I have pitting on my face due to many years of acne. I have tried many things to get rid of the scarring to no prevail. My last boyfriend actually asked me, "what is that on your face?" He thought I was a burn victim, I wanted to DIE! I eat PLENTY of fruits, up to 9 servings per day. I don't seem to have a problem with natural sugar, it's just the processed sugar that tends to give me those long lasting cysts. I get pleanty of lean protein, mostly from chicken, I stick to low carb breads and eat lots of salad. I also take daily supplements that will give me MOST of the nutrients I need. I am not telling everyone to change thier diets, just sharing my past experiences and what has worked for me.
Good luck to you!

Old 09-18-2005, 05:39 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

stojack HB User

hi cuspofgemini, I have a question for you about your diet. I'm trying to adopt many of the suggestions of Perricone and the zone diet to control insulin levels. He suggests nuts as a good option, I'm wondering if you know you have a reaction to all nuts or certain ones. I'm eating lots of nuts right now and I'm not sure if I should cut them out. I keep hearing mixed reviews on nuts for acne sufferers. Just interested in hearing your experience. Also, do you drink coffee or did you give that up too? I am hoping coffee was a trigger for me because I'm giving it up regardless for total health purposes. thanks, marianne

Old 09-18-2005, 05:51 PM   #15
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

So citrus is bad but natural sugar isnt? Whats the problem citric acid? I love oranges

Closed Thread