It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 157
skyguy HB User
To all who have improved acne due to diet

I have improved my diet recently. I have noticed that my face is improving, butmy body is definitely lagging behind. I have horrible body acne, worse than my face actually, and I am wondering if it is normal for the body to take longer than the face to respond to dietary changes. I guess I am just looking for encouragement to stay the course on the healthy diet thing.

Last edited by skyguy; 09-21-2005 at 09:05 PM.

 
Old 09-22-2005, 04:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: england
Posts: 770
scouselad1974 HB User
Re: To all who have improved acne due to diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy
I have improved my diet recently. I have noticed that my face is improving, butmy body is definitely lagging behind. I have horrible body acne, worse than my face actually, and I am wondering if it is normal for the body to take longer than the face to respond to dietary changes. I guess I am just looking for encouragement to stay the course on the healthy diet thing.
Hi,
I've started a new routine this week of healthy eating etc and so far i'm really enjoying trying lot's of new things.
As i've suffered with skin problems for around ten years i have decided to see if i can help my problems from the inside.
Im totally cutting out whitebread and sticking to wholegrain, i'm having probiotic yoghurts along with fruit for my breakfast and basically just trying to eat as healthily as i can afford, i will alow myself treats though cos theres no point otherwise lol.
I'll let you knowhowi getonin thecoming weeks.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 849
SweetJade1 HB User
Re: To all who have improved acne due to diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy
I have improved my diet recently. I have noticed that my face is improving, butmy body is definitely lagging behind. I have horrible body acne, worse than my face actually, and I am wondering if it is normal for the body to take longer than the face to respond to dietary changes. I guess I am just looking for encouragement to stay the course on the healthy diet thing.

Hmm, I got rid of most of my body acne with the same diet that helped my face. While my skin shows signs of me "cheating" more often than my body does (very rare), if I consume Corn Syrup or High Fructose Corn Syrup or Nuts I will see an increase in not just body acne, but usually cystic acne on my body. Are you avoiding these ingredients? What about dairy? What about wheat? Consume much trans fats?

I definately wouldn't give up because you ARE seeing results for you face, so the question is, what else can you do to help your skin? What is your current diet like? Do you exercise? Did you ever take antibiotics specifically to treat acne, and if so, how long were you taking them? Does acne run in your family? Are their any health problems or hormonal disorders that you have or your family that are also associated with the possibility of acne as symptom? Of course, what are you washing your body with?

Best wishes

Last edited by SweetJade1; 09-22-2005 at 08:07 AM.

 
Old 09-22-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 157
skyguy HB User
Re: To all who have improved acne due to diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJade1
Hmm, I got rid of most of my body acne with the same diet that helped my face. While my skin shows signs of me "cheating" more often than my body does (very rare), if I consume Corn Syrup or High Fructose Corn Syrup or Nuts I will see an increase in not just body acne, but usually cystic acne on my body. Are you avoiding these ingredients? What about dairy? What about wheat? Consume much trans fats?

I definately wouldn't give up because you ARE seeing results for you face, so the question is, what else can you do to help your skin? What is your current diet like? Do you exercise? Did you ever take antibiotics specifically to treat acne, and if so, how long were you taking them? Does acne run in your family? Are their any health problems or hormonal disorders that you have or your family that are also associated with the possibility of acne as symptom? Of course, what are you washing your body with?

Best wishes
I am not good at sticking to a 100% clean diet, but I am definitely doing better. I splurge often enough that I know it hinders progress significantly, but as far as my "regular" diet goes, I eat mostly egg whites, whole hard boiled eggs, steel cut oats with ground flax seeds, barley, rice occasionally(it's rice that still has what I think is the shell still on, and it's all brown and black, not white), cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, green and red peppers, celery, avocados, apples, kiwi, onions, almonds and brazil nuts, salmon, sardines, beef, yogurt(plain organic full fat), and whey protein sometimes. That's pretty much all that makes up my normal diet. Most days include something they shouldn't though, like a beer, or a few chocolate/caramel candies, or some marshmallows. Some days I'll just splurge by eating too much of my normal foods. All that is to say, I still have some disciplining of myself to do.

I do exercise. I am pretty fit and relatively muscular. 6'1" and about 180-185 lbs. My body acne got a lot worse early this year when I was drinking post-workout shakes with two scoops of whey protein, with frozen berries and too much ice cream. My diet also wasn't as clean then. Sucks to have a decent body only to have it ruined by acne.

Never have taken antibiotics. Have taken some prescription cremes, but that was over 8 years ago(I'm 23 now). I don't want to take anything, as I know that is not a real solution. All my brothers had/have acne to some extent, but body wise, I have the worst by far. Parents of course didn't have acne, because they grew up in a time when the american diet was much better.

I wash my body with soap and a sponge made from a gourd specially processed to yield a stringy sponge type object. The soap does not have any crazy ingredients in it.

I am so inconsistent in all the things I have mentioned above though, that I can't blame any one thing for acne yet. I have just reached the point now where I HAVE to clean up my diet, or I will go crazy. I no longer have the freedom to be a regular splurger.

 
Old 09-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 18
TeachMeMore HB User
Re: To all who have improved acne due to diet

This helped me and coincidentally, is similar to the South Beach diet, which is similar to diet cancer patients are put on.
BREAD: toasted, whole grains
CHEESE: Initially, eliminate and then work up to melted only then you can cheat once your body adjusts.
VEGETABLES! VEGETABLES! VEGETABLES! Each them like crazy! Be careful with avocados and the such because of the oil. I know I can feel that it weighs my body down anyway.
FRUIT: Minimal. Be careful because it converts to sugar.
SUGAR: Nope. Watch for it in sauces and drinks.
DRINK ICED TEA.
VITAMINS: I take "Special Two" sold by Now. It really helps to control and then eliminate the acne. I don't have to take it everyday anymore and one half and sometimes a fourth of suggested dosage. I try to listen to my body.
WINE! Red, not white.

 
Old 09-22-2005, 04:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 157
skyguy HB User
Re: To all who have improved acne due to diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachMeMore
This helped me and coincidentally, is similar to the South Beach diet, which is similar to diet cancer patients are put on.
BREAD: toasted, whole grains
CHEESE: Initially, eliminate and then work up to melted only then you can cheat once your body adjusts.
VEGETABLES! VEGETABLES! VEGETABLES! Each them like crazy! Be careful with avocados and the such because of the oil. I know I can feel that it weighs my body down anyway.
FRUIT: Minimal. Be careful because it converts to sugar.
SUGAR: Nope. Watch for it in sauces and drinks.
DRINK ICED TEA.
VITAMINS: I take "Special Two" sold by Now. It really helps to control and then eliminate the acne. I don't have to take it everyday anymore and one half and sometimes a fourth of suggested dosage. I try to listen to my body.
WINE! Red, not white.
It seems you left out a lot of details. Water I think would be better than any other liquid.

 
Old 09-22-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 849
SweetJade1 HB User
Re: To all who have improved acne due to diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy
I am not good at sticking to a 100% clean diet, but I am definitely doing better. I splurge often enough that I know it hinders progress significantly, but as far as my "regular" diet goes, I eat mostly egg whites, whole hard boiled eggs, steel cut oats with ground flax seeds, barley, rice occasionally(it's rice that still has what I think is the shell still on, and it's all brown and black, not white), cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, green and red peppers, celery, avocados, apples, kiwi, onions, almonds and brazil nuts, salmon, sardines, beef, yogurt(plain organic full fat), and whey protein sometimes. That's pretty much all that makes up my normal diet. Most days include something they shouldn't though, like a beer, or a few chocolate/caramel candies, or some marshmallows. Some days I'll just splurge by eating too much of my normal foods. All that is to say, I still have some disciplining of myself to do.

I do exercise. I am pretty fit and relatively muscular. 6'1" and about 180-185 lbs. My body acne got a lot worse early this year when I was drinking post-workout shakes with two scoops of whey protein, with frozen berries and too much ice cream. My diet also wasn't as clean then. Sucks to have a decent body only to have it ruined by acne.

Never have taken antibiotics. Have taken some prescription cremes, but that was over 8 years ago(I'm 23 now). I don't want to take anything, as I know that is not a real solution. All my brothers had/have acne to some extent, but body wise, I have the worst by far. Parents of course didn't have acne, because they grew up in a time when the american diet was much better.

I wash my body with soap and a sponge made from a gourd specially processed to yield a stringy sponge type object. The soap does not have any crazy ingredients in it.

I am so inconsistent in all the things I have mentioned above though, that I can't blame any one thing for acne yet. I have just reached the point now where I HAVE to clean up my diet, or I will go crazy. I no longer have the freedom to be a regular splurger.
LOL, unfortunately that can happen. Splurging with the wrong foods (of the unfavorable foods for you) can lead to cystic acne, while other splurges may lead to only a few whiteheads or pustules. So you definately want to learn which types of foods do so, so that you can make better decisions in that area, if you choose to. As for your body acne, I think that you know it may indeed have something to do with your post-workout shakes, since it did INCREASE when you started these, right? If that's the case can you stop taking the shakes (what type of protein) and whey protein for at least 1 month to see if your body acne improves? If it does, you can always try hemp and/or brown rice protein to help you out in the protein dept. It may not give as much, but perhaps it will things easier for you.

Take care

 
Old 09-24-2005, 06:19 AM   #8
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 157
skyguy HB User
Re: To all who have improved acne due to diet

I actually stopped the shakes with the ice cream more than a month ago. Have only had a few servings of the whey protein since then.

Should I get rid of nuts too?

 
Old 09-24-2005, 07:03 AM   #9
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 30
ClassicGamer HB User
Re: To all who have improved acne due to diet

I eliminated basically ALL processed carbohydrate. No more breads and cereals (which for most of my life consisted of probably 1/3 of my daily diet) and I minimize fruit to those that don't cause reactions (I eat a little cantaloupe and a banana each day with no problems). For the most part the only other sources of carbohydrate I consume are potatoes and rices.
The interesting thing I noticed is that when I stopped eating bread I stopped breaking out in pustules on my lips - and it took years to realize that it was the cause (those things hurt like an SOB!). I'm a 37 y.o. male.

 
Old 09-24-2005, 04:09 PM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 18
TeachMeMore HB User
Re: To all who have improved acne due to diet

Hey, just trying to help by sharing my own experience. I've eliminated by problems following simple rules; the logic being committing to a basic set of rules, increases your chances of success. Please feel free to perform your own research on the two diets for further details and criteria to tell you what to do.

 
Old 09-24-2005, 07:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 103
hybridelements HB User
Re: To all who have improved acne due to diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGamer
I eliminated basically ALL processed carbohydrate. No more breads and cereals (which for most of my life consisted of probably 1/3 of my daily diet) and I minimize fruit to those that don't cause reactions (I eat a little cantaloupe and a banana each day with no problems). For the most part the only other sources of carbohydrate I consume are potatoes and rices.
The interesting thing I noticed is that when I stopped eating bread I stopped breaking out in pustules on my lips - and it took years to realize that it was the cause (those things hurt like an SOB!). I'm a 37 y.o. male.


hey, the bread stuff applies to me too! i stopped eating it and got a bit better.. haha

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Cystic Acne Hormonal Charlottef23 Acne 4 04-23-2010 07:32 PM
Hirsutism/acne/oily skin/excess hair Janet in Texas Acne 80 05-16-2006 09:59 PM
nonbelievers & believers of diet/acne connection idealist Acne 49 04-22-2006 08:39 PM
Proper Diet to reduce acne? Broken_Inside Acne 5 02-07-2006 09:30 AM
Sugar-acne is true? Zenfish Acne 110 10-23-2005 02:25 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Accutane
Aspirin
Benzoyl
Clindamycin
Differin
  Accutane
Aspirin
Benzoyl
Clindamycin
Differin







All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:59 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use 1998-2014 HealthBoards.com All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!