It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User
starting accutane- journal

DAY 8

Well i started Accutane last monday....so that this the 8th day I would take a pill. No improvements so far, infact i think its worse I'll give a background of my situation. My acne ( only on the face) started in 6th grade when it was just puberty and all that fun stuff of being a girl. I had perfect skin in 10th and 11th grade before the end of high school when it was HORRIBLE!! It was all of the sudden...and it realllllly affected my emotions....im sure some of you can understand!! We'll I have been on every oral antibiotic and pretty much every topical...with no help really in the long run. I have done ClearLight ( dont do it , its a waste of $!! ) and smoothbeam...which i LOVED and made my skin wonderful again for about 8 months then right when i go back to college BAM its all back with a force. It's so hard to be what seems the only one on campus with a problem. Soooo I was put on accutane, and hope this works for good!!! So far I dont have chapped lips, my skin is a little dryer but still is oily, which is gross because its like half and half, and i swear i have pimples all equaly over my chin and cheeks now( it was mostly around the smile line area and chin/jaw before) . Mostly they are like smaller dry yet still there type that you want to get rid of but you can because ive read on here popping anything on accutane is much much worse! By the way it started ( my skin was nearly perfect until about 1 1/2 months ago ) when i started taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen LO , then my skin became horrible again! My dr switched me to just Otho Tri Cyclen and am half way done with my 1st month with that ... for a total of 1 1/2 months on BC.....so i have a feeling the birth control may have triggered the acne again, and know that it takes 2-3 months to regulate and adjust so i hope that happens soon! any girls have this problem with birth control??

My Daily Routine:
AM-
Wash: cetaphil gentle wash
Shampoo: Biotin infused shampoo and Neutragena Conditioner ( heard you can have a little hair loss, so i hope the Biotin helps!)
Birth Control ( Ortho Tri-Cyclen)

PM-
Wash w/ cetaphil , apply a little Nelsons Tea tree oil acne gel if i feel the need
Take accutane pill ( dose of 40mg for now) with dinner

Please respond! I'd love to share details/get stories from others on accutane!! Good luck to all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User
Re: starting accutane- journal

Well the dry skin has kicked in!! Quite itchy in fact- anyone know how long this lasts? Im using cetaphil moisturizer....hope it helps!

Old 10-25-2005, 05:12 AM   #3
(female)

hybridelements HB User

woo..new journal..

i saw ur comment at mine.. well i'm crossing out banana from my diet cos it contains a high concentration of sugar and sugar will cause acne cos of some reaction with the hormones.. and bread, i think it's the same too.. some ppl also avoid dairy products like milk,but i'm sticking to it anyway.. my skin has improved a little since the lst pill, it's not oily anymore and some pimples i had b4 the medicine has cleared. but my pores certainly look bigger.. abt the depression stuff, well,it's not becos of acne but due to some other stuff, but acne has certainly made it worse.. it sucks.

the itchiness will last for maybe one more week.. when some of the whiteheads or junk in ur skin gets out and also,when ur skin gets used to the dryness,i think it'll be better. at least for me,it's the case.. cetaphil's great for the dryness.. are ur lips dry? get a lipbalm..mine is peeling like ****.. oh yeah,im only on a 20mg dose now, but hopefully it'll be increased tommorrow when i'll be seeing the derm again..(one mth's up) by the way, can i get the biotin shampoo at pharmacies? i've noticed some hair loss now.. =/

Old 10-25-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

Hi there!

Thanks for responding! So far my lips are not dry, but i put lip balm and lip gloss on 24/7 so maybe thats why...i havent given them a chance to dry out! As far as my skin on my face goes though.......its like desert Mostly around the nose and mouth, and its itchy like crazy! I sure hope it last only a week more lol, but ill be using moisturizer a lot more than usual i have a feeling. I bought Biotin shamoo at my local health food store, but I have seen it at my grocery store too....I bought Jason Biotin Shampoo ( they have conditioner too) and I love it so far. I have a ton of hair and wasnt tooooo worried about it but i got it just in case!! Its not too expensive for a natural shampoo- i got it for 6.50. Also, has anyone had their acne spread while on accutane?? Mine was stricly on my cheeks/jaw area and chin....now i have some on my neck ( like 3-4 small spots) lol i dont want it there!!

Update day 9 *

Dry, Dry, Dryyy!! lol I was using a Beta scrub ( even my derm said ok to it on accutane ) but i think it started to irritate my skin so cetaphil is going to be all i use...even though it doesnt feel very ''cleansing'' so far...

No other side effects so far... im hoping the breakout i had about 2-3 days ago was my initial breakout and i got it early on! That seems to be drying up and hopefully will go away soon!

Good luck to everyone on accutane

Old 10-25-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

Initial breakout * hopefully it was * seems to be decreasing a bit. All the pimples i have are somewhat still there, but are dry on top and seem to be drying up quickly. Ooh how i wish 5 months went faster

Old 10-25-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
(female)

hybridelements HB User

i'll be off to the derm in a few hours' time..i'll go look for the shampoo on the way there =)

yup, my acne has spread a little too.. i think u should be done with the intial breakout soon, when the pimples totally dry off and fall out...

Old 10-25-2005, 10:06 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

I sure hope the initial breakout is over soon! Good luck at your derm tomorrow!

I'll update tomorrow.....nothing new except a little less dry ( thanks to cetaphil i think! )

night all *

Old 10-26-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

Day 10

Well this morning seems to be better. I have learned when I dont have to , to not look at myself so I dont get upset, and when i went to shower this morning it felt a lot better ( when washing ) yay maybe there is hope lol. I noticed one or 2 maybe came out overnight, has anyone had this happen? And also, there seems to be almost like ''plugs'' coming out on my chin/nose. ( sry i know that sounds gross) ..... again, anyone have this before???

I'm Just glad im in the double digits now!

Old 10-26-2005, 12:46 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

Also, I was just wondering if anyone knows if Accutane helps get rid of marks from acne over time.....I have some ( just discoloration ) on my cheeks mostly. and the last time i had this kind of breakout/spots i went tanning and put spf on the spots until my face was the same color...lol i know thats not healthy, but i was desparate!! so, anyone know if it will help fade them, or is there something to use to help them fade quicker?? they bug me about as my as the acne itself!

thanks

Old 10-27-2005, 02:07 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

Day 11

Not much new! No dry lips at allll, skin is less oilier than normal which is nice, and 90% of the pimples i had ( from initial breakout...at least i think/hope it was) and from before seem to have come to a head(?) and are all drying up and going away mostly. If only they didnt leave lovely little reminders they had been there. ( spots kinda of ) I have heard aloe vera can be good to speed along discoloration, anyone know of this?

Old 10-27-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

By the way, hybridelements, how did your derm appt go? Did they up your dose? Hope all is going well

Old 10-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #12
(male)

california1 HB User

hey lexla, neosporin can help speed up the healing of old marks. it has for me, its worth a try.

hope youre doing well on the meds

Old 10-27-2005, 11:11 PM   #13
(female)

hybridelements HB User

my appt was alright.. they upped my dose from 20 to 30.. but the price increased a lot.. however, they didnt do any blood test, the test will only be on december..
the 'plugs' on ur face will fall out soon,bear with it and dont touch it.. =)

Old 10-28-2005, 04:12 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

day 12

not much new itchy, dry pimples from initial breakout. i hope this means they will go away in the next few days. to be honest i have not looked at myself up close in about 5 days. lol im just afraid no dry lips, im worried my dose may not be high enough ( 40 mg right now, im 118 lbs) but maybe i just have moist lips. Also, i had been using cetaphil gentle wash and my mom went to buy it again and bought cetaphil daily facial cleanser...it smells nice, but is this one not as good for the skin?

well, ill continue to update, let me know how everyone is doing!

Old 10-29-2005, 05:10 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

day 13

everythings going pretty well! its the first '' good '' day in awhile. The acne i had in my chin/mouth area has seemed to dry up nicely, not red or anything. I have one larger ... not cyst....but just infected under the side of my mouth that seems like it will go away soon. As for the rest of my face...my cheeks were the other part of my problem...and those too seem better, with about 3 on my right side drying up and one active and 2 drying on the left. My ''new'' problem from what i assume was the initial breakout was along/right under my jaw and things that i would call '' plugs'' coming out. The jaw/under jaw pimples seem to be drying out pretty well and but those darn clogged pores coming out are still there....more noticable when i wash bc you can deff. feel those.

At least things are getting better!

Closed Thread