It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

luvsun24 HB User
Unhappy Acne and over 40

I am 42 years old. I've always had a pimple here or there, but generally have decent skin...that is, until now. Since I turned 40, it has been a battle. The breakouts I get do not resolve. They just sit on my face. They never come to a head and the creams I try just make them red and irritated. To get them to resolve, I have to poke and prod, which results in a scab and then finally it clears. I have tried antibiotics, which sort of worked until I stopped using them and then a huge explosion of acne resulted. I have tried Finacea cream, Retin-A, triaz (benzoil peroxide), salicylic acid, birth control pills (Estro-step) and spironolactone. I will say that most of the creams really irritated my skin, which sometimes tends to be dry. The spironolactone worked like a miracle for a few months and now it has ceased to be effective. I have been trying the clear skin diet (not really helping) and am taking all kinds of herbals (burdock, soy pills, salmon oil, B-complex (for stress), Vitamin E and C (antioxidants).

In addition to the acne, I feel that I get over-stressed very easily. Traffic, carpools, kids, homework...etc... I really feel tense. The clearest my skin has ever been was when I was on bc pills and prozac (which controlled my stress level). I took the prozac for seasonal affective disorder when I lived in a cold, gray place. Now that I'm in the sunny south, I do not get depressed. I really don't like taking meds like prozac if I don't have to.

My thinking is that as I have aged, maybe my estrogen level is dipping, which makes my testoterone level to seem higher than before. Maybe that is why I get so stressed and tense. Perhaps the stress created by the hormone imbalance is the cause of my acne. Has anyone else experienced this? What will help? I'm desperate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
(female)

MediaGal HB User
Re: Acne and over 40

Read my post about Plantidote and all of my and other posters advice using Origins products. It's made a huge difference. I am comfortably over 40, have you beat by a few years

Old 10-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
(female)

luvsun24 HB User
Re: Acne and over 40

Thank you Media Gal. I had recently heard about an Origins product that has a mushroom base, developed by Dr. Weil. Is this it? Anyway, Dr. Perricone, author of The Clear Skin Diet states that mushrooms are an anti-inflammatory food and are good for acne. I am heading to an Origins counter ASAP! Thanks again for the tip.

Closed Thread