It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

Jasmine07 HB User
this is the only thing that works for me...unfortunately :(

i've been suffering from acne since i was 12 (i'm 20 now). like most of you i have tried many otc medications with little results. a couple of years ago i started tanning indoor, once every week or two, on the weakest beds. my acne started to improve, though i had no clue that tanning had anything to do with it; i simply thought i was getting older and growing out of the acne stage. now, two years later and after hearing over and over how bad tanning is for you, i decided to stop going. well, within two weeks my acne got OUT OF CONTROL. at first it didn't occur to me that it was because i had stopped tanning, but i did some research and found out that tanning does help with acne. i didn't tan for 2 months and my face was unmanageable during that time. zits EVERYWHERE (and they were the painful cysts!). finally i couldn't take it anymore and i went to the tanning salon. after two sessions pretty much all the zits are gone, which is great, but i know that it is not a good solution to the acne problem. has anyone had a similar situation? what did you do? maybe tanning in moderation isn't that bad for you? any help would be appreciated!

Old 10-31-2005, 04:53 AM   #2
(male)

omega47 HB User
Re: this is the only thing that works for me...unfortunately :(

hmm i don't think it's a good idea because i hear tanning while having acne can seriously damage the skin easier and increase the risk of skin cancer. << not sure if it's true but that's what iv'e read on some forums.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

yep i know what your talking about. i had minor acne problems ( a few here and there ) back when i was 16/17 ( im 20 now also) and went tanning just bc i got a coupon...and within a few days of it i was tan and acne free! i was soooo happy. unfortunatly i became quite dependant on it, and ignored all the warnings. of course my derm would always say its bad, but the nurse there always told me just do it a little here and there becuase the UVB rays were good and can be helpful in some cases. I notice in the summer when i tan my acne goes away. Now that its fall....lol my skin is not so great again and im on accutane. My advice is go with what you feel....while i know how bad it is and can be in years, i also know what you are talking about and how much we want an '' instant fix'' . good luck

Old 10-31-2005, 10:10 AM   #4

MelloVball HB User

Yeah, I agree completely. I noticed the same before too. My esthetician yells at me for doing it because it dries out your skin. So I think maybe that's the key. The way I looked at it (which I know is wrong) but when I look at all the chemicals and **** I used to put on my skin (and take orally) to stop the acne, tanning, is only on the same level, if not better. The way I see it, hey, whatever works. Now I feel like tanning makes me break out worse...I don't know.

Closed Thread