It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2005, 04:13 PM  
(male)

Naimis HB User
Acne caused by dairy products

At some point about 6 years ago I went on Accutane and was using various antibiotics and my acne almost completely vanished near the end of the course.

However, at some point near the end of the treatment I mysteriously developed an allergic reaction to all forms of dairy, even dairy derivatives such as sodium caseinate. If I have even a small amount of dairy (especially whey or caseinate) I will break out in acne like clock work that same evening or the following day. Dairy is a mucus forming food and it is almost as if my body is flushing it through my pores. It takes nearly a week of abstaining from any and all dairy before it clears my system and my skin returns to normal.

I did some searching recently and have read in other places where people have said that their acne was also caused by milk or dairy and that abstaining from it cleared them up (which is how I remain as long as it stays out of my diet). I only discovered that dairy was my problem after I had my tonsils removed and the doctor said to avoid all dairy products because of the mucus forming factor.

I drink almond milk and 8th Continent soy milk as a substitute for real milk. The 8th Continent is the only one I could find that tastes decent (kind of like snow cream) and the almond milk is good with cereal. Despite these substitutes it is a serious annoyance to have to avoid all dairy as it is so prevalent in just about every processed food (which means reading EVERY label).

I would really like to know if there is a solution to this. Using 10% benzoil peroxide wash daily and 2% salycilic acid Oxy pads helps to keep it under control because I never know when a slice of bread will have whey in it when I eat out.

Also, the problem hasn't been as bad lately since I started taking a probiotic complex so I am wondering if the bacteria which help me digest milk were killed off by all those anti-biotics I took.

Has anyone else experienced this with their acne being caused by dairy products?

Sorry for my post being so long winded. Just thought I'd put out the whole story right from the start.

Last edited by Naimis; 11-04-2005 at 04:16 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Naimis:
sonflower (08-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2005, 07:59 PM  
(female)

Bev92 HB User
Re: Acne caused by dairy products

Wow, you're really sensitive to dairy. But yes, dairy is definitely a known cause (or aggrivation) for acne. If you research, you'll find a lot of info on that. I'm not as sensitive to dairy as you are, but I find that if I eat something dairy (like icecream or cheese) it breaks me out within the next day or two. Same goes for grains..(bread/wheat, rice, pasta..etc). It's almost impossible to have a dairy and grain free diet but I replace milk with coconut milk, which I heard is extremely beneficial to your health, and I eat organic foods only and completely eliminate the grains along with the sugar. If you search for organic..you can find awesome replacements to regular foods and snacks and even recipes for smoothies and such, that are great for the skin. I've only started doing a strict organic diet a few days ago after researching for a long time, but even after 2 days I found that small bumps on my forehead are almost completely gone. But just a thought that might help you out..

Old 11-04-2005, 08:27 PM  
(male)

Naimis HB User

I have been on my "dairy avoidance" diet for about two years now and know a lot of foods I can eat that lack dairy products. However, almost everyone I know likes to eat something that requires a dairy product of some sort. This makes it very difficult to plan meals with family members. What's worse is that my girlfriend is deathly allergic to soy which is what I have to substitute most of my milk with so I have to go to extra trouble to ensure there isn't any residue on me after drinking or show might just swell up.

Old 11-05-2005, 09:54 PM  

summer603 HB User

I can completely relate to this topic. I used to drink milk the same way I breathe air, but I've since given that up. I had seen and read so many things about farmers injecting their cows w/ steroids, causing them to produce milk at an incredulous rate. It's been a while since I've read up on this, (so I can't give you exact numbers or percentages) but I just remember being so astonished by the information. But, anyway.. the bad thing about the steroids is the hormones are still "alive" and make it's way into our bodies, causing all kinds of wonderful things like hormone imbalances, breakouts, etc. I've noticed a big difference w/ my health in general after giving up milk. I did drink organic milk for a while, also bought that Silk Soy Milk for a time, tried almond milk, and rice milk, but nowadays I figure it is just best to stick w/ water.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:28 AM  
(male)

Naimis HB User

I am happy to report that months of eating a variety of brands of yogurt with active bacteria cultures and taking various probiotic formulas have ended my acne caused by dairy allergy and I am now able to eat as much as I want.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:35 AM  
(male)

anachron HB User

This is good news. Glad this worked!

Old 01-22-2006, 02:51 PM  
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

Man, I feel like such an ignoramus. I must be the last person on earth to learn that dairy products cause acne. Over the holidays, I ate a bunch of ice cream cake and my skin started breaking out. I just assumed it was the sugar. But after the new year, I started eating low fat cottage cheese everyday. I guess I won't be eating that anymore. Too bad, cause I really like it. It's a great source of protein. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of foods to avoid that are known causes of acne? Also, do egg whites count as dairy? I eat those daily too. This is scary. I'm going to have to go through my diet with a fine tooth comb now.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:29 PM  
(male)

Naimis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutToLunch
Man, I feel like such an ignoramus. I must be the last person on earth to learn that dairy products cause acne.
You, me, and millions of other people around the world. Don't feel bad about it.

Quote:
I guess I won't be eating that anymore. Too bad, cause I really like it.
Be careful with the withdrawal from it wholesale. I actually became more and more sensitive to outbreaks from dairy for a while after I started avoiding it. Even the slightest amount would break me out after several months of careful avoidance.

Basically I discovered that the more highly processed the dairy the more likely I was to break out. Anything, and I do mean anything, with whey or caseinate in it broke me out the worse. Whey expecially is found as a filler in many many different types of food.

Quote:
It's a great source of protein. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of foods to avoid that are known causes of acne?
I'm afraid that is a list you are going to have to build on your own. You may wish to keep a log when during the week or month you get the craving to eat dairy, when you manage to avoid doing so, and when you break out when you do or don't have it.

This may simply be a case of your body craving such sugary foods because your hormones are peaking, especially the androgen production, which is often the main source of food for the acne bacteria. If it is the case of hormones then your cravings for dairy or sugary foods and your acne breakouts could simply be caused by the same culprit rather than a cause and effect of each other.

Quote:
Also, do egg whites count as dairy? I eat those daily too. This is scary. I'm going to have to go through my diet with a fine tooth comb now.
Egg whites are great. I started supplementing with Optimum Nutrition's "100% Egg Whites" protein powder in place of whey protein. In fact, of all the egg white protein powders I have tried it tastes the best. Could almost drink it as a snack.

For the most part I drastically reduced my acne-from-dairy allergy by taking the Lee Swans0n "Signature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula" which seems to have the best profile I have ever found plus something to nourish the bacteria. If you get this, don't waste your money for more than one bottle as more than one isn't necessary.

In fact, if you do start taking them then go to the grocery store and get a selection of numerous different yogurt brands to try. Each day that you take the probiotic pill also eat some yogurt which has its own probiotic profile, plus it will further help nourish the bacteria in the probiotic pill even further.

For a few months after you have stopped taking the probiotic pill then you should continue eating yogurt with active cultures. I tried to make sure I got some yogurt from every brand to diversify the bacteria I injested as much as possible. In the end I settled on Southern Home yogurt because it also contains L. Casei bacteria to which I am guessing have helped with my processing of caseinate, a highly processed form of milk, that I couldn't tolerate in the slightest before.

Don't know if you have the same problem as myself, but be wary of yogurt that has Aspartame in it as I have found that Aspartame predictably gives me headaches.

I can still be made to breakout if I consume large quantities of dairy products so I still keep it modest. Though I wouldn't be surprised if many people would have the same reaction to eating a whole lot of dairy in any given day. What constitutes a lot probably depends on what the idividual's body in question can effectively process.

There are some generic resources on acne at Wik|pedia in case you might find them useful.

Last edited by Naimis; 01-22-2006 at 03:58 PM.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:44 PM  
(male)

Naimis HB User

I also started using the Neutrogena "At Home Microdermabrasion System" to remove dead skin build up. I found the key to this is to use it until the crystal granules dry and then continue buffing each facial area an additional 30 seconds or so. Basically it is like sand papering your face. Don't use much past two minutes on each facial area though. After I washed it off, my face was so soft and smooth. My girlfriend and mother used it and both saw good results. Make sure you shave smooth beforehand though if you are a man.

Another thing I found that helped was to use something like Oxy's "Maximum Strength Daily Cleansing Pads" which contain salicylic acid. Note that when I first started using this my acne got worse for the first week and a half before it started getting better while I waited for my skin to become tolerant of it.

Try using the Oxy pads right after thoroughly washing off the microdermabrasion crystals. Then apply a very light facial moisturizer such as the Neutrogena "Oil-Free Mousturizer for sensitive skin" which is so light it doesn't even cause me to sweat...something I tend to have a problem with for most facial moisturizers.

Again, remember that if you switch to using some particular product always give yourself at least two weeks to get over the initial reaction your skin may have to the application of any new product. I used to return a lot of stuff to the store in my past that I thought was making things worse before I found out about how the skin requires an adaptation period.

Last edited by Naimis; 01-22-2006 at 03:49 PM.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:16 PM  
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

Correct me if I'm wrong, but whey is considered a dairy-derived product, is it not? I lift weights and in order to meet my daily protein needs, I eat a whey protein bar as my pre-workout meal. Does this mean I need to cut out the protein bar as well? At this rate, I'm going to be one skinny guy since I won't be able to eat a lot of the foods I'm used to eating.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:25 PM  
(male)

Naimis HB User

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but whey is considered a dairy-derived product, is it not?
Yep, unfortunately.

I had to cut out the whey, and I do body building as well, but using egg protein works just the same. You could use 8th Continent Original Soy Milk (not the diet kind, which is yucky) as your base for mixing the egg protein in. Soy doesn't contain a complete amino acid profile but the extra calories and protein will still do you good in place of mixing the protein with milk if you were doing that in the first place.

Be careful if you have never had a soy supplement before. My girlfriend almost died when she found out the hard way that she is allergic to the isoflavones added to some soy products that aren't found in raw soy sources. Apparently a lot of people have this same allergy...enough so that soy content is highlighted on many food ingredient lists. Thankfully I didn't have this allergy as well.

I would recommend trying the the "yogurt treatment" and use of probiotics for a few months before dropping dairy altogether. It would also be a good idea to try keeping a log for about a month of when you break out and what you had been eating to make absolutely sure it is actually the dairy that is doing it. No need to make things more difficult on yourself if you don't have to.

Last edited by Naimis; 01-22-2006 at 04:30 PM.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:01 PM  
(female)

vintagedream HB User

hi all! actually, i'm not a fan of egg whites, i've READ that they contain congestive proteins that can easily clog our system.

"the primary protein in egg whites are very difficult for our body to fully break down and digest. the body sees this partially digested protein as an invader and as such causes an immune system response... and as a result, egg whites can be a major source of allergies."

"in addition to that, egg whites have a very binding, glue-like quality. in cooking, they are used to help "bind" batter together, ryt? this binding quality tends to clog and congest our system. add to that the allergy problems, and what you have is a food that is a primary culprit for acne sufferers."

personally, i advise we get our protein from cleaner sources. most foods have high protein content, and we really don't need that much protein really. of carbohydrates and fats, protein is the most "dirty" burning source of fuel for your body. we should only ingest protein for building and repair... which is far less than we are accustomed to.

arnold schwarzenegger's formula is: eat about 1 gram of protein for every two pounds of body weight.

as for dairy products, you guys are correct. dairy products (especially casein and whey protein) definitely aggravates acne.

"they are mucus-forming, clogging, congesting, allergy-forming, acid-forming, acne aggravating. it is also loaded with powerful growth hormones that could upset our delicate hormonal balance. if you eat conventional dairy products, you might as well be pouring glue in your system. in fact, casein is actually used as a base for industrial glues."

what im trying to say is, eliminating conventional dairy products and egg whites can really help reduce acne.

although, it's been too long since i've given up dairy products, but i still get acne. of course, there are a lot of other factors besides diet involved in acne. i think we could all benefit from doing an internal cleanse.

Last edited by vintagedream; 01-22-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:20 PM  
(male)

Naimis HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedream
hi all! actually, i'm not a fan of egg whites, i've READ that they contain congestive proteins that can easily clog our system.
I have read exactly the opposite. That uncooked egg whites are the easiest protein to digest and the most readily bio-available source that you could eat. The reason for this being that egg whites are a very pure protein source the chicken embryo uses to develop into a chick.

I searched the internet but regardless of the terms I used I could find no source that cites egg whites as a cause of digestive system congestion. I would be curious to know where you read this.

Quote:
"the primary protein in egg whites are very difficult for our body to fully break down and digest. the body sees this partially digested protein as an invader and as such causes an immune system response... and as a result, egg whites can be a major source of allergies."
Just about any food can be a source of allergies. As with other foods that cause allergies, such as my girlfriend and her brother's allergy to soy, only those who have such allergies need concern themselves with the avoidance of such foods.

Quote:
"in addition to that, egg whites have a very binding, glue-like quality. in cooking, they are used to help "bind" batter together, ryt? this binding quality tends to clog and congest our system. add to that the allergy problems, and what you have is a food that is a primary culprit for acne sufferers."
Egg whites only act as a binder when a certain level of heat is applied. This holds true for any coherent length of proteins as they will denature and coagulate given sufficient heat and rebind in a way that makes them less easily used by the body (but very convenient for cooking).

Here is an explanation of what happens to the egg protein...
[url]http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/568denaturation.html[/url]

However, please note that any volume of egg whites you consume on a regular basis should be avidin neutralized as avidin will bind to the important vitamin Biotin, potentially causing a deficiency.

Here is a full explanation of what happens with avidin and Biotin...
[ deleted ]

Quote:
personally, i advise we get our protein from cleaner sources. most foods have high protein content, and we really don't need that much protein really. of carbohydrates and fats, protein is the most "dirty" burning source of fuel for your body. we should only ingest protein for building and repair... which is far less than we are accustomed to.
Uncooked egg whites (powdered or liquid) are probably the cleanest source of protein that I have ever heard of with a full compliment of essential amino acids.

Here is an explanation of the function of protein in the diet and why it is important to get all 20 amino acids...
[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002467.htm[/url]

Most foods in fact are protein poor and most people do not get the daily recommended value of protein to complement their body weight. Protein is indeed a poor source of energy for your body but it is the essential building block of all the cells in your entire body. Carbohydrates are ingested to fuel your body's daily activities but you still need sufficient protein above and beyond what you body needs to maintain what it already has if you want to grow.

To find the RDA guidelines on protein requirements simply run a Google search on "rda protein needs". There are a number of good web sites explaining this.

Quote:
arnold schwarzenegger's formula is: eat about 1 gram of protein for every two pounds of body weight.
Actually, the correct conversion is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. Using a ratio of 1 gram per pound produces an incorrect value as the two units are from different measurement systems.

As 1 kilogram equals 2.2 pounds, simply divide your weight in pounds by 2.2 to get your weight in kilograms the multiply your weight in kilograms by 0.8 to get the number of grams per day you need. Body builders may need as high as 1.2 g of protein per kg of body weight.

Further explanation of this is found here...
[url]http://www.nwhealth.edu/healthyU/eatWell/protein_2.html[/url]

Last edited by Mod-S4; 01-22-2006 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Posting links to commercial webs sites is not allowed. Please read and follow the Posting Rules.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:08 PM  
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

It's true that the average person doesn't need a lot of protein. But that's because the average person has a desk job, sits in front of the TV when they're at home, and doesn't exercise. But a person who exercises on a regular basis has substantially higher protein requirements than the average person. I'm not a fitness freak, but I do exercise everyday. I'm someone who has a desk job and even though I watch what I eat, I have to exercise to keep my weight under control. Plus, there are so many health benefits that have nothing to do with weight loss. But the consequence of all this regular exercise is that I need more protein than the average person. That's why this thread is truly depressing. On a given day, I eat chicken, fish, egg whites, cottage cheese, and a whey protein bar. I'm not a bodybuilder. I'm not even trying to gain muscle. But I've learned that I need this much protein to maintain my lean muscle mass. And it's not like I'm exercising a lot. I do 60 minutes of aerobic exercise a day and lift weight 3 times a week. That's hardly extreme. In fact, every adult should be doing at least that much. But after reading this thread, I've learned that I should stop eating cottage cheese, stop eating the protein bar, and now I may even have to stop eating egg whites. This is crazy. Next you'll be telling me I can't eat chicken. I hate having acne, but if I cut out the foods you're telling me to cut out, I'll turn into a 125 pound toothpick. There's only so much chicken and fish I can eat and I'm not about to add more just to meet my daily protein requirements. Please tell me that I can still at least eat egg whites.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:26 PM  
(male)

Naimis HB User

Quote:
But after reading this thread, I've learned that I should stop eating cottage cheese, stop eating the protein bar, and now I may even have to stop eating egg whites. This is crazy. Next you'll be telling me I can't eat chicken. I hate having acne, but if I cut out the foods you're telling me to cut out, I'll turn into a 125 pound toothpick. There's only so much chicken and fish I can eat and I'm not about to add more just to meet my daily protein requirements. Please tell me that I can still at least eat egg whites.
My recommendation is to not cut anything out of your diet until you have firmly established that dairy products, egg whites, or whatever is the genuine cause of your acne. You may in fact not need to cut out dairy. It could all be a coincidence with another cause. See the part of my previous posts about keeping a personal log.

During the two year time that I was restricting dairy from my diet I did fine getting the exact same amount of protein from egg whites (and still do). Just remember that if you go that route they must be avidin neutralized or else you could cause yourself nutritional harm. Most egg white supplements are avidin neutralized.

You might also try backing yourself down from dairy, but not altogether. I found that simple milk did very little to affect my breakouts during this time of my allergy. Good thing, too, cause I love to have a nice latte or cappaccino once in a while.

Although I still drink soy milk with my egg protein I do it purely because of health benefits to the prostate and prevention of male pattern baldness. In fact, my brother who is the spitting image of me is five years younger and is already starting to go bald whereas I haven't lost a single hair. I attribute this to my regular consumption of soy which I only incidently started because of my awareness of this previous allergy to dairy.