It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 04:52 AM   #1
(female)

giiiii21 HB User
Question **using VITAMIN A to cure acne**

Has anyone used high dose of Vitamin A to cure acne (50000UI or 25000UI)?? Did you get an initial breakout?? and how long did you use it for? ALSO i used vitamin A for 2 weeks and i want to go on accutane. Is this safe??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

amy2705 HB User
Re: **using VITAMIN A to cure acne**

You can still go on accutane, but you're not supposed to take any additional vitamin A at the same time (they even limit foods that are high in vitam a). So, if you're going on accutane, stop with any other sources of vitamin A.

Also - I'm not sure that it's safe to take such high does of vitamin A. It is super hard on your liver. It's fat soluble, so it stores up in your system. It's not like a water soluble vitamin (like vitamin C) so you can't just "flush" it out. Continued high does can build up and cause toxicity.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
(male)

Ratman HB User

Hmmm, I've been taking 75,000IU's of vitamin A every day since May and I haven't died yet. So I guess it's not that bad. I don't even feel any of the same effects that I did while on Accutane (headaches, joint aches, depression, dryness).

All I know is that I started taking the vitamin A and Nature's cure at the same exact time and my acne has been getting progressively better since. Right now my face is in the best condition it's been in since I was 12 and I am now 21. BUT, it could also mean that I'm just growing out of acne. The vitamin A and Nature's Cure might have nothing to do with it. I'm not about to stop taking them to test it out.

Saw my reflection and cried
So little hope that I died

Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
Inactive

plymouth HB User

Do not use more than 100,000 IU per day for more than two weeks except under the supervision of a doctor. High doses are a risk for liver damage.

Recent studies link vitamin A to osteoporosis when used long term at doses over 10,000 IU per day.

Last edited by plymouth; 11-10-2005 at 05:20 AM. Reason: typo

Old 11-10-2005, 01:42 AM   #5
(female)

giiiii21 HB User

Thanks for you replies!! =)

After 1 week of taking vitamin A (25000UI) my skin got an initial breakout i don't know if its from vitamin A but i got it in places where i don't normally get acne!!~ Did you guys experience this too??

Old 11-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
(male)

Ratman HB User

I don't think I remember an initial breakout. All I remember is the acne on my neck, which was the worst place, cleared up really quickly. I haven't had a problem with my neck since. And I used to have one patch on my neck that ALWAYS had a few cystic zits. I still break out, but it's not as often and not as bad. I have 3 kinda crappy looking ones on my face right now, but that's better than having a million all over my face, neck, back, and chest. Like I said, not sure if it's he Vitamin A, Nature's Cure, or just time that's helping my acne.

As far as toxicity........hmmm. Well, I'm concerned. But I think I enjoy having a clearer face, less depression, more self respect, and my new found ability to talk to girls more than I like my liver. I'd rather have my liver kick the bucket at some point than spend my entire youth pent up in my house and ****** off at the world. But that's a personal decision. Plus, it can't be any worse than Accutane. I heard that Accutane is equivalent to 500,000IU's of Vitamin A, and I took that for 7 months.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
(female)

giiiii21 HB User

Thanks for your reply =)

Yes i agree with you on the concerns of the liver part! But still its depressing to have acnee and get all anti-social because of it!! so i rather my acne clear too haha!

Going on accutane did it help??

Thanks~~

Old 11-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
(male)

Ratman HB User

Accutane only helped temporarily. I had to go on it for 7 months. I suffered from extremely dry lips and nose. My nose got so dry inside it would crack and bleed. Same with lips. I had severe joint aches. I could barely stand up when I got out of bed in the morning. I also lost a lot of weight. Which isn't good for a guy that was already skin and bones. I was a skeleton when I was done with Accutane. But I was clear. However, after about 6 months my acne came right back. I must admit though, it never did reach the severe level that it was at before I used accutane.

I most likely would never go on Accutane again. But my acne was so incredibly bad at that point, I didn't really care what I had to do to get rid of it.

Closed Thread