It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2005, 12:19 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Question Accutane & Romantic Relationships

I've never been in a romantic relationship while using Accutane. I know some of you must have, so I would like some advice.

When you first starting dating him/her, did you tell them that your on Accutane? How do they usually react? I don't think you can really hide it because they must surely see you putting on lip balm every 5 minutes. And though, this may sound stupid, how does it affect kissing?

And what about the dry (flakey) skin. It's definetly not a pleasant sight. For guys, do you tell the girl that you use a facial moisturizer? I always use a moisturizer before I go to bed and after I shower in the morning before I leave the house. What do you do if you were to sleep over at her place?

Those are the things I can think of off the top off my head. But if anyone has any advice as to how to deal with the noticeable side-effects when your in a relationship, especially when you first start it, please share.

Last edited by Andrew29; 12-13-2005 at 12:22 AM.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
(male)

california1 HB User
Re: Accutane & Romantic Relationships

i'll field some of these questions...

first off, you will be suprised at how many people you know or are around daily that have been on accutane. you'd be suprised at how many people know someone who's been on it... its nothing to be ashamed of. would you think less of someone who takes medicine for an infection of some sort? nope. accutane shouldnt be any differnet.

you certainly dont have to go out telling everyone you're on it, but if it comes up... why not? as of late i have been out more often because my accutane course has helped dramatically. i hve more confidence to go out and mingle. it has come up, and at first i was self concious, but i soon realized its nothing to worry about.

i say its best to tell the person you are dating or about to date that you're on the medicine. it could def. help avoid some issues that might come up. if not right away, tell 'em at a more appropriate time...like when you know this person well enough for it to be any of their business what you're on.

last but not least, real men moisturize. dont stress. girls dig it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2005, 04:49 AM   #3
(male)

chesterpart2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by california1
last but not least, real men moisturize. dont stress. girls dig it.

True story. My girlfriend helped me choose mine... Its not un-manly to take care of your skin.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

I don't see the big deal with guys using moisturizer... I thought most did anyway!

I agree with California, you'd be surprised how many people have either been on Accutane or known someone who has. I'm fairly new at my place of work, and there are a couple people I really didn't have much to talk about with. Well, I don't know how it came up but I mentioned I was on Accutane, and surprisingly, both of my coworkers had also, and a third one came up wondering about our experiences because she was thinking about going on it as well!

Don't make it the first thing you bring up on a first date... that will make you seem nervous and self conscious about it. Wait until an opportune moment (say, bringing out your chapstick for the tenth time..you could be like, "Gosh my lips are SO chapped! I'm on Accutane right now and it's a real pain." Be humourous about it though, and don't act sad or depressed when you talk about your skin/Accutane b/c whining or sounding like you want pity is NOT attractive. But doing it in a funny, almost blunt manner could very well be a good way to strike up conversation.

Good luck! Trust me, being on Accutane is not as "faux paus" as you think! ;-)

Old 12-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #5

Jackswift HB User

Man don't even bring it up, its not a big deal. If she asks, tell her. Simple as that.

Closed Thread