HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acne (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/)
-   -   BHA Questions ??? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/3493-bha-questions.html)

JimC981 05-29-2003 12:37 PM

BHA Questions ???

my acne and me are at peace right now with the products I'm using ... but my pores are still clogged ... I understand that Beta Hydroxy Acid is best for exfoliating inside the pores ... any tips/advice on the best form (lotion,gel,ect.) and the best strength (.5%, 1%, 2%) to use ... I use my BP at night only b/c of the sunburn thing so I need a BHA product to use during the day to open up my stubborn pores ... anyone's opinion is appreciated !!!

TimDream 05-29-2003 02:25 PM

The strength really depends on your skin's sensitivity. Paula's Choice (only available online) offers the best BHA products, in my opinion. She has a light lotion version in 1% BHA, a liquid solution in 2% BHA and a heavier lotion version in 2% BHA. You can email the company and request free samples of all of them! Good luck! :)

stasia12 05-29-2003 02:26 PM

your best bet with beta hyrdroxy is to start with 1% and work up to two if you think you need it . best products to use: Neutrogena's Deep Pore Treatment or Paula's Choice beta hydroxy lotion in one or two percent (go to her website_) I highly recommend the Paula's products because they are very well forumulated.

JimC981 05-29-2003 02:48 PM

who is Paula ? is she a dermatologist or what ? I've heard so much about paula's choice, and I don't even know who she is

JimC981 05-29-2003 03:10 PM

also, is it okay to use both BP and BHA... like one on one night and one on the other ? how about using BHA and AHA ?

JimC981 05-29-2003 06:58 PM

bump

poreoilyme 05-29-2003 08:46 PM

You can use BHA and put BP on top of it. That's what I do. In fact, it's really good for pulling that BP right down into your pores along with the BHA. If you want to use BHA and AHA, you have to alternate one for at night, and one for the day. You don't use them both at the same time. I find a get too oily with the BHA 2% so I usually stick to the BHA l% creamy lotion, unless I have something that really needs the heavy duty exfoliating treatment!

TimDream 05-30-2003 12:31 AM

I agree with what Poreoilyme said about the BP, BHA, and AHA. :) Personally, I can use the Paula's Choice 1% every day and the 2% every night.

Paula Begoun is not a dermatologist. She reviews products and writes books about them. She also created her own line of skincare products and makeup. She's a bit controversial because she's very opinionated about some things, and some people don't agree with her opinions. Personally, I think she's done a great service to consumers by killing a lot of misconceptions that the big corporations try to sell. I also think that she sells very high quality, no-nonsense skincare products at very reasonable prices. She tries very hard to eliminate extraneous and irritating ingredients that other companies include in their products (such as fragrance, coloring, and menthol).

toTheAtom 05-30-2003 03:08 PM

i've actually read the opposite... and, from paula begoun in her book, the beauty bible.

bha's are to be used at night because the exfoliation makes your skin very sensitive to sunlight. aha's are more suitable for use in the day because they are used to treat sun-damaged skin anyhow. i don't recall hearing anything about bp being linked to sunburn.

iwannacookie 05-30-2003 03:40 PM

salicylic acid a beta hydroxy acid? well i really like aveeno's clarifying astringent w/.5% salicylic acid and soy sterol. it keeps my face clearer and healthy-looking. i would have said clear but at the moment i have two huge pimples on chin that just came to heads.