It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
Veteran

Aaron43 HB User
Post IGNORANCE in ACNE

"The reason for ignorance and misunderstanding about acne is ironic. It is inadvertently fostered by the very commercial concerns that are spending millions of dollars to sell acne cures.
Because acne hits virtually everyone, countless billions of dollars have been spend over the years developing and marketing products to deal with this problem.
Then why do so many people feel that acne is an incurable condition?
Simple: Although those products help in the treatment of acne up to a certain point, they don't solve the problem for most people most of the time.
Acne is a disease with 4 stages. Each medication works for each STAGE."

-The Acne Cure, by Dr.Terry J Dubrow M.D.

(this book, as mentioned, has VERY logical and interesting things about HOW ACNE AND FOOD is just a MYTH!)

As said before - I have gone and experimented with periods of JUST EATING JUNK FOOD AND CHEESE AND FAST FOOD -- results -- no difference. I had CLEAR SKIN!

There is my proof.

Thats my take.

Good luck to everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2003, 05:42 PM   #2
Veteran

stasia12 HB User
THATS YOU NOT THE REST OF THE WORLD. DUH.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2003, 06:16 PM   #3
Veteran

Aaron43 HB User
Exactly. Thats why I said thats my take on the issue.

From what I have experienced - AND - from what medical doctors have told me [that ACNE and FOOD don't relate] I can CONCLUDE for MYSELF, and MYSELF only - that it doesn't relate.

-------------------

It is all different individually. There are many - like me - and many - like you.

It's not ME vs. the rest of the world.

So please do not word things incorrectly.

---------------------

This is an ACNE board - and I only meant to share MY thoughts - just as you share yours.

---------------------

Again, thats my take on ACNE.

Good luck.

Old 05-30-2003, 06:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Actually, your experiment doesn't make too much sense.

If when you ate all the horrible "bad" foods and your skin was CLEAR, then keep eating those foods. I mean, when you only eat them half the time or eat healthy you weren't clear, right? OR were you able to eat perfectly healthy and found that your skin was also clear???

Which was it or was it both? If it was both then you probably have a breakout period like the rest of us. If not, then why not eat the foods that you KNOW will keep you clear...in your case, the junk food ;-)

[This message has been edited by SweetJade1 (edited 05-30-2003).]

Old 05-30-2003, 09:19 PM   #5

AquamarineEyes HB User
I don't know....I believe for me, and for many others, it is about the overproduction of oil or skin shedding. I never had a single zit as a kid and ate lots of sugar and crap like all kids do. I believe the difference between then and NOW is that puberty has obviously happened (years and years ago) and my pores are not anything like they were as a kid. Just seems obvious in my case.

Old 05-30-2003, 11:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Right, but WHAT'S causing the overproduction of oils???? You don't have to believe that food causes acne or aggrevates it, but please try not to confuse the "evidence" before you.

You are no longer a child and once you hit puberty or your hormones go all crazy and your body becomes extra sensitive to things, the SAME rules Do NOT apply! ;-)

You can no longer use pore clogging products, eat certain foods, lack exercise, etc. Your body is changing and as such you must adjust accordingly, right?

Therefore whatever you did as a kid, doesn't apply once you are hit puberty or your hormones become imbalanced. Once puberty is over or those hormones are balanced again, then you no longer have to worry about most of the above adjustments.

For some of us, and I do believe the numbers are increasing, our hormones never balance out. So we must continue SEARCHING and EXPERIMENTING and being OPENMINDED about other methods of treatment that could works for us. For the MAJORITY of us special (lol) cases that have actually successfuly implemented this route... diet played a HUGE role in the way it affected our hormones, etc.

Some people get acne, others gain wieght, get arthritis, IBD, Diabetes, Chronic Fatigue, Rashes, Neurological disorders, etc.... So WHO says that people get to indulge (if you call eating sugar and processed fake food good for you)without any pain or sorrows of their own???

Think about it! Look all around you, how perfect or healthy do you really think everyone else is??? I've yet to know a single person who doesn't have some sort of common "problem" that a good diet, among other things, might have prevented or helped.

Old 05-31-2003, 01:42 AM   #7
Veteran

Aaron43 HB User
LISTEN TO ME.

FOR ME- FOOD DOESN'T CAUSE ACNE. PERIOD!

---------------------------------------

I HAVE EXPERIMENTED EATING JUNK FOOD ONLY = CLEAR TO MILD ACNE.

I HAVE EXPERIMENTED WITH EATING VERY HEALTHY FOODS ONLY & LOW CARB AND NO SUGAR = CLEAR TO MILD ACNE.

----------------------------------------

I HAVE EXPERIMENTED -AGAIN- WITH EATING FAST FOOD AND JUNK (gained 10 pounds) = LOTS OF ACNE.

I THEN SWITCHED - AGAIN - TO VERY HEALTHY, NO SUGAR, LOW CAR (even lost 10 pounds) = SEVERE ACNE.

-----------------------------------------
By the way - to answer your question on WHY I DIDNT STAY ON THE JUNK FOOD PLAN SINCE I HAD CLEAR SKIN?

Common sense. It was just a personal EXPERIMENT. I don't think eating junk food all the time is HEALTHY for the body overall in terms of the heart, liver and the weight production - not the darn PIMPLES! I never got the relationship between the 2.

GET THE POINT?

ACNE JUST ATTACKS WHEN IT ATTACKS. THERE IS NO REAL CURE. YOU CAN ONLY CONTROLL IT TO SOME DEGREE WITH MEDICATIONS. THATS IT.

I DID BOTH HEALTHY AND UNHEALTHY STAGES - 2 TIMES EACH - WITH NO RELATION.

FOOD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

THERE HAVE BEEN EXPERIMENTS DONE TESTING PATIENTS WITH ACNE AND WITHOUT ACNE - EACH GIVEN EXCESS AMOUNTS OF CANDY BARS EVERY DAY FOR A CERTAIN PERIOD. CONCLUSION = THE CANDY DIDN'T MAKE ANY CHANGES IN THE ACNE OF THE ACNE SUFFERERS, NOR DID THE NON ACNE GROUP GET ANY!

-To those who think ACNE and FOOD are related and are very picky on food and what to eat:

I have been there and done that. Trust me. Don't waste your time messing with your brain thinking somthing u eat will give a pimple the next morning.

ITS ALL IN THE HEAD!

ENJOY LIFE WITH ALL THE FOOD YOUR BODY FEELS LIKE EATING. dont restrict your self and become a 76 pound stick!

-By the way - tonights steak, onion rings, and french fries tasted really good.

[This message has been edited by Aaron43 (edited 05-31-2003).]

Old 05-31-2003, 01:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
LOL, that's very similar to what I had today too =) steak, mashed potatos, beans, 2 popsicals (natural) some natural juice, a yoohoo, water, a chef salad w/ham, raisens, cherries, grapes, and buttered popcorn (rarely eat breakfast).

Who say's you can't alter your diet, have fun, and have great skin too ;-)

Anyway, I never said food affected YOUR skin, but the way you've phrased certain things may send the wrong signal to others that it might. I just don't want anyone to short change themselves. Having Body Acne and brown, red, purple, or black marks on your skin left from the acne aren't acceptable in todays society, especially if you are a GIRL. The sooner you find your "cure" the faster you'll be able to prevent those things from escalating...and the less depressed and happier you'll be =)

Take Care

P.S. Chocolate doesn't hurt my skin, but soda does... That Chocolate Bar Experiment is full of holes. Very improperly done it was.

If you go to Pubmed, you'll see plenty of articles relating food (Carbohydrates, sugar, etc) and how it affects the body's hormones, which in turn can cause ACNE, Wieght Gain, Hirsutism, etc.

[This message has been edited by SweetJade1 (edited 05-31-2003).]

Old 05-31-2003, 02:22 AM   #9

Hopetimistic HB User
Hi Folks,

Please take a 'chill-pill', though this pill may or may not cure your acne; and stress is not a recognised cure for acne anyway. So, there is no point taking our frustration out on others.

We are all different in our ages, skin types, extent of acne, extent of scarring, and also gender. And what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. And even if we may be of the same gender, as they say, 'one man's meat is another man's poison'.

So, all we can do is try one product or another, based on research and experience, and see how we get on with it. Let's share our experiences to help one another, not try to create another stressful experience right here on this board.

All the Best.

I am no expert on these matters. Please consult the (supposed) experts, and seek the advice of other people as well.

Old 05-31-2003, 02:28 AM   #10
Inactive

help HB User
Food effects acne in everyone, not because of what you eat but how your brain chemistry responds, therefore indirectly having an effect on the hypothalamus in your brain.

Eating fatty foods has been proven to make acne worse, probably due to the ability these foods have in crossing the blood-brain barrier. All chronic acne is neurological and caused by anxiety/stress and the cure is for each person to find their way to relieve an 'overflow' of the fight-or-flight response 'in' their hypothalamus and calm 'activity' within their limbic system. Some do this through vigorous exercise, meditation/SR/biofeedback, pantothenic acid (not permanent), or all and others from recognizing and taking action against suppressed emotions, psychotropic medication (not permanent), or all, et cetera.

Western medicine and biological science in general can (eventually) explain with more clarity why this is happening (if research funding will allow, which it probably will not); however, biophysics and eastern medicine is the only way to "cure" chronic acne permanently.

Old 05-31-2003, 01:31 PM   #11
Veteran

Girlie19 HB User
Smile

Are you clear help?

Old 05-31-2003, 03:30 PM   #12
Inactive

help HB User
Yes, for about a 1 1/2 years now.

Closed Thread