It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2003, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

SMT12483 HB User
Post question about Paula's Choice...

Well I just got my Paula's Choice BHA 1% Lotion in the mail and I know everyone is different and it may be different for me but I was just wondering if anyone had a beginning breakout from it? I would put a BP over top the BHA every night...I don't know if that would help with the breakout. Also should I start off slowly like for the first few weeks every other day use the BHA?

I am very glad it came in the mail because just as my skin seemed to slowly be getting better more pimples are starting to form...I can just feel them...oh well.

Steph

Old 05-30-2003, 04:45 PM   #2
Veteran

stasia12 HB User
i have the same product and havent had much results-it does seem to make me get more whiteheads in the corners of my nose. but i constantly forget to apply it all the time which you MUST do with BHA cuz they take a few weeks to work........good luck. i think the lotion may be a bit moisturizing so if you have oily skin im just warning you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2003, 09:27 PM   #3
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Steph, how has your skin reacted to other products in the past? If it is extremely sensitive or dry, then I would say to start off with the BHA every other day. Otherwise, the 1% is a very gentle solution that many people can use every day. I use it every day and I love it! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif I don't need a moisturizer with it either. It moisturizes just enough, but quickly absorbs to a nice matte finish. Good luck!

I wanted to add...if you are planning to use BP with it, then make sure the BP is 2.5% or lower. Otherwise, your face could end up getting more dried out or irritated. If it does start to get red or sore, then try to not use the BP for a few days and see if it gets better with just the 1% BHA.

[This message has been edited by TimDream (edited 05-31-2003).]

Old 06-01-2003, 10:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
Or, if your skin is very oily, skip the BHA for a day or two and just use the BP and then go back to BHA with BP on top. BHA should not be the cause for the pimples, unless expelling what's under the skin happens that way for you. For me, it doesn't with BHA unlike other products. There really is no reason why this would be the cause of breakouts because it cleans the pores down deep, and doesn't clog them. Give it more time and I really think you'll see some improvement!

Old 06-01-2003, 02:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Actually, if your skin is very oily, you shouldn't even be using the 1% lotion. Why not use the 2% BHA Solution (liquid) instead?

I never touched the lotion because it does contain pore cloggers, but the solution doesn't. I've never had any problems with extra breakouts from this. It can be drying if you use it all over (since it's exfoilating), so I usually only spot treat with this. Also, it's not something I liked to use all over during the day, because it gives your skin an oily look, so if you use it all over, do it at night ;-)

You can even use this on "open" acne since for some odd reason (green tea maybe) it actually helps it to heal faster and without any burning or irritation (at least to me) and usually no marks. Very few products can heal like formula does. =)

Old 06-01-2003, 05:02 PM   #6
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by SweetJade1:

I never touched the lotion because it does contain pore cloggers, but the solution doesn't.
Actually, it's the 2% lotion that contains potential pore cloggers. The 1% lotion is fine, as is the 2% liquid solution.

Old 06-01-2003, 07:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Tim,
Well I'm glad you can use 1% lotion, but it still contains pore cloggers. Plus alot of other stuff, guess that's how the "lotion" part is made ;-)

While some of the ingredients I'm not familar with, from what I recall, the ingredients below have between a 1 - 2 Degree Pore Clogging Ability. Ingredients are scaled from 0 - 5, O meaning no zits and 5 meaning Cystic. So an ingredient with:

1 - 2 = clogged pores/tiny bumps

3 = small/medium pimples

4 - 5 = larger pimples or Cysts.

I myself sometimes end up using products that have a 1 or 2 with rarely any problems (gotta love those acids) but I NEVER use anything beyond that point. Since these below are on the 1 - 2 Degree scale, that might explain the clogged pores and tiny pimples that some have gotten.

1% Lotion has the following pore cloggers:
Cetyl Alcohol (thickener/emollient) - 2, Butylene Glycol (water-binding agent) - 1, Dimethicone (water-binding agent) - 1

2% Lotion has the following Pore Cloggers:
Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides (emollient)- 1 / 2, Almond Oil - 2, Squalene (emollient oils) - 1, Cetyl Alcohol (thickener) - 2, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E/antioxidant) - 2

2% Liquid Solution -- Butylene Glycol (water-binding agent) - 1

Of course, everyone's sensitivity to certain ingredients, as well as the WAY they are used in the formula will dictate how they will effect you. Depending on the Purity, the Percentage, and if it is Chirally correct, along with whether it has strong acne fighers, may allow one to safely use products with some pore cloggers.

HTH

Closed Thread