It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2003, 10:51 AM   #1

yoopergrl HB User
Post benzoyl peroxide-your thoughts!

Anyone have success with Benzoyl peroxide? I currently use cleocin t solution and it makes my face all shiny and oily and i am breaking out again. Just curious on brands to use and how to use and if it even works. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User
B.P is the only product i have ever really relied on,when other products have broken me out B.P has cleared me up,it's not a cure but it sure does help.
I would reccomend that you use a low strength B.P to start with and if it works stick with it.
I used 10% for many years and my skin was spot free most of the time but it was very oily and flaky,after reading about other peoples experiences with B.P on here i decided to give the 5% a go and now my skin is nearly spot free and not as dry and flaky as it was.
I still get the odd spot but lets be realisitc we are never going to prevent that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2003, 04:59 PM   #3

just_imagine HB User
I agree with the post above, in saying that BP is really the only consistent acne medication I've ever relied on. The other popular drugstore alternative, salicylic acid, does nothing for me. I took antibiotics last year for 3 months, and since then my skin has stayed mainly clear just by keeping up with my Proactiv regimen, which essentially is just a BP face wash and a 5% BP lotion.

Old 05-30-2003, 07:41 AM   #4

CHICKLET9 HB User
Angry

Personally i hated it
and i blame it for causing all the red marks i have now
everyoneis different though and i hope it works for u

Old 05-30-2003, 09:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
BP is great for preventing mild acne but your skin will get gradually get more sensitive with prolonged use and it can end up damaging your skin.

Old 05-30-2003, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

DoeZ0763 HB User
I'm interested in finding out what brands you use of the BP and at what level or %? Thanks

Old 05-30-2003, 12:19 PM   #7

Lnjsph HB User
I think BP is the best!!! I started out with minocycline and Benzamycin which i think has like 3-5 percent benzoyl peroxide. However after 5-6 months my body built a resistence to it. Anyways its been a frustrating 3-4 months right now trying to find out what medicine i'm should be on and along the way my face is breaking A LOT. Yesterday my dad who is a doctor put me on benzoyl peroxide 10% gel. I'm also supposed to be using clindamycin and taking tetracycline 500 mg twice a day. However i refrained from using the clindamycine cause it too oily for me and i think i break out from it. Has anyone used it and broke out but kept using it and it got better? Please tell me about it. Thanks

Old 05-30-2003, 02:59 PM   #8

iwannacookie HB User
i've been using clean and clear's persa gel occasionally and i guess it works for smaller pimples but i had a medium sized pimple that just did not come to a head or get smaller when treated with this gel. overall my face tolerates it well and i sometimes apply a thin layer of it on my chin as a preventative.

Old 05-30-2003, 05:30 PM   #9
Veteran

stasia12 HB User
cookie same thing just happened to me with the persa gel/ -did you use the ten percent one? i just posted a help question on the board about it-I think their formulation maybe too strong or something.
anyway-i tink bp is great for getting rid of pimples you already have but its not good as a preventitive. Also-some forms of it have really irritated my skin-i used Pro ACtive's BP lotion a few times and my skin got really red and swollen-the areas by my nose still havent recovered from it in my opinion. But that's the only really negative thing I have to say other than dont use ten percent less you really need to.

Old 05-30-2003, 06:42 PM   #10

Lindy323 HB User
I use Benzac 2.5% prescription gel. It works better than any over the counter I've tried, although I'm not sure why. Better ingredients maybe?

Old 05-30-2003, 06:45 PM   #11

MYLO HB User
Hey lindy, I use Benzac too. It works just as good as other makes. Just more value for your money. I paid $9 for a 60g tube, and Neutrogena is $10 for 18g.

Old 05-30-2003, 08:56 PM   #12

Killjoy HB User
I agree, I think BP is one of the most effective topicals. I've been using Clindoxyl (5% BP and 1% Clindamycin) once a day and minocin and it seems to be helping. I've also been exercising more and worrying less about my acne. I still break out but I try not to let it bother me so much any more.

Old 05-30-2003, 09:14 PM   #13

AquamarineEyes HB User
what happens when you put BP on a popped zit? Is it going to fill it up with gunk or scar? Should you leave a popped or aggravated spot alone overnight?

Old 06-01-2003, 11:30 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
BP is great for bleaching out redmarks and killing germs in popped pimples.

I've used it over 20 years and it continues to be essential to my skin care. I've had no damage to my skin whatsoever, and it works just as well now as it did then.

Old 06-01-2003, 12:01 PM   #15
(female)

sourpunch HB User
clearasil is the best brand to use. i only use the 10% one. i never liked persa gel. i thought it just wasnt as creamy and thick as the clearasil!

Closed Thread