It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
(female)

LauraOSU05 HB User
Switch from regular Ortho Tri-Cyclen to Yasmin with success?

I was given Yasmin by my gyno b/c I was not happy with regular OTC. I was previously on OTC-Lo for 1 year and it was HORRIBLE!! My acne has really fluctuated since I started BCPs, but I just want to find something that will HELP my skin...not make things worse!

If anyone has made the OTC to Yasmin switch, please let me know what kind of results you experienced...both good and/or bad! I am worried about getting another initial breakout, but I have been through so much crap with my skin lately, I could probably tolerate it!

Last week, my derm put me on Differin Cream (at night), Rosac Cream (in the AM), and BenzaClin Gel (spot treat in the AM)...hopefully I won't get initial breakouts from those creams as well!

I am a graduate student, so I just want to be able to put my "best face forward" when I interact with my peers, teachers, and clients....any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
(female)

LauraOSU05 HB User
Re: Switch from regular Ortho Tri-Cyclen to Yasmin with success?

Anyone on Yasmin? Come on girls!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
(female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Bump again....any input at all? There used to be tons of women on this board taking Yasmin...is it that bad????

Old 01-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
(female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Geez...this board used to be really helpful! Where are all of the women out there on BC for acne???? HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2006, 01:10 AM   #5
(female)

tracy0021 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraOSU05
Geez...this board used to be really helpful! Where are all of the women out there on BC for acne???? HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Laura, I know what you mean, there did used to be alot of posts about the bc pill and the results they were getting from them but not lately. Im trying to find out results too, hopefully the girls will start posting about what if anything is working for them.

Last edited by tracy0021; 02-23-2006 at 02:41 AM.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

My daughter tried OTC two years ago and experienced a very bad breakout that would not let up. That breakout led her to want to try accutane (which made things worse). It was bad. Anyway, I agree with the poster who said that the mono-phasic pills are better than the tri-phasic. I've wondered which one she should try next and I think I would suggest Yasmin or Apri. I seem to read the most consistent good luck with Apri. Also, some people love Yasmin and some hate it. It's all trial and error because everyone reacts differently.

Laura, are you taking Yasmin now? Please let us know your results. Good luck and Thanks.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
(female)

bahamagirl HB User

Hi,
Im on yasmin and now have my acne under control. However, im not sure if its the proactiv or yasmin!
Anyway, yasmin has definitely helped stop my cystic acne.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #8

glow83 HB User

OTC-Lo is the worse BCP that could have happened to any of us!!! I tried them and my skin was terrible. I have great sucess on OTC regular as long as I'm consistant. I've come of of them for like three months I break out then start back up and break out even worse for the first three moths back on them and then I start to clear up wonderfully by the fourth pack. My point is to remain consistant. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
(female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

glow83 - Good to see you on the board!

I haven't posted in so long b/c I thought I was doing ok on OTC...During months 5-7 I wasn't too bad. Then I started graduate school and my skin went crazy!

Stress + hormones + triphasic pill = inconsistant skin!!!!

Aren't you glad we are both off of OTC Lo...that was the worst thing I have ever used to 'help' my skin! I remember we both used to complain about OTC Lo all the time back in 2004. And I stayed on it for 11 months thinking things would get better...boy was I wrong!

Even though regular OTC hasn't been a Godsend for me, I wish you good luck with it! I know it can be hard to remember to take the pill all the time, but if you stay consistent, perhaps you can avoid the inevitable breakout period!

Old 01-15-2006, 01:15 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Hi Laura,
Well, it sounds like you're on a pretty good regimen. I'm sure the differin will help, and I bet the Yasmin will too. Have you thought about taking an oral antibiotic like minocycline or doxycyline? I know a lot of people on this board are totally against it, but I really think that that's what made my skin REALLY improve. Good luck with everything! Keep us posted Oh- I forgot to ask-- what's Rosac cream? I've never heard of it.

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 01-15-2006 at 01:16 AM.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:29 PM   #11
(female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Hey there peachy420!

I'm glad you think that my regimen sounds good...I'm pretty pleased thus far. Its been about 2 weeks and I have not developed a big cyst since I started! I am holding my breath though...worried about an initial breakout (especially since I just started Yasmin last night)!

Right now, the 3 topicals are all a bit drying--especially around my nose. I live in Ohio, so the change in winter weather probably isn't helping things out either!

Regarding your question, I have tried antibiotics before (minocycline, doxycycline, and some other one that smelled like rotten eggs!) You are right that they really improve the skin, but only temporarily. I got off of antibiotics b/c I had used them for so long that they were all giving me yeast infections. I would possibly consider going back to them, but I have heard that certain antibiotics can interfere with the effectiveness of BCPs. I also want to see how the Yasmin and topicals work over the next few months!

Rosac Cream is similar to Klaron Lotion in that it is fairly light and can go on under makeup. It is supposed to help clear up rosacea as well as clean out pores (blackheads!) The difference is that it is in a cream form...I find that it goes on my skin very smoothly! Also, Rosac contains sodium sulfacetamide 10% and sulfur 5%. I believe that Klaron does not have the sulfur. Rosac smells a little bit funky, but once you let it absorb and put a moisturizer on, I don't notice it. I will keep you posted on my progress!

Sorry my post is so long! Good luck with your regimen as well!

Old 01-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #12
(female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Bump for peachy to see!

Old 01-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraOSU05
Bump for peachy to see!
Thanks Laura Well, the Rosac cream sounds interesting. My skin is also on the dry side, so I could definitely use some extra moisture. Right now, I use Clindamycin Lotion during the day (under my moisturizer) and good ol' Retin-A 0.025% cream (generic Avita version) at night. I'm also taking Mino twice a day + Apri. I'm not too sure that the Clindamycin lotion and retin-a are doing anything (I've been using them for about a year and a half). I'm tempted to try some new topicals, but I don't want to mess things up. Are you liking the Rosac? Have you tried Klaron or Tazorac? The only topical I've tried (besides the Retin-A and Clinda) is Benzamycin, which my skin cannot handle. Anything with Benzoyl peroxide in it makes my skin turn bright red and swollen (even the lowest strength BP). It's weird because when I was in my teens, I would slather on 10% BP and my skin tolerated it just fine. I guess my skin has gotten more sensitive with my old age

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 01-19-2006 at 06:54 PM.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:04 PM   #14
(female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Hi again peachy420!

In the past, I used topicals only at night, but finally had the realization that I need something during the day too! I wanted to keep the daytime oil at bay!

Klaron was the first topical I used in the AM underneath my makeup. I liked how quickly it absorbed into my skin, but it always left a thin, shiny-looking "film." I think the film was blocking makeup from clogging my pores, but I did not get the results I wanted.

I really like Rosac because it goes on creamy--I wouldn't say that it is moisturizing (sulfur can be a bit drying at first), but I still feel like protects my skin! My cheeks, which are usually a bit red and dry are smoothing out quite a bit! I have also continued using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion for Sensitive Skin and applying jojoba oil to my really dry spots after I apply my topicals and let them absorb for a few minutes.

In my previous post, I must have jinxed myself about having no new cysts or big breakouts! I don't know if it is because of my new treatments or because I just started back to Grad School after 1 month off, but I have 1 big cyst on my forehead and a bunch of closed comedones all around my mouth! The worst part is that I can't stop squeezing and/or picking....I think I just need to cut off my nails!

I agree that my skin has changed quite a bit--especially since I turned about 19 (I'm 22 going on 23 now). I used to only get acne on my forehead, now my chin is covered with whiteheads in the crease, some blackheads, and closed comedones. I usually get cysts on my chin as well! Plus I have scars I want to get rid of....I HATE HORMONAL ACNE!!!

Good luck with your regimen...if you have any other quetions or advice for me about my new topicals and such feel free to post some more! I will be checking the board pretty much daily now! Bye!

Old 01-20-2006, 06:37 AM   #15
(female)

tracy0021 HB User

Peachy, Are you using mousturiser at night with the retin-a? this helped me tremendously when i started putting a light coating of mousturiser on my face, then the retin-a, followed by another light coat of mousturiser. my skin was so dry until i started doing this, and it works!

Closed Thread