It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2003, 07:50 PM   #1

MrsBungle HB User
Post Is makeup keeping me from healing?

Anyone out there believe that wearing make up to cover up the scars/red marks actually postpones the healing process? One Saturday when I didn't go anywhere I didn't apply any make up and the next day my skin looked a lot better. Anyone experience the same thing or believe that not wearing make up is more beneficial as far as healing? I haven't left the house in over 6 years without wearing make up so I can't imagine going anywhere without it. But, if it will help the marks go away quicker, in the long run it might be worth the embarrasment and complete humiliation I experience when not wearing makeup.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:02 PM   #2

tariel HB User
I feel the same way. When I was cooped up indoors revising for the examinations, I thought my skin looked better without the makeup, but nevertheless, there are the red scars which I simply HAVE to cover up with makeup when I step out.

I can't seem to gather the guts to not apply makeup when I head out, because it's a psychological ailment on my part that I am terribly unattractive without any cake on the face. Even when I step out to run some grocery errands face-naked, I would feel so self consious and rush through my shopping, so I can get home fast enough to `hide' my scarred self.

Makeup is essentially not good for the skin, as it doesn't allow the skin to breathe, thus resulting in clogged pores. I would think that only patient and gutsy skin sufferers would benefit in the long run by resisting makeup, because their skin would be in much better condition. Take my sis for example. Her skin's much better now, and she doesn't apply makeup, even when she was working.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2003, 08:11 PM   #3

Solana HB User
I don't think it's always true that makeup clogs pores. It's not the cleanest your face can be when you're wearing makeup, but the non-comedogenic label on the makeup packages states that it won't clog pores.

Old 06-01-2003, 02:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
I think the biggest difference in going without makeup is that your skin tone improves. All makeup tends to make my skin slightly red or blotchy or after it's washed off and then I have to continue to wear it to look okay, whereas after a few days of not using it, it stays nice and evenly toned with no redness at all. My conclusion is that any makeup is potentially irritating to the skin and builds up in the pores. If you have large pores and oily skin, how are they going to shrink if they are filled with makeup?

Less irritation and layering equals faster healing.

[This message has been edited by poreoilyme (edited 06-01-2003).]

Old 06-01-2003, 06:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
I hear you, I hear you, I hear you!!!!!

I did ask my derm if she thought make up was the culprit, and she ASSURED me that my pores were not clogged because of the make up.

She did remind me to use something oil free as we all know.

I agree with poreoilyme that when you go without it for a few days, your skin really looks a little better, but sadly, I'm not ready to unload my cosmetic collection of crap.

Old 06-01-2003, 11:13 PM   #6

Tinkerbell03 HB User
I thought that I would never ever go without make-up because of my acne, but I got tired of the daily routine and looking "lumpy"...so I tried it for a month. I felt actually better about myself and my skin did seem to approve as far as blotchiness. My skin also became more smooth except for a few small blemishes, which came to a head really fast. I have gone back to wearing make-up since and I have some deeper blemishes (I don't know if it correlates though) I do notice that when I don't wear it for a while the blotchines gets better. I think that may also happen because I get used to how I look without it.

Closed Thread